Virtavia C-17

Thread: Virtavia C-17

Virtavia C-17

One additional topic, I truly loved the C-17 in my FSX years of flying. I see it is P3D compatible, but it does not say which version. I installed my copy into the aircraft directory and it shows up in my menu selection, but it's missing some files in the preview menu, like block of exterior skin.

Anyone know if there's an issue using this great bird in P3D?

Thanks again.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

I believe it has something to do with the protected files. At one time, there was a Flight1 Wrapper that installed the files; those files needed verification of a license when selecting the aircraft. There was an update (available directly from Virtavia Support) that used a normal installer.

Though some of the exterior of the aircraft were invisible in the preview, after loading the aircraft in the sim, everything appeared normal. I recommend selecting the aircraft and hit OK to see if your exterior is visible. If it isn't, I would try a reinstall.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by nunweilr View Post
    I believe it has something to do with the protected files. At one time, there was a Flight1 Wrapper that installed the files; those files needed verification of a license when selecting the aircraft. There was an update (available directly from Virtavia Support) that used a normal installer.

Though some of the exterior of the aircraft were invisible in the preview, after loading the aircraft in the sim, everything appeared normal. I recommend selecting the aircraft and hit OK to see if your exterior is visible. If it isn't, I would try a reinstall.

Ray
    Thanks Ray. I will indeed give that a try. I started too the other night, but got frustrated with my Orbx scenery looking sorta funky, fearing I corrupted my scenery install. Once I get some time this weekend, I will post a follow up.

Matt

I recieved a friendly email by Virtavia some weeks ago where they wrote my that new P3Dv4 Versions of the C-17 and B-29 are available.
    I sent them my proof of purchase and they sent me the new files.

Cheers,

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by worknow View Post
    I recieved a friendly email by Virtavia some weeks ago where they wrote my that new P3Dv4 Versions of the C-17 and B-29 are available.
    I sent them my proof of purchase and they sent me the new files.

Cheers,

Marc
    Marc, great news! Did you buy direct from Virtavia? I think I bought mine through FSS or similar webstore. Have you run this yet in P3Dv4? If so, what sort of graphic anomalies, if any? Love this model....definitely want to do some long distance hauls.

Matt

I have it installed in both v3 & v4 with no problems

Our support squadron VR-55 uses it ( yes i know the Navy doesn't use C-17, but hey... we can do whatever we want..
    Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I have it installed in both v3 & v4 with no problems

Our support squadron VR-55 uses it ( yes i know the Navy doesn't use C-17, but hey... we can do whatever we want..
    Nice paint! Did you also have the strange preview shots in your P3D menu? I am getting my SSD tomorrow and will do a clean install of P3D on the SSD, so not able to really see much of anything now, that will not change with the new install.

Also, the beauty of virtual flying is to fly as one pleases, without FAA or a board of inquiry reviewing your actions or being a virtual Navy unit flying aircraft that meet your virtual missions..enjoy my friend.

Matt

She does indeed work without so much as a modification. Just change the install to your P3D>simobjects>airplanes folder, and voila!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    She does indeed work without so much as a modification. Just change the install to your P3D>simobjects>airplanes folder, and voila!
    I guess I spoke too soon. It seems that every time I select this beauty, P3D fails to load properly and crashes.

Anyone else have initial difficulties getting it operational?

Matt

I have actually installed the FSX version of the C-17 into my P3D V4.1 external folder and have had no trouble using it. Sorry I could not be much help.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I have actually installed the FSX version of the C-17 into my P3D V4.1 external folder and have had no trouble using it. Sorry I could not be much help.
    Using the Add on folder in documents, not the simobjects in the game directory?

Matt

Interesting, it just does not seem to like KTCM. Flew her out of Edwards without issues....maybe traffic level set too high. Will dig more into it.

