Mario's freeware Dassault Mercure is finally out!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mario's freeware Dassault Mercure is finally out!

Mario's freeware Dassault Mercure is out!

One, if not the greatest commercial failure among jet transports (12 units built), but a failure that paved the way for the Airbus A320 that shook the medium size airliner market some 15 years later.

I've followed the development of this bird on FSDev and Mario really did put in some effort to make the experience as authentic as possible.

Download (scroll down):
    https://simviation.com/hjg/aircraft1...t/dassault.htm

- Edit:

Since my FSX is down and out due to the current program window bug, I can only dig through the manual, files and look at the model in MCX.
    Consider me blown away regardless!

- Edit2:

- FSX native
    - 3D Interior
    - HUD(!)
    - Wipers and icing on windows
    - System failures (even hypoxia upon cabin pressure loss)
    - Accurate autopilot (no autothrottle for IAS hold)
    - All systems simulated
    - Switch sounds

This is payware for free, folks!

NOTE: You will need to download and install at least one livery from the HJG page to use the aircraft!

- Edit 2:

Alhthough I can't find any hard numbers, you might want to commit a bit of historical heresy and increase the volume of the Center1 tank by about one third or half in the aircraft.cfg. And/or increase the MTOW by three to five thousand pounds.
    By default, the aircraft has very short legs (500 nm with a full load), so the increased tankage will come in handy.

I agree, it's a lot of quirky french fun. My FSXSE seems to be working now and only crashes if I change aircraft in sim rather than ending a flight and returning to the select screen.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I've just installed the Dassault Mecure in P3DV4

After exchanging the

dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau
    MN_Mercure_dsd_xml_config.gau
    MN_Mercure_dsd_xml_config2.gau

against Doug Dawson's 64bit gauges

take off to the first test flight.

It seems that all works.

I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but judging from the documentation and screenshots, this one looks like a definite keeper! As a systems junkie, there seem to be plenty of delicious switches to flick and buttons to push. Well done to Mario/HJG for releasing such a labor of love. My FS install is almost totally lacking in French scenery, so this gives me the perfect chance to hunt down some good freeware for short-haul Air Inter flights within her borders.
    -Mark

Thanks for the heads up on this one Bjoern. Indeed an interesting aeroplane, right aeroplane wrong time perhaps. Very much a French 737-100. What they did build certainly lasted well right into this century.

Postbaer61: Please what or how to exchange files to work in P3D4?
    Thanks
    Eduardo

Interesting design indeed, no doubt who it was competing against.

Love the cockpit! Out of curiosity, did the design come with a HUD initially, or artistic licensing applied?
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Wow! Apparently when I did a search earlier, it took me to some comparable pictures that were a 737. Here's what I found after searching again:

And, to make it even greater, this was included 20 plus years ago....impressive indeed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cockpit_NetB.jpg  
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ezunino View Post
    Postbaer61: Please what or how to exchange files to work in P3D4?
    Thanks
    Eduardo

Download this two files

dsd_p3d_xml_config_x64.zip
    dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.zip

at Doug Dawson's side
    https://www.douglassdawson.ca/

then

extract the dsd_p3d_xml_config_x64.zip

file to the Dassault Mecure Panel Folder

and rename dsd_p3d_xml_config_x64.dll

to MN_Mercure_dsd_xml_config.dll

extract the dsd_p3d_xml_config_x64.zip a second time

to the Dassault Mecure Panel Folder

and rename dsd_p3d_xml_config_x64.dll

to MN_Mercure_dsd_xml_config2.dll

extract the dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.zip

file to the Dassault Mecure Panel Folder

and rename dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64.dll

to dsd_fsx_xml_sound.dll

delete or back up the default .gau files.

dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau
    MN_Mercure_dsd_xml_config.gau
    MN_Mercure_dsd_xml_config2.gau

That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by mgchrist5 View Post
    I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but judging from the documentation and screenshots, this one looks like a definite keeper! As a systems junkie, there seem to be plenty of delicious switches to flick and buttons to push. Well done to Mario/HJG for releasing such a labor of love. My FS install is almost totally lacking in French scenery, so this gives me the perfect chance to hunt down some good freeware for short-haul Air Inter flights within her borders.
    I am in the same boat, for whatever reason I have not got any French scenery so it will be a chance to correct that. I wonder what is available?

Thank You Mario/HJG for this
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Just D/L this jewel. She definitely is a labor of love. Extreme amount of system detail to enjoy while also having an expedient path for a quick jump in and go. She's very demanding and requires constant attention, but will reward you with a great sense of accomplishment when you're finished. Excellent work..Great job, Mario and company.

Quote Originally Posted by AusWilko View Post
    I am in the same boat, for whatever reason I have not got any French scenery so it will be a chance to correct that. I wonder what is available?

http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/france.html
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Thanks for that Naismith
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by AusWilko View Post

Not to toot my own horn, but.......

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...oreal-scenery/

The thread also includes a lot of links to some great freeware autogen, 3D models, and airports.

Thanks for the heads up Bjoern. It does look like a fascinating aircraft, and one which I wasn't aware of.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Many thanks for this HU!!!
    Brings me back several years ago... when I was six...
    Cheers,

Stéph.

