"Golden Age" Of Flight Simuation

View Poll Results: Which era do you believe was the "Golden Age" of Flight Sim?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flight Sim 1-4

0 0%
  • Flight Sim 5-5.1

0 0%
  • Flight Sim 95/Flight Sim 98/Flight Sim 2000

4 6.25%
  • Flight Sim 2002

2 3.13%
  • Flight Sim 2004

33 51.56%
  • Flight Sim X/Accelerate

14 21.88%
  • Microsoft Flight

0 0%
  • Prepare3D

4 6.25%
  • Golden Wings 3/FS2004

6 9.38%
  • Other

1 1.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Golden Age" Of Flight Simuation

Question "Golden Age" Of Flight Simuation

Just wondering what folks think is/was the Golden Age?

For me it would be 1903 to 1914 but I guess many would say 1918 to 1939?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

How about 1903 to 1939 ?
    LOL
    Sue

I voted for FS2004 but for me it was really the late CFS2 era moving into early FS2004.

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    I voted for FS2004 but for me it was really the late CFS2 era moving into early FS2004.
    Yes, that was a "vibrant" era....
    I ***think*** numbers/quantity wise, CFS2/FS2002 had the most......but I'm probably off somewhere with this guess....

I voted FS2004. I had a lot of the earlier sims, but never got "hooked" on any of them until FS2004. Had a lot of fun with that sim, mostly right here on this site and the multiplayer forums. FSX is prettier, but it seems like flight simming got way too "serious" when FSX came out, lol.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

CFS2 and FS2002 were game changers for developers. These forced Microsoft to deliver a decent SDK, and started the large increase in flight sim interest. FS2002, I redesigned my neighborhood and it looked recognizable from the air. I true WOW moment.

Golden Moment

I spent a LOT of hours in FS98 (Win 3.1, Celeron). Never got used to model textures, square clouds, or purple sky. But when FS2002 came THAT was my 'AHA!' moment. I (like others) got FS2004 (and moved up to Win XP and Pentium). Then I got FSX. Then FSX Acceleration (Win 7 Pro 64 bit and i7 3.5 Ghz). But FS2002 stands out as THE 'Golden' moment, or era (start of). Yea, FSX got too serious. That is why I still have, and use, FS2004.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    Yea, FSX got too serious. That is why I still have, and use, FS2004.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    You might be on to something here looking at the current poll results...
    In our quest for realism, did "we" go overboard and thus created a hyper realistic product that however lacked the warmth, friendliness, and simplicity?

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    In our quest for realism, did "we" go overboard and thus created a hyper realistic product that however lacked the warmth, friendliness, and simplicity?
    I think it has both. It is called flight simulator and I do enjoy proper manual starts and addons where nothing is done for you. (A2A, SSW or Milviz stuff.) I do at times, however, like to just hop in something and hit ctrl-E and go! (Aerosoft's Mitchell Wing at EAA's ultralight strip in the evening is relaxing.) I have quite a few addons both freeware and payware (I will never add THAT purchase total up again!) and FSX has pretty much everything from one end of the spectrum to the other in terms of both planes and realism. I wouldn't say FSX itself got serious, but there are some very serious addons for it!

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    (I will never add THAT purchase total up again!)
    I should send you my FS bill over all the versions!

Yes, and also, absolutely.
    Hi

Icon2

Some interesting responses thus far - I definitely thought there would have been for Prepare3D...

Some interesting responses thus far - I definitely thought there would have been for Prepare3D...
    It might be the wording "Golden Age" that implies some past era. Personally, I do think we are currently living in the best time for the hobby but not sure I would call it a "Golden Age".

46 responses out of 514 views (ATM). Even most municipal elections get better participation . I suppose polls could be a nefarious surveillance technique, though... .

I expect there are also a lot of people who have only used one version (perhaps two) and don't feel able to compare. Equally there are some who think the Golden Age has not yet arrived - personally I'm waiting for the 128-bit version with .5mm terrain resolution and 8192x textures, running on the mini-CRAY smartphone with VR-ready contact lenses

Looking at the descriptions of "The Golden Age" of other realms, there seems to be a consensus that the marker is: the best technology for its time, coupled with a sense of romance and adventure, mellowed by a degree of 'innocence and simplicity' that captured the imagination.