Matt

I use the migration tool when installing any aircraft that’s FSX native into Either P3D platform(v3 or v4) it works with no issues. And if your having crash issues at KTCM, then it sounds like it doesn’t like that scenery. I assume that is an add on scenery?
    Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

Using the Add on folder in documents, not the simobjects in the game directory?
    Actually no, in FSX you had a cfg file that allowed you to define extra SimObjects folders and scenery folders, in P3D they have additional cfg files that also allow you to define extra effects, gauges, sounds, fonts, etc so using that I have external folders defined for payware, freeware and testing aircraft that have the full structure of an effects, gauges, SimObjects and Sound folders. Most aircraft work fine this way, there are a few (MilViz example) that don't work well unless actually installed into the program folder, and when that happens its easy enough to delete from the external folder and re-install normally.

I find doing it this way is very useful, especially for testing new aircraft as since they are in there own folder structure its super easy to just delete all the files in it and there is nothing left polluting the other folders.

I have been meaning to write up a how to and post it here, maybe I will finally do so this weekend.
    Joe Cusick

@Stinger,

Sort of an add on, it's Orbx's PNW add on. Everything else works, but the C-17. C-17 works at Edwards. Tomorrow I will try a flight out of Whidbey Island, also part of the PNW package, to see if it loads or not.

@Blanston,

Did I screw up by not installing all the add on aircraft to the add on folder? Much of the converted v4 files just installed into the simobjects folder.

Matt

@Stinger,

Sort of an add on, it's Orbx's PNW add on. Everything else works, but the C-17. C-17 works at Edwards. Tomorrow I will try a flight out of Whidbey Island, also part of the PNW package, to see if it loads or not.

@Blanston,

Did I screw up by not installing all the add on aircraft to the add on folder? Much of the converted v4 files just installed into the simobjects folder.
    its personal preference to use a external addons folders, there is no requirement to use that method, install it as you feel comfortable with, if you have P3d on another drive other than C its more of a disadvantage unless you set one on on that same drive, (to me defeats the exercise)

Thanks for the replies all. She indeed runs great, except for KTCM (or Washington fields I have tried so far) using Orbx PNW, MyTraffic Pro 6.0a and REX enhanced clouds. Every time I try to load off the runway, @ KTCM (or other WA fields), it loads to 90% and then CTD, every time. I can launch her out of any other airfield outside of Washington. Whats also strange is I can launch other planes from KTCM, without issue. Plus, I cannot see any light on her, sans the landing lights, which seem to be pointed into the fuselage.

I was going to post a separate thread regarding this, but my CTD seems to be tied to the C-17 using a handful of WA airfields and not loading past 90%, which begins the traffic updates.

Anyone have any suggestions regarding similar issues? I initially thought it might be Orbx, but other aircraft at other fields work. I then suspected MyTraffic being the culprit, but their AI traffic works beautifully at all the airports so far, when it loads properly. The last culprit that comes to mind is my Virtavia C-17, but she works great from other fields and has indeed worked in KTCM.

Matt

@Stinger,

@Blanston,

Its very much a personal preference. I have P3D and the scenery files on C which is a fast M2 SSD, but I don't want the many aircraft I have collected filling up that drive, plus I like having my add on files outside the P3D folder so that when a new version comes out its easy to clean out the old folder and reinstall. I keep my scenery in the main folder because I want it to load fast (from the SSD) but its not as critical for the aircraft.
    Joe Cusick

Update: I got greedy...

Having custom ordered a beast of a desktop, including dual 1080 GTXs in SLI, I assumed I could max out all traffic, land, sea and air. Apparently, it was the maxed out sliders that kept forcing a crash to desktop as it hit 90% and I am flying in the greater SEA-TAC area. So, i scaled it to 80% and works like a charm.

I have to say, with Orbx, updated mesh, GSX and MyTraffic 6.0a, what a rather nice scene to fly out of and over each time as the default.

Thank you for all the great suggestions and apologies for my noob greediness on graphic eye candy. Now, just awaiting my Occulus Rift......

Matt

So, it does indeed work beautifully, except I have no lights working on the aircraft. Is this anyone else's experience?

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0