I just combed through freewarescenery.com, as Naismith noted. I also looked at some old Air Inter timetables from the '70s-'80s (http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/it.htm) to get an idea of the hubs/routes/destinations served by the carrier, then just worked backwards from there trying to find some decent FS examples.
    -Mark

Thanks a lot posbaer61
    Eduardo

Wow, what a gift. Such a great jet. I kinda like the short legs too, quick flights are all I can do now.

It looks good too, doesn't it?

Many thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Just did a clumsy first flight from Denver to Las Vegas, from cold and dark to the gate. The auto pilot needs some getting used to, but everythings seems to work fine, it's a very impressive freeware!
    Last edited by Stefano Zibell; December 8th, 2017 at 14:00.

Sincere thanks for an excellent add-on.

Finally had some time to test this one.

First, altering the tank volume is not necessary to increase endurance. Just increase the MTOW by 10000 pounds as this is its most restrictive characteristic. Imagine having an aircraft with the capacity of a 727 (170 seats, 190000 lbs) with the maximum takeoff weight of a smaller 737-200 (120 seats, 128000 lbs). Not a great combination.

Second, the aircraft makes a great impression inside and out. Yes, the interior textures could come with a higher resolution, but who cares when this thing has brains!?

Third, I love the cockpit caution and warning sounds. Distinctly different from the klaxons in the US counterparts.

Fourth, I don't think that the autopilot performs as it's supposed to. Airspeed hold hardly works (if at all), NAV/LOC mode more often than not deviates from the set course and snakes around the signal and altitude select mode just nails the vertical speed at +/- 1000 fpm instead of leaving the vertical speed to the pitch or IAS hold modes. Fortunately...

Fifth, the airplane is an excellent hand flier.

Sixth, the HUD is really cool!

Seventh, you can get rid of the fixed paths for the sound gauge and subsequently install the plane in any folder you want. Copy dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau from "panel" to "sound" and alter the panel.cfg line to point to the new location like this:
    Code:
    gauge31=..\sound\dsd_fsx_xml_sound!Sound,  1053,930,20,20, Mercure_sound.ini
    Then open sound\Mercure_sound.ini and get rid of any instance of "./SimObjects/Airplanes/Mercure MN FSX/sound/" in the [Sounds] section. The resulting lines will look like this:
    Code:
    Sound00=GPWS/10.wav
    Sound33=Mercure_APU_start.wav
    Eighth, add the following to the end of the sound.cfg to get rid of the annoying fuel pump sounds:
    Code:
    [fuel_pump]
    maximum_volume=3000
    Ninth, some fictional liveries of U.S. or international carriers would be cool, in case somebody has an urge to paint it.

Tenth, the dynamic checklist is awesomely helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Yes, the interior textures could come with a higher resolution, but who cares when this thing has brains!?
    This aircraft is absolutely brilliant but IMHO the VC interior and overhead panel are terribly lo-res even for a freeware model. The systems programming is very impressive. That's true.

To me, it is a very nice model built by a one-person team...

I do have to say its a very nice looking model with lots of nice animation. My first three test flights I could not get her off the ground or if I did could not gain any altitude or speed before falling back to earth. Finally figured that out, by default she is loaded with full fuel and full payload and is very over weight. So dump all the cargo and 34 of the 162 passengers and finally airborne. I experienced some of the autopilot issues others have reported, I tried a simple KSFO to KLAX flight settling in at FL260 on autopilot, not paying attention by the time it was ready to start the descent I noticed I was at FL390 (oops).

My biggest problem was getting her to land, I tried four attempts to land, it seamed no matter what I did I could not get it to slow down enough to settle on the runway, 0% throttle, gear down, full flaps and spoilers and still would not slow down enough, finally had to call it quits.

One thing that did annoy me about it was at start up it was neither cold and dark nor ready to fly, I wish they would pick one camp or the other, and preferably options for both.

While its a very nice model with many excellent features, and my collection has very few french airliners in it, I don't think I will keep this one in the hanger.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Joe,

there is a part of the panel with buttons where you can switch the states between cold&dark and ready to go.( right of the landing gear lever )
    Take a deeper look at the manual , its in there with an explanation. From the top of my head , I think it #s the "0" and "I" buttons, ( on the panel , not your keyboard!)

Hope this helps a bit ,

OLiver

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I do have to say its a very nice looking model with lots of nice animation. My first three test flights I could not get her off the ground or if I did could not gain any altitude or speed before falling back to earth. Finally figured that out, by default she is loaded with full fuel and full payload and is very over weight. So dump all the cargo and 34 of the 162 passengers and finally airborne. I experienced some of the autopilot issues others have reported, I tried a simple KSFO to KLAX flight settling in at FL260 on autopilot, not paying attention by the time it was ready to start the descent I noticed I was at FL390 (oops).

My biggest problem was getting her to land, I tried four attempts to land, it seamed no matter what I did I could not get it to slow down enough to settle on the runway, 0% throttle, gear down, full flaps and spoilers and still would not slow down enough, finally had to call it quits.

One thing that did annoy me about it was at start up it was neither cold and dark nor ready to fly, I wish they would pick one camp or the other, and preferably options for both.

While its a very nice model with many excellent features, and my collection has very few french airliners in it, I don't think I will keep this one in the hanger.

Members who have read this thread: 2