Boeing B-50 V1 Released - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Boeing B-50 V1 Released

The smoke gauge I developed for the C-97 is installed in the B-50, just not implemented in the panel.cfg.
    Made a few changes for the B-50. The reason the smoke is not lined up with the stacks is the C-97 exhaust stacks are on the opposite sides of the cowl.
    Smoke.x numbers are for the C-97.

Maybe not to clear in the video, but in sim looks good.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Is this something that could be put on the Flight Replicas DC-4 C-54

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I never saw the engine smoke effects. Not on take off or cruise. I'm using P3D V3.4 I did see the above entries in the aircraft.cfg file.
    Hi @greyeagle,

I'm just playing with things to see what these mods can do, for my personal use.

Included were things like :
    a) added the 'Beech 18' gauge for smoke effect (available here : https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...o-smoke-gauge/ )
    b) changed the 'b50_Smoke-crz ' effect to 'fx_smoke_f6 (available here : https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...-smoke-effect/ ) This smoke effect is more pronounced, BTW.
    c) added another light to VC in [LIGHTS] section : light.11=4, 29.8, 0.0, 1.5, fx_vclight - of not much help as it still seems a bit dark in the VC
    d) added the 'GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds' (can use bananabob's) into main 'texture' folder - still experimenting here, with the reflectivity.

The 'Beech 18' gauge is by Richard Wisman, (thank-you, Gordon for the link), and will make a little smoke effect come out of the engines . The auto smoke is generated by an xml gauge and will switch the smoke on above a throttle level off approximately 60 percent. At cruise speeds, usually see no smoke.

WRT the aluminum skin appearance, there are infinite possibilities and everyone's taste is different. I think Rick has the midas touch in this department.
    I prefer the clean, highly reflective, polished airshow look as shown below with my before and afters of the P-51.

In the end, it's ultimately up to personal taste or interpretation. I just prefer these classic birds with some smoke and shine on the side, lol !
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanx View Post
    Here you go!
    [smokesystem]
    smoke.1 = 03.0, -33.50, -1.70, b50_Smoke-x
    smoke.2 = 04.5, -16.50, -2.85, b50_Smoke-x
    smoke.3 = 04.5, 11.80, -2.75, b50_Smoke-x
    smoke.4 = 03.0, 28.80, -1.60, b50_Smoke-x
    smoke.5 = 03.0, -33.50, -1.70, b50_Smoke-crz
    smoke.6 = 04.5, -16.50, -2.85, b50_Smoke-crz
    smoke.7 = 04.5, 11.80, -2.75, b50_Smoke-crz
    smoke.8 = 03.0, 28.80, -1.60, b50_Smoke-crz

Delete old smoke txt and copy and paste this.
    Thank-you, @mcanx. I will give these a try.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

No Smoke

In P3D V3.4 I don't see any smoke and yes all the effects files were put in the effect folder. I do have a startup smoke effect and that's about it.
    In this snapshot, the plane is in a climb at max throttle. b50_Smoke-crz.fx and b50_Smoke-x.fx are in the effects folder.

The "I" key is what you seek my friend. Keep hitting it until you see the smoke. It's not all that heavy, which is as it should be, but it's there. Also, Aaron Swindle of Skysong Soundworks has released a new Boeing B-50 soundset for those who might like to kick up the sound of those big brawny radials a notch or two. Available now @ Flightsim.com
    My 100th post so here's to all...

Cheers

The OMS
    Last edited by oldmsgt; December 1st, 2017 at 19:09.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmsgt View Post
    The "I" key is what you seek my friend. Keeping hitting it until you see the smoke. It's not all that heavy, as it should be, but it's there. Also, Aaron Swindle of Skysong Soundworks has released a new Boeing B-50 soundset for those who might like to kick up the sound of those big brawny radials a notch or two. Available now @ Flightsim.com
    My 100th post so here's to all...

Cheers

The OMS
    Thanks, that worked. Is it supposed to stop when you let go of the "I" key. It only stays on when I press the "I" key and stops when I let go.

EDIT: never mind, I see it toggles on/off and I managed to toggle it on till I hit the I key to turn it off. Couldn't tell if the smoke was on due to the sky conditions. clouds etc.

Thanks, that worked. Is it supposed to stop when you let go of the "I" key. It only stays on when I press the "I" key and stops when I let go.

EDIT: never mind, I see it toggles on/off and I managed to toggle it on till I hit the I key to turn it off. Couldn't tell if the smoke was on due to the sky conditions. clouds etc.
    Hi @greyeagle,

In my post #128 above, if u install the 'beech gauge' then smoke is automatic once throttle > 60%, and smoke stops when throttle < 60% of full power - so see the smoke on takeoff, climb, then (usually) off at cruise speeds.
    Also, the smoke effect I referred to is a bit more pronounced, so u can try swapping it out if u prefer.
    Cheers, MZee ...

