To FSX or not to FSX, that's the question... - Page 2

View Poll Results: What is your main flightsim program ?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • FSX (all editions)

118 64.84%
  • P3D v1/2/3

11 6.04%
  • P3Dv4

50 27.47%
  • XPlane

0 0%
  • Other (Aerofly2, FSW, DCS, etc. )

3 1.65%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To FSX or not to FSX, that's the question...

I am using both P3Dv3 and v4 right now, but will switch exclusively to v4 when Tacpack and the Superbug are made available for it. I am so over FSX with it's constant problems and CTD's!

I've just changed my PC , (1 month ago ) and I''ve still installed FSX
    Gold :-)
    The reasons of this are:
    1 - P3D is more expensive
    2- I've tens of payware addons for FSX and not all are P3D compatibile.
    3- My new machine is powerful but it should be more powerful
    to run well P3D with future upgrades ( looking in the next coming years).
    I've not much time for flight simulator and more money spent for
    it aren't a bargain for my wallet!
    The more you do, the less you dream

I used FSX boxed from Day 1... upgraded to FSX:A when it came out, and always had great luck with the sim. No major issues thru all those years. But this summer I went to P3Dv4 exclusively... 64 bit (no OOM's) and very good performance (more eye candy than FSX). Not lookin' back and still enjoying the hobby!

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Blog Entries
    I have FS9, Flightgear, FSX, FSX-SE, X-Plane and P3d-3. My favorite is still FSX because of Orbx and the incomparable freeware that has evolved between FS9 and FSX. I'm finally getting to be an "old guy" now and disposable money is harder to come by but if I have opportunity to upgrade from my "still fast" socket 775 QX9650 CPU and old but highly modified Nvidia GTX 285 that still provides gorgeous views, I intend to explore FSW a little more. It is finally coming to life as a real simulator. I will definitely get into more X-Plane 11 as it has become a very viable optional simulator. I guess I qualify as a flight-sim nut! I admit I love 'em all...
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Have FSXSE, X-Plane, FSW, and P3D V4. Almost always use P3D but use the others when the mood strikes me. Love FSW and am hoping with the release of the SDK it will take off. You get a 64 bit flightsim at a very cheap price, great graphics, and runs smoothly on my old I5 chip.

SOH-CM-2018
    I have CFS2, FS9 and FSX Acceleration installed. I fly in FSX only on my box. I like most everyone have a ton of addons installed. But my box is 7 years old and functions well. The only thing I have upgraded over the years is the GPU. I have been flying FSX for only about 3 years and I like the way it looks and works without tweaks and problems.

I am looking to a new computer when circumstances permit, and possibly to Prepar3d 64 bit but who knows?

I think my FSX has a lot of life left in it.

Joe

FSX:SE All The way.

I am primarily using P3Dv4. I transitioned from FSX (SA and SE) about one month after v4 was released. FSX is still installed, but have not looked at it for many months. DCS is also installed on my computer and I have flown it 6 or 7 times, but joystick set up is hindering my effective use of this simulator.

Although there was a learning curve with P3Dv4, the "look and feel" of it is just the best available right now (granted, however, I have not made the investment of time and money to see what XPlane 11 has to offer). The "in-home" simulation available today is on a par with commercial simulators costing millions ten years ago (minus certain regulatory agency certifications, etc.)!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

P3D3 (Development) and P3D4 (Development and Flying)
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

P3d seems to come out with a new version every few months and I've no interest in trying to keep up with that. Most of my flying is in FSX SE, but the simplicity of FS9 along with it's more freeware options is very attractive. Plus I have the discs for 9, should X ever go belly up on me. (actually I still have FS9 and GW3 installed).
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

South of Possum Lodge in the 6ix, somewhere near YKZ
    FSX:SE because I can't afford P3D. I have too much money invested in FSX payware add-ons and have no desire to start over with P3D.

