Flight 19 - See The USA - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Flight 19 - See The USA

Here we are again,

See that little kerosene burner plane that pulled in beside us, and I guess just to show off. but who give a hoot, I know a lot of private pilots would gladly change place with us in order to fly one of these older birds. We were preparing out flight plan and checking the weather, and the weather was border line around KMSP and St. Paul KSTP. The 6 was all juiced up and cargo stored and tie down, and we were ready to go BUT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-3-002.jpg  

But the bloody fog started to settle in at KFAR Fargo, and then the world came that our destination airport was sock in, and so was KMSP! Well it was back to the pilot lounge and more coffee to wait out the weather. Dudley and I figured we wouldn't get out until tomorrow, now off to find an hotel room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-4-002.jpg  

Went out to the flight line to pre-flight the Boxcar and we had a cougar under each wing. Heck, I didn't think I was that young still....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GBZ-2018-feb-6-002.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Howdy again,

I know that I am getting older and having a lot of seniors moments, but I will be darn if I see two cougars setting next to that flying lunch wagon. All I see is one big, big bugger, the lunch wagon plane, and Dudley and my DC-6. Oh well, it was a great flight and it was colder than well digger backside, the OAT gauge showed -20 degrees C! And it didn't get any warmer the whole flight. After we shut down it did show that it warm up a degree or two, big Deal. Shucks, really thought about turning South for warmer country! For some unknown reason, it seem Flight 19 fly into the North country during the winter months, where it is colder than, you what I mean, and in the summer we fly in the deserts and arid country where the bloody Air conditioner can't keep up. Hehe, maybe one of these day we will find out why! Picture, Flight 19 preparing for the flight to KSTP (St. Paul) and then onto KCMX. See you all there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-6-002.jpg  

Hi all

Short winded this time. One picture is of the crews of flight 19 in their planes starting for the Runway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-7-002.jpg  

No pics, but something funny. I've switched back to the Gee Bee. So here we are coming into Oshkosh and I've got Windows Media Player going for some "ambiance". I'm down low getting ready for a flyover of the airfield as I need to see a windsock so I can figure out which runway to use. (The Gee Bee is kind of funny about takeoffs and landings into the wind). All of a sudden, here's Led Zeppelin "No Quarter" playing and it strikes me that considering that here I am trying to land a Gee Bee in Flight Sim, that maybe Windows is trying to tell me something. No Quarter? Challenge accepted.

Typical Gee Bee landing, hot, long and bouncy. But no damage to either pilot or aircraft, so in Gee Bee terms, "greased it".

Howdy,

You know, one of these flight I am going to land before Willy and his GEE BEE just to see some of their crazy landings. Hehe, maybe not, You know I don't make the best landings either, before I blow my mouth off about his landings, maybe just maybe I should practice my landings a heck of a lot more. We were in cheese country so our conversation, between the plane, was all about cheese and what we all liked. I sure hope I don't have many more flights like the this one. What could have went wrong and by golly it did!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-8-004.jpg  

Always go to the light....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GBZ-2018-feb-9-003.jpg  

Hi!

The picture shows flight 19 parked at KFWA airport. Whoa! holy cow, there is sure a lot of beer produced here, if I had time Old Dudley and I would check them out and see if they give out sample if you would take a tour, if they have them. Hehe! Got to remember that it's 8hrs between the bottle and the throttles. Or is it 10hrs. But alas, I really don't think we will have time something about special secret piece of cargo that's needed to head south. Boy, do I love this secret poop. Me think we should change our call signs to 008 and 009, hehe, now that would just make our day. The weather threw almost every thing she had toward us. Heavy cloud cover throw in some rain, snow, and of course lots of wind, but being Flight 19 it didn't bother us at all, if your believe that, I have a big bridge I could sale you at a cheap price. lol, night all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-9-001.jpg  

KFAR - Fort Wayne.

Quite a long hop catching up around 600nm. The Duke just ate up the miles. Weather on route was perfect until KFWA, complete white out broke at 2000ft. RNAV is making me lazy, but it sure makes approaching the field blind easy.

No pics, but we made to Columbus OH last night in some pretty low visibility. I didn't see the airfield until I was about a half mile out and then it was just the "drop on in" lights leading to the runway.

After the flight, I did some test flying on another single engine GA aircraft that I've flown for years and always thought it was pretty hot. Right after flying the Gee Bee, it felt like I was flying Grandma's ol' Buick. Slow and doesn't like to turn. The Gee Bee can be tricky as heck if you're not ready for it's shenanigans and realize that while on the ground during takes offs and landings, you're just along for the ride. But in the air, there's nothing else like it. I see why Delmar loved flying his for so many years.

I've got a new personal ride paint in the works for it. Hot stuff indeed.

Hi Folks,

The picture shows the DC-6 leaving Ft. Knox after a long stand down. The rest of flight left the day before and now they are more than likely in Columbus. Our problem was a young Lieutenant, who more than likely just got of West Point, any way, we were to stand down until the contents of the grate we haul here was accounted for to make sure we didn't take a pcs. or two, if so he wanted the plane searched. After awhile, when the powers to be showed up we would get our clearance and could leave. Now, the poopie hit the fan, Dudley charge after the power to be folks. Hehe, Dudley got them rounded up, but I sure didn't what went on. Those fellows walked away like someone hit them with a baseball bat, and Old Dudley came aboard the plane with the darn nest grin you ever saw. I just kept me big mouth shut. He told me lets get the heck out of Dodge! hehe and we did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-11-001.jpg  

Again, this picture show us trying to get over the here bad weather. We were bounce around all over the bloody place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-11-002.jpg  

KFWA - KFTK - KTZR

Wonderful weather for this flight, had to check Active Sky was loaded! I lost number 2 coming in hot to KTZR, I tried the old 7000 feet a minute decent in reverse.... in the dark. By light of day the damage was evident... now to find a replacement PT6A.