The missing ground textures with B-50 model are back .

Hi Manfred,

Same issue I am having with the C-97, I am now getting with the B-50.

I am running FSX with SP 1 and 2. My scenery is all Orbx. Usually all is well until about 5 -10 min. into a flight, then I see in the distance as the ground textures are 'coming into view', most form OK, but some, like certain trees along a roadway don't show up as aircraft approaches, rather they are replaced with what look like black stars - missing textures ? When I switch aircraft to something else, and fly the same route, there is no problem and all textures load OK.

For example, leaving Orbx KPSP at around 1300h, and flying toward KBNG airport. As airport gets closer into view here's what starts to happen :

Switch aircraft (eg. RealAir Duke) and all is back to normal :

Cheers, MZee ...

In P3D V3.4 I don't see any smoke and yes all the effects files were put in the effect folder. I do have a startup smoke effect and that's about it.
    In this snapshot, the plane is in a climb at max throttle. b50_Smoke-crz.fx and b50_Smoke-x.fx are in the effects folder.
    Try this, smoke gauge already installed in the b50 folder... two stage smoke effects.

Correct alignment of smoke included...

UPDATE: All-in-one update!

Last edited by TuFun; December 1st, 2017 at 20:49.

Here a short video of the two stage smoke effects and thanks mcanx for the numbers... saved me some time.

Missing Texture Issue

Mzee/Warhorse,

Thanks for the screenshots. Yes those star-like shapes are trees which are missing their textures. Once this happens the effect can easily spread to other objects, including the plane itself, and show severe display issues such as missing and displaced parts, black windows etc (this has been reported by Warhorse).

Interesting to see that those alley trees do not show up at all in the Duke shot...?

What makes it very difficult to trace is that it doesn't come up on all setups and on some only occasionally.

If the prime suspect is the B-50 you could try Dawson's event logger gauge (I'll PM it to you). This enables you to save a log of events up to the point when the issue starts showing up.

It could be a memory issue, but MZee's frame rate of 30 doesn't really support that. As a matter of fact I now recall that on one occasion tester Marc reported a similar issue, but it went away after he removed the "default shaders".

If you google "FSX missing textures parts shaders" you will find quite a few reports of exactly the same thing, and some apparently successful cures. But I leave that to you to pursue.

I do hope we can do something about it!!
    Last edited by mjahn; December 2nd, 2017 at 07:24.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Here a short video of the two stage smoke effects and thanks mcanx for the numbers... saved me some time.

About what speed are you at when the smoke stops? I've tried to recreate what you did in P3D V3.4 and I do see some decrease in smoke but not to where there is none, unless I toggle the I key.
    I assume you have to toggle the "I" key to get the smoke effects to start then, raise/lower the RPM's and observe the increase/decrease of smoke, but at the near stall speed, I can still see the smoke
    (not as much as full throttle) when I lower the throttle to around ~155 knots. If I go slower, there is a little smoke emanating from the exhaust pipes. Is that the desired results? Looking at your vid
    and at slow airspeed - looks like your smoke effect stops.

Thanks

About what speed are you at when the smoke stops? I've tried to recreate what you did in P3D V3.4 and I do see some decrease in smoke but not to where there is none, unless I toggle the I key.
    I assume you have to toggle the "I" key to get the smoke effects to start then, raise/lower the RPM's and observe the increase/decrease of smoke, but at the near stall speed, I can still see the smoke
    (not as much as full throttle) when I lower the throttle to around ~155 knots. If I go slower, there is a little smoke emanating from the exhaust pipes. Is that the desired results? Looking at your vid
    and at slow airspeed - looks like your smoke effect stops.
    Any time you are below 30" there should be no smoke. The smoke gauge is set up for (MANIFOLD PRESSURE,inhg). Darker smoke kicks in above 56+"

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Hi Manfred,

Same issue I am having with the C-97, I am now getting with the B-50.

I am running FSX with SP 1 and 2. My scenery is all Orbx. Usually all is well until about 5 -10 min. into a flight, then I see in the distance as the ground textures are 'coming into view', most form OK, but some, like certain trees along a roadway don't show up as aircraft approaches, rather they are replaced with what look like black stars - missing textures ? When I switch aircraft to something else, and fly the same route, there is no problem and all textures load OK.

