Straight Razor Shaving At Home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight Razor Shaving At Home

Question Straight Razor Shaving At Home

Anyone doing this yet?
    I've "graduated" to this cartridge based straight razor - but haven't achieved the nirvana of a full "switch blade" razor yet....

the last time i shaved was in 1982,35 years ago...so nope,not used it...lol.i wished the Amish in me would allow a nice long beard,but it gets to about 10 inches below my chin and then the longest ones start to fall out,so it never gets any longer.if youve seen a pic of the Amish,how the beard never fully covers the face,just sort of along the chin line,and bairn right below the lower lip,they dont shave those areas ,its natural...and im afflicted with it...my great grand parents on dads side were Amish,as were most all of them in that side of the family,they became Mennonites after a move to Lebanon OR in the late 1800s,they started an Amish community and there is an Amish cemetery to the east of Lebanon which has no one other then my family in it...just because they were all the Amish there..lol..

Seems like a lot of money for a razor, but if it works for you, price is no object. I use disposable cartridge razors and a pre-shaving lotion that allows for a smooth close shave without the razor bumps and it doesn't clog up between the blades. The smoothness of my face adds about 5 MPH when flying in an open cockpit, or on the Harley, as it were. Thinking about growing my go-tee back tho.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Seems like a lot of money for a razor, but if it works for you, price is no object.
    Ha! That's cheap compared to the "Genesis" single-blade razor...

...only $399 at Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/OneBlade-Razo...c85df030f37603

They also offer a less expensive one that's mostly polymer, but only $49.95:
    https://shop.onebladeshave.com/products/oneblade-core.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Icon2

LoL....
    But ya' know, there's truth to only needing one blade for a close shave......I mean barbers don't use multi-bladed razors....

But on a personal level - I don't see any improvement with the multi-blade razors.....

ROFLMAO, guys THIS is a straight razor.

Exactly!!!
    Which is why I opened the thread with "haven't achieved the nirvana of a full "switch blade" razor yet...."
    Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    ROFLMAO, guys THIS is a straight razor.

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Seems like a lot of money for a razor, but if it works for you, price is no object. I use disposable cartridge razors and a pre-shaving lotion that allows for a smooth close shave without the razor bumps and it doesn't clog up between the blades. The smoothness of my face adds about 5 MPH when flying in an open cockpit, or on the Harley, as it were. Thinking about growing my go-tee back tho.

BB686
    Blackbird,
    It might seem expensive but you MORE than make up the cost in replacement blades - i.e. they're much cheaper than disposable cartridges....

Hmmmm......I normally buy a 10-pack of Gillette disposable razors at Target for $8.99. These will last for about a year. I'm retired so I don't have to shave every day. $149 plus shipping and tax may come to about $155-$158. I can get about 16 1/2 years worth of shaving for that price.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Blackbird,
    It might seem expensive but you MORE than make up the cost in replacement blades - i.e. they're much cheaper than disposable cartridges....
    I use the disposable razors, handle and all, just like Mr. Zippy here. Seems that it would take a steady hand to use the "switchblade" straight razor in Pennzoil3's pic. My step father use a razor like that and honed it sharp every morning with a 2 sided strop belt. He lathered up with ivory soap and was ALWAYS cutting and nicking himself with it. Probably why I never went that direction.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

i have my great grandfathers straight razor still.both grandfathers,Grandpa Lee's is from the 1910s.but my mothers father ,who was born in 1889 and the one i have was his fathers,ocfourse he used it as did my oldest uncle,both of moms brothers faught in WWII but mom was born late in life,she was born in 39.anyway..my point i have some old as dirt straight razors sstill.

When I first saw the ad for "Occam's Razor" I thought it might be an "Onion" joke story...
    ...now I know better.

I've looked very closely, but I never found any blade refill packages advertised, and of course no price either!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    When I first saw the ad for "Occam's Razor" I thought it might be an "Onion" joke story...
    ...now I know better.

