Boeing B-50 V1 Released
Page 1 of 10 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing B-50 V1 Released

Boeing B-50 V1 Released

Hi all, the dirty deed is done. The B-50 Superfortress has been added to the Warbird's Library, check the New entries. (May still need to be cleared by admin.)

The link I was given was thius http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=1&id=23179

File size is 148 MB.

Note, a basic paintkit has already been included in folder EXTRAS.

Any comments and suggestions most welcome.

Now for a word from Beta tester Marc:

Greetings to all simcaptains!

This is just to let you know that we are well aware that we still have a long way to go. What started for me with a few hints and suggestions turned into a time-consuming adventure and IŽd never complain about that - in fact I remember a few events when I answered something on a turnaround between two flights in real life.

Every available video on YouTube about the B-50 and B-29 was analyzed, books ordered and read, hundreds of web pages checked for information. If youŽre planning to do a long-range flight, IŽd encourage you to check the internet for yourself and listen to all the stories around it. I got the impression that there are more different load outs of this aircraft than planes build.

Some record-breaking planes, such as Lucky Lady II, which is included in the upload, were pure flying fuel tanks, others were stripped of their weapons or used as tankers to provide fuel for the next raid. Check Anaconda Catalogue and Best and less Catalogue. Even the POH leaves a lot of space for interpretation! It was a war machine and during wartime, limits are sometimes ... well, flexible.

Why am I writing this? There will be complaints about the fuel capacity, the load out, fuel consumption, performance and probably 100 other things and I tell you right now: YOU ARE RIGHT! A lot of sources have variation in those numbers and in case of this version, the team chose an average fuel load and an average performance that will be become more accurate as soon as the project develops further in time.

A plane that dropped bombs on a special flight had probably much more ammo than the one that monitored weather in the Caribbean and so on. If you read about an attack with a maximum bomb load of 20,000 pounds, they probably did not travel with full tanks or flew at 40,000ft - at least not right from the beginning of the trip. And no, Lucky Lady II didnŽt carry bombs or .50 cal ammo on her trip around the globe! Maybe someday we will have a dedicated A-version, a D-version, a tanker, a spy plane, a wx-observer... we'll see ... hopefully by then we will have a real VC to go with it, too ;-). In the meantime, I do hope you can enjoy the plane as it is right now.

Cheers, Marc

'Team 50' - models, textures and Monitor gauge by Manfred Jahn, sound set by Ted Wolfgang, research, testing and tweaking by Marc Roth. Flight dynamics based on the 'generic' C-97 design originally created by Wayne Tudor (RIP).

very nice, thanks, guys!

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

OMG...This is WONDERFUL! Flies like a dream, and really gives that B-50 "heavy iron" feeling.

...I was looking forward to this, and I am STILL astonished at how neat this baby is.

Love it, Manfred & Team!

Kent

Thank you very much Team 50 for this early Christmas gift. The B-50 family has long been a favourite of mine and now I can fly it to my hearts content.

A real beauty, for sure...thanks!

A great big "thank you" to all those concerned - an epic aeroplane for sure! Will have to put down the SOH A-26 for a while just to take a look around (sorry Jens-Ole!!)

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Thank you very much

Dirk

Its' YUGE! Great work. Absolutely brilliant.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Just beautifull!!! Thanks, thanks a lot...

One note: engines 2 and 3 not working with my Thrustmaster T.16000M, meaning whatever the power input engine rpm remains the same. This does not happen if I use mouse input.

Once more, thanks for sharing your work

Edit: using P3D v4

Fantastic! Only just seen this so off to download
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Just finished the first hop Wurtsmith AFB to WPAFB. Handles like I imagined it would - like a big, heavy Cadillac. Just as good or even better than your Connies I have in the hangars. An excellent job.

There are no doubt texture artists at work on the paint kits as I write this. Looking forward to at least the KB-50 variant, and an air sampler or some other more arcane version if you are up to it, Manfred.

Many, many thanks for this airplane!

Downloaded and gave it a test flight, looks and flies great! I do have a couple questions about the fuel tanks. I noticed that the fuel is configured for the B-50A, do you have any notes on how to convert it to be a B-50D capacity?

