Too close to feel comfortable!

Thread: Too close to feel comfortable!

Too close to feel comfortable!

Although I have installed FSX for many years now, I always kept flying in FS2004. I still have 3 installs FS9 as it more or less came out of the box, Silver Wings, where I mainly fly my cold war things and my absolute favourite a heavy modified version of Bill & Lynn Lyons of Golden Wings.

This evening it suddenly went wrong. After a flight in a nice Spitfire Mk.IX (Aeroplane Heaven) from and back to Croydon Golden Wings didn't start anymore

It stopped with the message that Golden Wings wan't able to find the scenery configuration file or that the file was damaged...... Well the file was right there where it should be and I could open and close it. After a few tricks which could have damaged more than I first realised, no luck...... The error message kept popping up and my Golden Wings install had really become something of the past....

In a bright moment I decided to think first before I damaged more than I could repair. And after a warm shower and a glass of cold water I realised that 64 bits Microsoft Windows 10 creates hidden files in a folder called a virtual store. There I found another Scenery.cfg, OldScenery.cfg and scenery.dat file.
    Much to my surprise they were saved at another day than the files I had in my Golden Wings install.

I decided to make some back-ups first and than replaced the scenery files with the one from the virtual store. And although not everything is perfect about about Windows10, this evening I saved my Golden Wings install.....

THANK YOU MICROSOFT!!!!

And below a picture which hopefully shows why I really love my Golden Wings this much..........

Cheers,
    Huub

The repaint on plane in front is work in progress........

Blog Entries
    I also have GW3 and Silver Wings...EXCELLENT! They always will be...
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Although I have installed FSX for many years now, I always kept flying in FS2004. I still have 3 installs FS9 as it more or less came out of the box, Silver Wings, where I mainly fly my cold war things and my absolute favourite a heavy modified version of Bill & Lynn Lyons of Golden Wings.

This evening it suddenly went wrong. After a flight in a nice Spitfire Mk.IX (Aeroplane Heaven) from and back to Croydon Golden Wings didn't start anymore

It stopped with the message that Golden Wings wan't able to find the scenery configuration file or that the file was damaged...... Well the file was right there where it should be and I could open and close it. After a few tricks which could have damaged more than I first realised, no luck...... The error message kept popping up and my Golden Wings install had really become something of the past....

In a bright moment I decided to think first before I damaged more than I could repair. And after a warm shower and a glass of cold water I realised that 64 bits Microsoft Windows 10 creates hidden files in a folder called a virtual store. There I found another Scenery.cfg, OldScenery.cfg and scenery.dat file.
    Much to my surprise they were saved at another day than the files I had in my Golden Wings install.

I decided to make some back-ups first and than replaced the scenery files with the one from the virtual store. And although not everything is perfect about about Windows10, this evening I saved my Golden Wings install.....

THANK YOU MICROSOFT!!!!

And below a picture which hopefully shows why I really love my Golden Wings this much..........

Cheers,
    Huub

Oh man! Sounds like a real close shave there, Huub.

Happy you're back in that absolutely wonderful setup - perfecto!

Repaint looking really awesome there, too!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

THANK YOU MICROSOFT!!!!

Cheers,
    Huub

FS9, you gotta love it! Kudos to you Huub!

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    ........Repaint looking really awesome there, too!
    Haha, I knew you would recognise the model Nigel. I have just started with "light and shadows", but the texture layout has not really been done with this in mind........

Cheers,
    Huub

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Haha, I knew you would recognise the model Nigel. I have just started with "light and shadows", but the texture layout has not really been done with this in mind........

Cheers,
    Huub
    LOL, yes indeed, Huub.

"Light and shadows" first - grand plan for awesome Art!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Too close to feel comfortable! / FS2004 and Win XP

Hallo friends,
    when I read what happend to Huub,
    I believe that I still have the good old WinXP on my old pc running is not a bad choice.
    Normally every time I have done an important (LOL for me) step on doing some thing I make a return point to save my configurations.
    I am sure that WinXP is still interesting as it run on low end pc and the structure is quiet easier than all othe later window versions.
    And I know where to find all the needed files of my loved FS2004.
    Certainly on a high en pc the last version of windows and last evolution of flightsim will be very nice !
    But some times if you could not afford big hardware less are better.
    I believe

Yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    Hallo friends,
    when I read what happend to Huub,
    I believe that I still have the good old WinXP on my old pc running is not a bad choice.
    Normally every time I have done an important (LOL for me) step on doing some thing I make a return point to save my configurations.
    I am sure that WinXP is still interesting as it run on low end pc and the structure is quiet easier than all othe later window versions.
    And I know where to find all the needed files of my loved FS2004.
    Certainly on a high en pc the last version of windows and last evolution of flightsim will be very nice !
    But some times if you could not afford big hardware less are better.
    I believe

Yours
    Papi
    Papi, I understand. I still run Win/XP and FS2004 and FSXA. I do plan to upgrade to Win 7 next year.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hi Guys,

I've an 8-years old MSi-laptop which runs XP, a 4-years old Dell laptop which runs Win7 and a desktop which had WinX Professional installed, but now runs Win7 again. On each of them I run CFS1,2,3, FS9, FSXAcc, WOFF, IL2 and other sims like SH3 and Trainsims. My experiences with WinX were horrible, every time I had an update, even though I choose to do the updates by hand and not automatically, all my flightsims were in trouble. As I still love to fly FS9 and CFS1 I got so fed up with WinX that I let my PC-guru remove it completely from my desktop PC and did a fresh Win7 install. Since then my troubles are over. In my opinion (but who am I ??): if you still like to fly and foddle around with the "old" flightsims, stay with XP or Win7. Maybe WinX is better for Prepar 3D, but certainly not for the "old" sims.

Safe landings,

hertzie.

There seems to be no consistency in operating system performance with fs9. My simmer friend and I both have updated Win10 systems and have zero problems running fs9, although it is the only sim we use. He used to build systems about every three years and did not regret moving on when new OS were introduced. I tend to go longer with hardware and update whenever MSOS are introduced. I think my hardware gets long in the tooth, but right now my 2012 system runs fs9 about 90% maxed out in settings with updated Win10. I'm not complaining.

I run both FS9 and FSX without any real problems on my Windows10 machine. In fact Windows10 "repaired" somethings which had gone lost in Windows7, due to an unclear conflict with my GeForce video-card. Sometimes I receive the message that FS9 did run in compatibility mode. As I don't receive this message everytime I run one of my FS9 installs, I assume it has to do with the aircraft or scenery I use.

The huge amount of updates, and the (unwanted) changes they can make to your machine, can be sometimes annoying. But in general I can say that I'm pleased with the performance of Windows10, and in this particular case I was very happy with Windows10, as it made a sort of back up for me which I hadn't done (but should have....).

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0