Might as well rename this Forum FSX / P3D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might as well rename this Forum FSX / P3D

Might as well rename this Forum FSX / P3D

Seems as everything is bought in here now regardless of if it is FSX or P3D so might as well combine the 2 for a while until there is a distinct shift away from FSX.

Just a thought is all
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

I am sorry, but I cannot agree with that statement. Although many FSX add ons work perfectly well in P3D, the two sims, especially since the introduction of P3D version 4, are sufficiently different to warrant two forums.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I agree, there are some addons that are only P3D

and several developers have stated they will cease with fsx development

while there are many addons that work with both there are many that dont, that alone is enough to warrant the separate forums

There is a separate forum for Prepar3D, it's just that some members don't use it.

It's a little frustrating at times to read posts only to discover its a P3D issue that doesn't apply to FSX.

And it gets confusing when a specific product is developed for both FSX and P3D. Where should that topic go?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

It's the same with preview wip shots... mostly P3D in FSX forums.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Notice the Aerosoft AN-2 was just released for P3D only. So why is the announcement pinned in the FSX General Discussion forum??
    -- WH

I think the reason for this is that Most developers are developing for both (for now) and the FSX forum has the most traffic. Since the product will be for both, it makes sense. Take the XF-92A project. All my shots are from P3Dv4.1 but it's compatible with all platforms. FSX/A P3Dv1-4
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

This is a topic that has been bantered back and forth for some time now. The answer as to why P3D topics end up in the FSX Forum is quite simple. . .the solution to keeping them where they belong is not.

The Answer: We are creatures of habit. Until the release of P3D we were either here or in the FS9 Forums. Those two have a very dedicated and active following and the Sims have remained separate for the most part. When P3D arrived it was viewed initially with much caution based on who could use it (and we will not venture there for obvious reasons), suffice to say as the "new kid on the block" it started out slow and folks wanted to see feedback from users before taking the leap, keeping one foot in P3D and the other planted firmly in FSX where they were comfortable.

Over time, and with the familiarity everyone had with FSX and all it's quirks, while they would post a question in the P3D Forums, responses were few and far between and so. . .frustrated with the lack of assistance they came back to where "everybody knows everybody" and where responses came quickly and problems were solved by the amazing brain-trust that resides in this forum. P3D users are not here to bring down the FSX forums, many of us have both Sims still installed and despite the fact that P3D has it's own Forums, unless it becomes more active you will continue to see questions posted that pertain to that Sim.

The Solution: Simple, there is none, as the saying goes. . ."You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em' drink". If users of P3D aren't getting the info or answers or assistance they need on the dedicated Forum, then they will return to their roots.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

^ That be true... that forum is boring as ****!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Whilst I do not want to discount any opinion re. separation, I find myself in agreement with the thought that when it comes to SOH, this particular forum is where I go- period. The Prepar3d forum isn't even an afterthought (right or wrong).... Apologies to any who are miffed.

Best- C

PS- Hey! Who moved my cheese?

Blog Entries
    Speaking as a LONG TIME member I'm just happy this site is so busy. I could care less where they post because all of us have brought our collective experience into this forum to make it a place for answers!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I guess all that time I spent in the FS9 forum seeing FSX posts just made it where when I see P3d posts here, it seems normal.

(aka what goes around comes around)
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I online have P3D but have to check also FSX forum at least for the news of the new releases. It's not a big issue after all.

And to make it 'worse' , there are TWO very, very different P3D editions, i.e. P3Dv1/v2/v3 and P3Dv4. I still think that an FSX forum combined with P3Dv1/v2/v3 could work very well. Not much difference, is there... A seperate P3Dv4 forum would make perfectly sense because it is a completely different animal compared to FSX and P3Dv1/v2/v3 all together. In my flightsim book it's called The Mother Of All Flightsims. ( @ the OP, the shift away from FSX of P3Dv4 couldn't be more distinct if you ask me... )

Anyway, i tried to cook something up to (hopefully) get to the bottom of how many of us actually and statistically 'belong here', aka fly with FSX and that's it, or just come here because it's home.

Can we have your vote, please ? : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s-the-question

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Notice the Aerosoft AN-2 was just released for P3D only. So why is the announcement pinned in the FSX General Discussion forum??
    We try our best to keep to discussion in the correct forums. Not sure why the Aeosoft AN-2 was pinned here. Tom didn`t do it. No harm done. We try to keep the two separate.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Speaking as a LONG TIME member I'm just happy this site is so busy. I could care less where they post because all of us have brought our collective experience into this forum to make it a place for answers!
    Ted
    Completely agree Ted.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    We try our best to keep to discussion in the correct forums. Not sure why the Aeosoft AN-2 was pinned here. Tom didn`t do it. No harm done. We try to keep the two separate.
    i would dare say, because the fsx version is due for release shortly, the a huge benefit i can see by it being pinned here is that people can see the pros and cons before its released for fsx, and the paints and all the other tips and bit n pieces that go with a normal release

SOH-CM-2021
    In the greater scheme of things, does it really matter what it's called? I read posts that don't apply to FSX/A that I use, it doesn't worry me in the slightest, and I find some of them to be very interesting.

Merry Christmas.

Me and my thoughts
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by AusWilko View Post
    Me and my thoughts
    Exactly!

I'm a bit strange, FSX, P3D and FS2004 all get checked out when I log in, along with a couple of special interest to me forums.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    My mistake! I've moved it to the P3D forum and merged it with Alehead's thread.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

The P3D forum was created because users wanted it. There were too many posts regarding P3D only in the FSX forum, so I think it was a right decision to split ot off.

Many posts are purpose driven, and in the moment there's still a relatively large intersecting set of common features (and addon products) between FSX and P3D that result in mentioning P3D here in the FSX forum. I think there's nothing really wrong about that.

Another reason for the P3D forum to be quieter is that there are not as many people using it as there are using FSX, and many P3D users do use it in the same way they did with FSX. If there would be more people that would use special features of P3D (Sim-Director, virtual reality functions, etc) I think we would have more specific posts there.
    But that will come, sooner or later.

My sentiment is that we are just in the right setup, for now and anything that will come in future.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Yes, but with this "correctness" comes the fact that my Annuschka anouncement, which heralded the start of something truly BRILLIANT is now buried in a forum visited by barely a couple dozen people.

All this political correctness tends to create problems rather than the supposedly intended "solutions". Still- as with everything- IT IS WHAT IT IS... yet, why these issues are given importance is beyond a simpleton like me...

C

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    A P3D files section was also made. I have kept an eye on it and although it is being used, some of the dual use stuff (for FSX but runs great in P3D) only makes it the FSX section. those files for both sims should be in both categories.

Just my opinion.

Bob

My primary section of the forum is this one, the FSX General Discussion. After I've read all the latest posts of interest, I then move back to the full Simulators area to see if there are any new downloads and, if necessary, any posts of interest in the FS 2004 and P3D areas. Not always, but sometimes.

If I start reading posts (and there can be a lot) in the FSX General Discussion, I assume its about FSX and not one of the other flight sims. That's all. Nothing negative.
    -- WH

Members who have read this thread: 0