I've looked very closely, but I never found any blade refill packages advertised, and of course no price either!
    Bill,
    These are the type of blades that my Occam's Razor uses....(price included)....

https://www.classicshaving.com/colle...blades-20-pack

https://www.classicshaving.com/colle...blades-15-pack

Ex-squeeze me, why would you have to replace those blades? Doesn't the razor come with a sharpening system?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Ex-squeeze me, why would you have to replace those blades? Doesn't the razor come with a sharpening system?
    No.
    Think of them as advanced disposable safety razors like these....
    https://www.classicshaving.com/colle...e-blades-short

I was using blades like that when you were only a twinkle in your dad's eye and they were rubbish then as now.

Unfortunately it is best to stick with the latest gilette powerglide razor which leaves everything else except perhaps wilkinsons for dead.

A proper cut throat is still used by professional " gentlemans hairdressers" but for a layman it would be a steep bloody learning curve.

Try it.
    Cheers Chris

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    I was using blades like that when you were only a twinkle in your dad's eye and they were rubbish then as now.

Unfortunately it is best to stick with the latest gilette powerglide razor which leaves everything else except perhaps wilkinsons for dead.

A proper cut throat is still used by professional " gentlemans hairdressers" but for a layman it would be a steep bloody learning curve.

Try it.
    Cheers Chris
    Chris,
    Been there, done that with the Gillette Fusion Power glide......

Nope, I'm sticking with this...much better shave and cheaper!!!

Many, many years ago, when I was still in the Corps, I found a beautiful, antique straight razor at a gun show. I thought, "What the Heck?". I took it home, found a cup, brush and soap set at, of all places, the Base Exchange. I picked up a strop from I still don't remember where.
    I take a lot of pride in the saying "I never cut anything I'm not aiming at" (ok, I nearly cut off my left index finger ONCE, but that was the only time), so I thought I'd give shaving with the system a shot. I learned how to hold it (Most critical, to my thinking), and awaaaay I went.
    First few times, it took me nearly 45 minutes to get it all going. How to strop it being the hardest to learn, for me. I'd been using my forearm hairs to test my knives' edges when sharpening them, and that translated very nicely to shaving. Thankfully, I only have to shave once, maybe twice a week, even in boot camp, where they used the ID Card test to see if we had shaved. Apparently, the 1/8 Nez Perce was a huge benefit for me No chest hair to speak of, but very light, soft facial hair too. Full head of nice, LONG, chestnut brown hair, even though my beard's gone grey.
    Anywho, once I really got going, I got quite good at using a straight razor. As long as it's nice and sharp when you start, it shaves like a dream, FOR ME. I love knives, swords, and other edged weapons, so stropping the razor became second nature for me. Only disadvantage, when I was still in, was I couldn't take my razor with me, especially when ordered to use MAC AIR. They frown on blades like that aboard airplanes, even in checked luggage. The MPs get upset when they inspect your seabag and find a straight razor. It's a "dangerous weapon" in their minds. I'd just grab a bag of cheap disposables to take with me. THOSE they don't mind. OH WELL!
    I even got to where I could give a passable barraks hair-cut, and use my razor for trimming around the ears. Just like the barber shop does it, only I was a lot cheaper, for guys that had inspection between paydays. Never took an ear off a fellow Marine once!

Now, I'e given up on shaving entirely. Haven't for the last 6 years. I still have my razor, though. Beautiful piece of history. I've even grown a decent beard, at last. Looked scraggly as heck for the first 3 or 4 years, but it's come in finally. Mostly grey, but what the heck. I'll live with it. I am slowly approaching lower-middle age, so grey in my beard is to be expected.

Well, that's my straight razor story...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Bill,
    These are the type of blades that my Occam's Razor uses....(price included)....

I'd have to use these, as my facial hair is more like steel brush than hair, I kid you not! Disposable razors are a joke. Even the best available dull so quickly that it takes three of 'em to get one shave!

