tips
Contribute Now
Goal amount for this year: 10000 USD, Received: 5,270.00 USD (53%)
Welcome Back, Unregistered     Today's Date:       Current Time: 

Please Support the SOH "2020 Charter Membership Drive"

Accepted Payment Types

Thread: tips

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Interesting, Henry - but it emphasises the ever-increasing divide between professionals and amateur snappers like me.

This is particularly the case with photo-editing software - if I start shooting RAW, as this lady suggested, on my Olympus, I can no longer use my old copy of Photoshop - Adobe closed that avenue pretty smartly.

I have never been comfortable with phone photography (still can't do it as well as a 12-year old), but when on holiday nowadays, I feel like I'm the only guy in town with a 'proper' camera ! People shake their heads sadly at this poor old dinosaur with a chunk of equipment hung around his neck - makes me wonder where we are going with photography.

"Why do you need such a big camera and lens? My phone can take photos too!"

"See that bird flying over there?"

Point and click.

"Here's a nice photo of that bird in flight. Good luck trying that with your phone."

"....."
    Intel i7-7770K Kaby Lake @4.2Ghz, Cooler Master 212 Evo, 16 Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM, Asus ROG Strix Z270H motherboard, Asus RTX 2070 Turbo 8Gb, Cooler Master 700 Watt PSU, Windows 10 64-bit.

ACDSee Ultimate handles RAW files without breaking a sweat while the software that came with my (elderly) Pentax K5 does almost anything I throw at it.
    My only irritation with RAW images is size, but that's my own boneheaded fault for shooting at maximum resolution!

Q:"Why do you need such a big camera and lens? My phone can take photos too!"
    "See that bird flying over there?"
    Point and click.
    "Here's a nice photo of that bird in flight. Good luck trying that with your phone.":Q

I never seem to have that problem Ferry, must be my usual 'Military Style' bush walking gear!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Members who have read this thread: 0