P3D4 is my primary, but I've kept FSX for the P3D4 incompatible additions, a GW3 style of FS2004 of course, and I'm tinkering with AeroFly 2.
    Then there's a P3D3 installation for anything that isn't running in v4 as yet.
    But I'm finding more and more reasons to concentrate on P3D4.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Still using FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 even on new and very powerful laptop but experts told me that very powerful laptops cannot utilize crisp sharpness of FSX's ground textures from FL350 properly and better than older and weaker laptops. New and powerful laptops can utilize P3D better.

Still using FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 even though I bought P3DV3 but never bothered to install it (too afraid to screw it up)!

Regards,

Aharon

FSX-SE since most stuff works. COD and ROF for my combat needs!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Living Thru FS9, And now Heavily Into FSX..The next generation of Desk Top flight sims Will Have to stop being a game but a Serous, attempt To Flying..Recognizing It never can Happen. a Static chair ,no Gs ? Will always Make Hint Of Flight at Best.....The Area Of Flight controls-could use change as the communication factors .//Flying a 747 solo a Stretch ..A Functioning Sim crew would help..However what we Have Brings Great Joy,fun,And learning,,,This WALTER MITTY WORLD will be with us..For a long time

I have both FSXA (Gold Edition) and FS 2004. FSXA is my primary sim and occasionally I'll fire up FS9 and attempt to port something over to FSX.

Perhaps down the road I'll move onto P3D, but to be honest it's getting a bit hard for me to consider it seriously. I've spent so much money and effort to tweak and get my current sims running the way I like, that the thought of having one more is not in the cards. There are days it seems that I spend more time playing technician on getting things installed and tweaked, than just firing up the sim and flying.

I still have Win 8.1 as my OS. If ever I replace my current computer and migrate to Win 10 (shiver), I will likely start all over again with FSX and possibly go to P3D. This is if the old folks home will let me have a computer in my padded room.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

P3D4, but keeping FSX Gold installed as well, both for testing and for stuff that isn't 64 bit compatible (yet?). Both SDK's as well.
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

FSX only. Too much invested in addons.
    Greenhouse357

Happiness Consultant
    Is FXS still a thing?
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

FSX almost exclusively. P3Dv4.1 has potential but way, way, too many $$ invested in FSX, AND too much is still not compatible with P3DV4 (at least not yet). Once the lack of compatible AI gets solved, and more of the many flyable airplane options available in FSX become available for P3dv4, maybe would actually fire it up occasionally. Right now it just sits there on the hard-drive, unused.

Bill

I have P3D V4.1 as my primary, I still have FSX-SE on my system for development purposes. I had to re-install everything on my machine last month and have not found a reason to re-install P3D V3 yet.

BTW, I wonder if the fact that this poll is in the FSX section of the forum skews the result in favor of it.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I used P3D4 primary, but I've kept FSX for the P3D4 incompatible additions and
    for all my beloved and expensive payware addons, which i had bought before
    P3D4 was in sight.
    I'm currently not able, to buy all those great addons again,( PMDG,A2A,AS,FS Labs,CS . . .)
    so FSX will stay for quite a while on my hd.

Interesting side note.

If you go to the Aerosoft forums, look at their Annual Platform poll.

Their results are totally opposite what I'm seeing in the SOH poll and puts P3D V4 way out in front.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

FSX-A for me. I can't afford P3D. This rules me out anyway "Prepar3D is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product."

2 computers old one which serves as a joinfs server with win 7 and FSX:ACC... bare bones only with a few ships and Tacpac
    2nd one... new killer I7 7700 & GTX 1080 and sliders jacked all the way to the right with P3Dv3( so i can run the VRS Hornet & Tacpac) and P3Dv4 so i can fly everything else. I'll probably delete v3 once v4 has the Super Bug and Tacpac are released for it... still deciding. depends on if i have any more issues with the v3
    Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

Members who have read this thread: 0