For example, leaving Orbx KPSP at around 1300h, and flying toward KBNG airport. As airport gets closer into view here's what starts to happen :

Switch aircraft (eg. RealAir Duke) and all is back to normal :

Hi MZee. These actually look like missing street light textures given their position along the road (check this view at night to see what shows) . If you have Orbx installed, perhaps you should check their lighting installation. They do provide a configuration utility - it may be an idea to try playing with this (or reinstalling them). Just an idea, although this doesn't explain why they don't appear when using a different aircraft. ?!

A.

Manfred and I have been exchanging e-mails and files the last few days to try and identify what is causing the scenery corruption.

My experiences are more severe than shown in the latest screenshots and affect the VC as well with either the stock install or the Virtavia VC merge. This occurs from within my Orbx PNW scenery or at other airports outside that region.

I've narrowed down the cause to the sim_B50.xml file being loaded. When I exclude this file from the panel.cfg, all is well except that there is no monitor panel nor animations. The other observation is that I can sometimes clear the problem by changing the weather from my default "Fair Weather" to clear.

I've examined the xml file but can find nothing unusual, so the testing continues. The B-50 still looks, sounds and flies great - it's just that I don't have the usual whistles and bells that Manfred and team put into their work.

And thanks again to Manfred for looking into this.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark62 View Post
    Hi MZee. These actually look like missing street light textures given their position along the road (check this view at night to see what shows) . If you have Orbx installed, perhaps you should check their lighting installation. They do provide a configuration utility - it may be an idea to try playing with this (or reinstalling them). Just an idea, although this doesn't explain why they don't appear when using a different aircraft. ?!

A.
    I don't think street lights would be that close together. Their positioning, to me, suggests some missing autogen textures. . .as these are more likely to to be trees if you look at how the trees along the road in the foreground are placed. JMO of course.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Just curious, is this package compatible to run on 32-bit systems?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I'm probably being stuipid here but where is the carb deicer switch?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Looks like they're shooting flak at you. What did you do to tick them off?

LouP

Did you find the new sound file for this plane over at Flightsim, it's quite good?

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Any time you are below 30" there should be no smoke. The smoke gauge is set up for (MANIFOLD PRESSURE,inhg). Darker smoke kicks in above 56+"
    I do see some smoke below 30" - at least on my rig.
    Maybe I put some of the files in the wrong places.
    Would you please tell me were it all goes. I know about the effects- where those go, the aircraft.cfg is a replacement and the panel is a replacement.
    Now if I have the B29 panel merge does that make any difference where some of the files go?
    Thanks.

I do see some smoke below 30" - at least on my rig.
    Maybe I put some of the files in the wrong places.
    Would you please tell me were it all goes. I know about the effects- where those go, the aircraft.cfg is a replacement and the panel is a replacement.
    Now if I have the B29 panel merge does that make any difference where some of the files go?
    Thanks.
    Don't have the B-29 vc to test, so it could be an issue. The aircraft.cfg is the same except for the [smoke] update and adding the gauge line in the panel.cfg. Nothing out of the ordinary. Works fine with the default vc. May want to check with others who mod the vc and see if the smoke effects works.

More Testing Done re Missing Textures ....

Hi Guys,

So based on the info here in this thread and also what I gathered from a few hours over in the Orbx forums, I have narrowed things down a bit.

1) In both forums, these black 'stars' point most definitely to missing textures for the Orbx streetlights.
    Even in daytime there are no 'trees' where these 'stars' show up, but most likely are where the Orbx 'lites' are located, which shine at night. Makes sense as run along roadway, both sides.
    Orbx offers a 'fix' via a file named 'shader_release_v3.2.3.zip' available in the Avsim library here : https://library.avsim.net/search.php...root&Go=Search
    This however does me and everyone else who runs dxt9 no good, as the 'fix' has something to do with incompatabilities with dxt10 and Orbx lights.

2) So then I looked at what @WarHorse47 had posted here regarding that little gauge 'B50!Sim_50' .
    I went to the panel folder and removed ' gauge51=B50!Sim_B50, 0,1,1,1 ' altogether from the panel config file.
    I re-installed the aircraft, and although I have lost a lot of the aircraft functionality via the main panel popup etc., the aircraft flies without any issues, and all ground textures are normal.

Here are a few pics from my nearly 50 min. flight in the same Orbx region near the same airport where these issues surfaced merely a few minutes into the flight with this gauge installed.

I hope, Manfred, this info is of some help in deciphering the cause of these missing textures.
    I have your team's C-47 and fell in love with it instantly. This B-50 ( and C-97 ) are quickly proving to be my next big favourites.
    The modelling is just amazing. I am now just hoping you and your team will find a patch for this issue.

Cheers, MZee ...

MZee, what kind of graphics card do you have?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Members who have read this thread: 1