Also you commented that lucky lady II had bomb bay fuel tanks, do you know how big they were?

The only real issue I found were the two 2D panels for the monitor and GPS which look really small on my hi-res screen that runs 3840x2160 resolution. But was able to fix it by removing the pixel_size property and replacing it with

window_size=0.48, 0.139 // for the monitor and
    window_size= 0.238, 0.350 // for the GPS

Based on my math this should keep it the same size for anyone who has a standard 1920x1080 monitor.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Just made this merge. Will write up the how-to in a few minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B29_in_B50.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	55936

Wonderful timing, Frank...I was about ready to do the same-- I'll wait for your instructions...

Kent

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Da bomb!

OK, this should do it.

Code:
    Merging Virtavia's B-29 Interior into Manfred Jahn's B-50
    ---------------------------------------------------------

1) Copy the "Virtavia_B-29_interior.MDL" file from "\Virtavia B-29 Superfortress\model.B-29A_late" folder to the "\Boeing_B-50\model.B50" folder

2) Edit the "Model.cfg" file in the the "\Boeing_B-50\model.B50" folder to read:

[models]
    normal=B50_01
    //interior=B50_interior
    interior=Virtavia_B-29_interior

3) Make a copy of the "\Virtavia B-29 Superfortress\panel" folder and name/rename the copy it to "panel.B29" 
    Copy the new folder to the "\Boeing_B-50" folder. (Don't forget where it came from -- don't pass it along)

4) Make a copy of the "\Virtavia B-29 Superfortress\texture.shared" folder and name/rename the copy it to "texture.virtavia" 
    (I put the name Virtavia in there in case someone forgets where it came from and accidently passes it around).

Copy the new folder to the "\Boeing_B-50" folder.

5) Edit the "texture.cfg" file in the "\Boeing_B-50\texture.46010" folder to read:

[fltsim]
    fallback.1=..\texture
    fallback.2=..\texture.Virtavia
    fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

6) Copy the new "texture.cfg" file to all numbered exterior texture folders that will use the B-29 cockpit.  DO NOT copy it to the "texture" folder.

7) Edit the "panel=" line of each [fltsim.xx] section of the Boeing_B-50 "aircraft.cfg" file to read "panel=B29".

8) Copy the [CameraDefinition.xx] sections from the Virtavia B-29 "aircraft.cfg" file to the Boeing_B-50 "aircraft.cfg" file replacing the one section that is there.  

9) Edit the [Views] section of the Boeing_B-50 "aircraft.cfg" file to read: 
    (this works for me and my monitor so some tweaking might be required)

[Views] 
    //eyepoint=28.9, -1.75, 2.08  
    eyepoint= 27.65, -2.04,  2.40
    I think that's all I did. If I forgot to record a step just ask here and I'll amend these instructions.

Thanks for that Frank...takes the pain out of the swap.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    OMG...This is WONDERFUL! Flies like a dream, and really gives that B-50 "heavy iron" feeling.

...I was looking forward to this, and I am STILL astonished at how neat this baby is.

Love it, Manfred & Team!

Kent
    I totally agree with Kent! GREAT JOB!! The only (very minor) thing I changed was to speed up the bomb bay doors. Took it from 0.1 to 1.0. The pneumatic doors were extremely fast acting (gubment specifying that they open in under three seconds IIRC.) Now they appear to open like FIFI's or Doc's. First flight, 10% fuel, no load, three crew members and 3/4 flaps got it off the ground around 75-80 knots! Got it in on 09 at KOSH very nicely.

What a magnificent piece of work - thank you Manfred for this fantastic gift!

John, what are you using for clouds and weather generation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    What a magnificent piece of work - thank you Manfred for this fantastic gift!

Just the old REX Essential Plus addon for sky and cloud textures (Cumulus Set 1), and the weather formation I just handle myself - just a couple different cloud layers with different thicknesses and different coverage percentages. Of course the goal is to always try and create a John Dibbs sort of sky for the background.

Marc Roth, I love the way the aircraft feels/flies - it handles very realistically. The Ted Wolfgang soundset is of course fantastic as well - I love the sound at takeoff when advancing the throttles all the way up to takeoff power.

Members who have read this thread: 2