No pics, but we had an interesting flight into Nashville KBNA. I landed a "little" hot by GB standards around 120ish and fortunately, I had a lot of runway to use up. About halfway down it when I was still tail high around 80-90, some Western 727 driver crossed it in front of me and I had to do some rudder and brake work to zip around his nose to keep from hitting him. He did give me the finger as I went by.

Next stop, Atlanta - Peachtree...

Hello,

Wow! What a flight! We had some nasty weather, headwinds that ranged from around 35kts to 42kts. You might know it we had ground fog and we were try to think about landing these birds a Nashville, but out luck showed thru it was clear KBNA Nashville! Ran the DC-6 fairly hard and was afraid that I just might smoked an engine or two. One thing going to need to check them out and fill up the oil tanks. The attached picture was taken right after we completed the loading of what cargo that was assigned to us. and then hehe see the next post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-15-001.jpg  

Like I said we just finished the loading when this happened (picture), and we had the nasty weather the whole flight with the exception of Nashville.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-15-003.jpg  

Welcome to Atlanta! (KDPK)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GBZ-2018-feb-16-004.jpg  

Enjoying this from afar!
    Mike
    -Mike

Hey folks, how are you all doing?

This post is from Thursday nights flight. The Wife and I needed to go to the big City, and just got home. So on with the flight, It was, for a change, a very nice and fun flight. When we, Willy and I fair weather, the wind was doing it thing, we made a fast run for a change. The maintenance head man caught us before take off time, started off in a manner that kind of got under me skin. and informed me not to be a cowboy and fly by the rules, and in a nice way told us that all the 6s engines were low on oil, but, far as we could tell and see all should do their job, but for crying out loud, don't push them to hard, and the first sign of any problems with one feather darn thing soon as possible in order not to create any more damage! I just stood there like a kid who got his hand caught in the cookie jar. But was about to tell him where to go and that Dudley and I have many hours in these bird and the know the correct way to handle most problems. Hehe, Dudley noticed that I was about to cut loose on this guy, so he kick me in the leg, and not to easy either. I guess that's what partners are for. Night all have a good one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-16-002.jpg  

Hey there!

Well, we finally left Peachtree Atlanta (KPDK) and headed to Muscle Shoals, Alabama. I was still pooped off concerning the remarks that knock head at KPDK put forth. These R-2800-16 are great engine and forgiving under certain circumstances, yep, I push them but on this flight they preformed perfect! As usual the weather played a part in this flight again. We climbed to over 10,000 feet in order to get about the heavy cloud formation, here we put up with headwinds and cross winds, now the problem was the weather conditions for landing. As we descended and got under the clouds it was clear as a bell. Even with the fair condition at Muscle Shoals, hehe, I missed lining up on the runway and needed to do a quick turn and still missed. Oh well, we finally make it in and it sure wasn't a pretty landing. OK, we will be leaving Muscle Shoals and head to KGlH Greensville Mississippi. So, see you there.

Sorry no pictures. Hehe forgot to load the camera.

Howdy folks, here I is again.

Hey, for a change we left Muscle Shoals without being bugged by any of the Officials around here, not that we were expecting it so far it feels like we have been in trouble for most of the flights. No wonder that most of the AA freighter pilots called in sick when this one came up for bid. So, two honest pilots who are above reproach (hehe) needed the extra bucks told these real nice guys, (what a joke) that we would be glad to do this here flight. Big Mistake! Some of the pick ups at these airports were so small that we didn't even need to change the MGL and change any of the take off setting. Surprise!!! we landed at Greensville, Mississippi and no problems or any law dogs waiting for us. What a great feeling, me think.
    After unloading and loading we will be heading to KTGC.

Picture, another cargo plane passed us heading south and took this picture of the C-74 a bigun, and usun in the DC-6. Now the question is, how in the heck did they get to picture to us at KTCG!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-21-002.jpg  

Hi all,

Strange as it seen, the last two flight we didn't have any problems with shipping agents, local law, or anything which has been just great. Now, the weather has been a pain in the part you sit on, fog, rain and of course wind. On both flights needed to climb to 10,000 or better at time other wise you could see a darn thing except inside of some nasty clouds. We are at Little Rock and preparing to head to Shreveport hehe and check out some old B-52s or am I dating myself. Oops, almost forgot, we were treated to some home cooked chili with beans, and our host told us if we didn't like it with bean tough luck and you can pick them out yourself. hehe. Picture, preparing to leave kTCG for KLIT. We got out just in time before the fog set in worst than when we took off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-feb-23-002.jpg  

Well, we finished this up with a flight from Shreveport to New Orleans Lakefront airport. I switched to my ol' PV-3 Ventura for the finish, but apparently forgot to load the camera as I know I took some shots enroute.

Now to catch the red eye up to Boulder for some biplane action.

Hey there! By golly, we made it to the Big Easy! Now, more than likely, we are going to get our bottoms froze off, flying in an open cockpit thru some of the nasty weather that occur east of the Rockies into the heart land of the USA. Well, sure looks like we need to buy some heavy foul weather clothing, hehe, when dress up in this gear I am going to look like the Pillsbury dough boy. So, you all keep tune to the adventure of the Cannibal Queen starting sometime this week.

Members who have read this thread: 0