Just coming back to P3D 2.5... and everything is so dark...?

Thread: Just coming back to P3D 2.5... and everything is so dark...?

Just coming back to P3D 2.5... and everything is so dark...?

I just fired up my P3D 2.5 install for the first time in a while. I went through and uninstalled a bunch of 3rd party scenery I never really use (including FTX Global and Vector) to speed up loading times. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing a FPS improvement after deleting Vector as well, which is nice! I also added FTX KSAN, since that's a place I fly in and out of quite often in real life now...

However, it seems like everything within P3D is very dark now. This can be seen visually on the monitor (with brightness all the way up) and also in screen shots.

Is there any reason why removing and adding FTX scenery would cause this? I can't see how it would.

Where else should I look? Are there any settings within REX that might affect this? Or maybe something hidden in my nvidea control panel?

I have attached a before (bright) and current (dark) screenshot, taken in similar aircraft in a similar spot. I'm also including a recent screenshot from IL2 BoS, where you can clearly see that brightness isn't an issue.

Before:

Current:

IL2 BoS:

I noticed that too but also discovered bloom and brightness are enabled if you are using HDR. I moved the scales a bit too much and everything was nuclear bright, moved towards the halfway point, bit better. Ultimately, I still have to play with it to get it right, but your assessment was the same as mine, too dark initially.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post
    I just fired up my P3D 2.5 install for the first time in a while. I went through and uninstalled a bunch of 3rd party scenery I never really use (including FTX Global and Vector) to speed up loading times. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing a FPS improvement after deleting Vector as well, which is nice!. . . . .
    I found the first part of this statement surprising. . . ."scenery I never use". . . .FTX Global and Global Vector aren't 3rd party sceneries you "use". . .They are ground textures and landclass that make up the world you fly over. . .they are the Sim World you explore not something you fly over one day and then turn off or put away because you're bored with it (like the airplanes we spend money on then never fly). Yes, if you uninstall that world your Sim might load a bit faster but is that really that important that you give away a great view of the world below for "default". Vector shouldn't have that much of an affect on FPS either. . .if at all. Sometimes after deleting things we think are causing a drop in FPS we "think" we see an increase because we want to, not because it actually is. My personal opinion, which isn't worth much, you are wasting a beautiful experience for the sake of chasing an elusive FPS.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    I noticed that too but also discovered bloom and brightness are enabled if you are using HDR. I moved the scales a bit too much and everything was nuclear bright, moved towards the halfway point, bit better. Ultimately, I still have to play with it to get it right, but your assessment was the same as mine, too dark initially.
    Yep, it was HDR. Turned it off and it's much better now. Unfortunately, there are no sliders for HDR in 2.5, so it's just all the way off now. But I like it better, and I think this is the way I had it before.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I found the first part of this statement surprising. . . ."scenery I never use". . . .FTX Global and Global Vector aren't 3rd party sceneries you "use". . .They are ground textures and landclass that make up the world you fly over. . .they are the Sim World you explore not something you fly over one day and then turn off or put away because you're bored with it (like the airplanes we spend money on then never fly). Yes, if you uninstall that world your Sim might load a bit faster but is that really that important that you give away a great view of the world below for "default". Vector shouldn't have that much of an affect on FPS either. . .if at all. Sometimes after deleting things we think are causing a drop in FPS we "think" we see an increase because we want to, not because it actually is. My personal opinion, which isn't worth much, you are wasting a beautiful experience for the sake of chasing an elusive FPS.
    I bought FTX Global, Vector, and OLC Europe and NA because I thought I would fly over the entire world. But the reality was that I almost only fly in California, where I already have FTX NorCal and SoCal coverage.

The hassles with load times, constant scenery library order adjustments and scenery conflicts was keeping me from flying in P3D at all. Every time I tried to fly, there was some little issue. It was usually an easy fix, but it made my P3D installation more of maintanence chore than a simulator that I enjoyed. So I just decided to clear out all that stuff that I never really used. Load times are much faster, no issues now in the regions I actually fly in, and whether it makes sense or not, removing vector seems to have given me a FPS bump in some of the high density areas in my full FTX regions. A google search will show that others have seem the same thing, whether it's supported by logic or not. Bottom line - I was never really utilizing Vector, so I just eliminated it as a factor.

Edit - I forgot to add I also cleared up over 100GB of space on my hard drive.

Members who have read this thread: 0