Scenery Missing

Thread: Scenery Missing

Hybrid View

Scenery Missing

I have recently activated Maskrider's Australian and New Guinea airfields and Pen32Win's New Guinea airfields. All the required objects have been added and filelists have been deleted. I followed all the readme instructions. On restarting the sim I find that there is no infrastructure. Scenery Setting has been set to maximum density but this makes no difference. Does anyone have any idea what is happening? I can't recall anything like this happening with my old installs on an XP system. My new PC has Windows 10 but I can't imagine that this would make any difference. Any ideas?

Thanks, Michael

Michael,

Some educated guesses...

Did you run GSLman to add the objects to the cfs2.gsl file? If you don't the sim has nothing to call for those objects at the airfield locations.

If you did, it might mean WIN 10 is stopping changes to the gsl file? Do you have scenery objects in other locations?

Thanks Uncle. I checked out the Darwin scenery and found that the GSL was a no show. I also used GSLman to remove all the added gsl files and then reinstalled them. Still no show. I've had no error messages from win 10, nor have I had my antivirus identify any of these files as dangerous, which it used to do with gauge files. Stock scenery shows up so this isn't a general scenery problem. Not quite sure where to look next.

Can you report on the cfs2.gsl filesize & date modified? That would tell us whether it was accepting changes (or not)

Icon22 Reply...

Ravenna,

Does Windows 10 have a User Account Control system similar to Windows 7?
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Library Staff
    Hi Michael,

MR's Australian airfields are not GSL but his New Guinea ones are. Does the GSL scenery show up for those?

By the way there is an updated GSL version of Darwin in Rami's Raid on Port Darwin mission package.

Nice to see you back.

Kevin

Thanks UncleTGT, Andrew and Kevin.
    In no particular order: Windows 10 has a User Account Control System. I assume mine is turned on as I am continually being asked whether I want apps to make changes to my PC and whether I will really want to delete or modify files.
    The GSL file is 263kb. When I add or remove using GSLman the main GSL file remains the same size. I did wonder whether the other installs I have encountered the same phenomenon. I went into my MTO install and added the Italy.GSL through GSLman. The main GSL file size increased straight away. My best guess is that my system doesn't allow changes to the program added from the disk, but I have no way of showing that this is the case. In all essentials the original (PTO) install is identical to the other installs.
    I did add the NG GSL by Maskrider, as well as the GSL for Darwin, which I assume includes the civil airfield
    Thanks for the input UncleTGT, Andrew and Kevin. Mulling over what you have said makes me think that there might be a workaround (or two). I will try adding the PTO GSLs in another install and copying the updated main GSL file from there to the PTO.
    I do look with envy at refurbished XP boxes available on Amazon but unavailable in Australia! I'll let you know whether the swap works.
    Cheers

Wierd workaround: I added the PTO gsl areas to my MTO GSL and copied it into the PTO install, overwriting the original after saving a copy. The file increased in size and now all the scenery turns up. Guess I'll have to add all my PTO scenery in one go this way, to avoid having to do this elaborate maneuvre more than is necessary. Interestingly, the same trick didn't work using the GSLman with my WWI install.

Members who have read this thread: 0