I chose FS9/2004.The earlier versions were primitive and 'quaint' but unrealistic. Visually the CFS versions were a step up but lived in a limited world with emphasis on the combat style. With FS9 we finally saw realistic scenery, reasonably accurate flight models and for $50, a few bits of hardware and an internet connection we had the ability to experience the history of aviation in pretty good detail. We started to see higher-realism as payware developed (scenery as well as aircraft) but still had a huge catalogue of aircraft and add-ons available for free and had a reliable 'shared experience of online flying.

Since then we've added even more detail and realism but at the cost of bigger budgets, a much steeper learning curve and greater demands on the old brain to ingest all the complexities. Along with those we have seen a fracturing of the community into many special interests and that lost camaraderie has 'dulled the shine' for many.

On the other hand, having the ability to sit home (or by pool-side in a tropical resort) and enjoy the miracle of flight at any level is pretty Golden.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Voted FS2004

I started in CFS2. It was extremely popular and a blast in multiplayer. Microsoft could have done so much to build and expand on it but sadly they didn't and it died. CFS3 never appealed to me after that and although I bought FS2002, I never installed it. Then FS9 came along and hooked me. I was very late getting to FSX and although it is good - it lacks the nuance of FS9. I miss things like BFU over at Avsim, Heather Sherman and her gorgeous repaints, a really cool Turbo Otter, Samdim's awesome TU-114 (I know, I still fly it in FSX, but VC is not good) , lots of little sceneries like Hank's Place, Antelope Trail Ranch etc. Some things made the leap - but alot didn't. Don't get me wrong - we've got some cool stuff with FSX and P3D now, but things get more complicated, and with the struggle to keep up, there is a yearning for the good ole days and a much simpler time. I think big developers have killed alot of creativity.

A bit of an aside. I've been a comic book collector most of life, and although they have established time periods for the Golden, Silver, Bronze age of comics, I've heard it expressed that the "golden" age is the age at which one is introduced to the hobby. It is new, there is a past to discover, and a future that is being built. It is generally the one all others are compared to as a starting benchmark.

For me in flight sims, it would be FS2004. It was my introduction to the Microsoft flight sim world and there was so much to learn, so many new things being turned out by talented and resourceful developers, and the wonderment of the sim itself.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    I fully agree. But before CFS2 I was really addicted to European Air War. The first simulator (was it actually a simulator?) which you could keep modding and was really a great thing to fly.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    I fully agree. But before CFS2 I was really addicted to European Air War. The first simulator (was it actually a simulator?) which you could keep modding and was really a great thing to fly.

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub!!!!
    Man.....Like you, I was TOTALLY addicted to "European Air War"....Lots of fond memories playing that game online....

Icon2

Oh and BTW....My vote was for "Golden Wings 3/FS2004"...

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    46 responses out of 514 views (ATM).
    To be fair that figure is not reliable, I have visited 2 or 3 times to see how the polling went.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Interesting results folks - thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post

+1

I never found another combat simulator with the same degree of immersion.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    The "Golden Age" started with the CFS series along with the IL-2 series. IL-2 '46 is being rediscovered by all work being done to it now. BAT is one of the newest additions to IL-2 '46 and is huge at over 70 gigs but worth it. The new IL-2 series , i hear are good too. Must say the best years where the 90's to early 2000's as combat flight sims go. Don't know much about regular/civilian flight sims.While the pickings are slim these days there are some really good ones out there still. Regards,Scott

I missed the poll, but my experience is of two golden ages. CFS 1 and FS2004. Of the CFS series, CFS 1 had the best multiplayer and SOH got it's start as Combat Flight Center in support of CFS multiplayer and add ons. When CFS 1 died down, I didn't fly multiplayer again until after FS2004 came out.

I'm flying FSX SE mostly these days, but it seems like every other day or so, I start thinking, I ought to just go back to FS9 and it's simplicity. But darn the eye candy is addicting.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members who have read this thread: 0