I have a Wahl beard trimmer that I use every morning to "mow the lawn" so to speak, and then use my Norelco Wet/Dry triple-head electric razor to do the final work. By 3pm I need to shave again if I have to go out for a meeting...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Many, many years ago, when I was still in the Corps, I found a beautiful, antique straight razor at a gun show. I thought, "What the Heck?". I took it home, found a cup, brush and soap set at, of all places, the Base Exchange. I picked up a strop from I still don't remember where.
    I take a lot of pride in the saying "I never cut anything I'm not aiming at" (ok, I nearly cut off my left index finger ONCE, but that was the only time), so I thought I'd give shaving with the system a shot. I learned how to hold it (Most critical, to my thinking), and awaaaay I went.
    First few times, it took me nearly 45 minutes to get it all going. How to strop it being the hardest to learn, for me. I'd been using my forearm hairs to test my knives' edges when sharpening them, and that translated very nicely to shaving. Thankfully, I only have to shave once, maybe twice a week, even in boot camp, where they used the ID Card test to see if we had shaved. Apparently, the 1/8 Nez Perce was a huge benefit for me No chest hair to speak of, but very light, soft facial hair too. Full head of nice, LONG, chestnut brown hair, even though my beard's gone grey.
    Anywho, once I really got going, I got quite good at using a straight razor. As long as it's nice and sharp when you start, it shaves like a dream, FOR ME. I love knives, swords, and other edged weapons, so stropping the razor became second nature for me. Only disadvantage, when I was still in, was I couldn't take my razor with me, especially when ordered to use MAC AIR. They frown on blades like that aboard airplanes, even in checked luggage. The MPs get upset when they inspect your seabag and find a straight razor. It's a "dangerous weapon" in their minds. I'd just grab a bag of cheap disposables to take with me. THOSE they don't mind. OH WELL!
    I even got to where I could give a passable barraks hair-cut, and use my razor for trimming around the ears. Just like the barber shop does it, only I was a lot cheaper, for guys that had inspection between paydays. Never took an ear off a fellow Marine once!

Now, I'e given up on shaving entirely. Haven't for the last 6 years. I still have my razor, though. Beautiful piece of history. I've even grown a decent beard, at last. Looked scraggly as heck for the first 3 or 4 years, but it's come in finally. Mostly grey, but what the heck. I'll live with it. I am slowly approaching lower-middle age, so grey in my beard is to be expected.

Well, that's my straight razor story...
    Pat☺

Glad you enjoyed it
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Charter Member 2016
    I've been blessed with a fairly light beard growth . . so, I can use a quick and clean electric and off I go . . !
    "Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

I started shaving with one of those old "safety razors" with the double edge blades you drop inside it. There wasn't nothing safety about that thing in my hands. I was a bloody mess everytime I tried to use it.

These days, I use a cheap disposable in the shower with bar soap. The one I'm using now, is still cutting fine after over a year.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yiiiiiikes!

Band of bloomin' cut-throats, if you ask me...

Off to get a proper shave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoP9ONunkxw
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

When I was at Clark Air Base, in the PI, there was a little barber shop in the tower building. Just a couple of chairs. But they gave a fantastic straight razor shave. Hot towel, cup full of foam all over the face, a few minutes later, after a few tense moments when there was a very sharp blade on your throat and face, another nice hot towel, some nice after-shave, and away you go. Great shave. Smooth as a baby's butt, as they say. Add on a really good hair-cut, and you looked STRAC!
    Total cost was about $4.50 (US). At an exchange rate, when I was there, of 20 pesos to the dollar, it was steep by local standards, but not bad by American standards. Not for what you got.
    Great little cafeteria/snack bar right next door. Served fantastic food. Those Philippino chefs could COOK! I had to do a lot of extra excersizing when I was there. Even the chow halls scattered around the base had some amazingly good food, and plenty of it.
    I got lucky. I met a couple of Air Force girls that lived in a barracks across the parking lot from a chow hall. They let me move in with them. Apparently, all the American men were going out in town (Angeles City), and picking up LBFMs, and the Air Force girls were lonely and frustrated. The liberty bus stopped there too. A great set up! A whole lot better than living in the condemned barracks they put us jarheads into.
    Sorry, I ramble...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0