F9F Cougar (Rob Richardson)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: F9F Cougar (Rob Richardson)

F9F Cougar (Rob Richardson)

Thought you guys might want to know about this, heard Rob was working on the TSR2 again so went over to his site to have a look. While there I noticed his current teaser pic is a Cougar

Says "Maybe" next to it but I'm hopeful, always had a soft spot for the Cougar.

Edit: Link: http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/index.html
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Oh yes! A Cougar would get a lot of hours here.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

A Cougar? Yes, please!

Would really like to see a two-seater. Just something very attractive about that aircraft shape with the longer canopy. But happy for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Would really like to see a two-seater. Just something very attractive about that aircraft shape with the longer canopy. But happy for anything.
    Yes I like the two-seater, there is also something quite appealing about the long nose P model, in a strange sort of way.
    The Cougar had some rather unusual systems such as the flaperettes and the yaw damper rudder, only the bottom half of which was controlled by the rudder peddles.
    The T model was also one of the first aircraft to have zero-zero ejector seats, courtesy of Martin Baker.
    The bulge under the nose housed a UHF homing antenna.
    And of course it was used by the Blue Angels who even took it to war in Korea, one of their number being killed.

RobR

I got a lot of time in Cougars - first as a student in Kingsville, Texas in 1966, then an instructor at Beeville in 1970-1971. We had both single and two seaters as a student, but only the 2-seat "orange and white Easter egg" later on in the 1970s. TA-4Js started to come in around 1972.

All the types I flew were the "-8" versions, with fixed, cambered leading edge wings.

You are right - some really weird concepts and systems due to Navy paranoia about transonic, irreversible flight controls. It had a bewildering amount of double or triple redundancy in different places. The speed brake system, the horizontal tail, flaps etc were a watchmakers nightmare, but it was in the end pretty reliable. We did not get the zero-zero MB seats until late 1970 as I recall.

It had a centrifugal flow engine that could eat a wrench with no damage, but of course not too powerful or efficient. It was a dog taking off on a hot Texas afternoon, for sure.

A curious point was the non-retractable tail hook.

A U-shaped handle was attached to a cable; three aft pulls on this handle - sort of like trying to start a lawnmower - and the hook mechanisms rolled aft on a trolley-like assembly below the tailpipe. Once it rolled back far enough, it dangled down from its pivot point to its proper orientation and a light showed that it was extended.

By pushing a button, it could be raised hydraulically after a carrier landing to a horizontal, but aft-extended position (called the "stinger" position) to clear the landing area. Then two guys from the arresting gear crew would shove it into the stowed and locked position with a piece of iron pipe that had what I believe was a hunk of matress wrapped around it. They held the pipe, one man on each side of the tailpipe, at a 90 degree angle to the airplane, the padding was placed against the backside of the hook point, and the heave forward to shove the hook home.

The F9F Panthers worked the same way.

Oh well, whatever works --

I'm getting that Buck Danny feeling again!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    i'm much the same actually, would love a TF-9 but I'll takes what I can gets.

Mike, I've heard that a lot actually, something along the lines of it only taking off on a hot day because the surface of the Earth was curved, much the same as the F-84 and the Jaguar. Regarding the Hook, if I'm not mistaken the Panther was the same and Vertigo actually managed to model this, only way to re-stow the hook was to reload the aircraft.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Takeoffs on a hot day - hold on to your hat! There were days when we would not fly due to temperatures that limited climbout after takeoff. Problem was -- the damn inboard gear doors had to OPEN to retract the gear, momentarily increasing drag at a critical point, especially for students. Some days at certain hours, only dual hops were allowed, some days at times it was so hot no one flew until it cooled down.

Remember, I'm talking south Texas in July-August. Hotter than the hinges of hell at times.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    . . . . .Regarding the Hook, if I'm not mistaken the Panther was the same and Vertigo actually managed to model this, only way to re-stow the hook was to reload the aircraft.
    Yep, a nice touch to model it like the actual aircraft, however it became a point of much debate by those of us who thought it interesting but not very user friendly. They finally (after about a year) released an update that allowed for resetting the hook from the cockpit. Aside from that I thought it was a nicely done model and still have it active.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Takeoffs on a hot day - hold on to your hat! There were days when we would not fly due to temperatures that limited climbout after takeoff. Problem was -- the damn inboard gear doors had to OPEN to retract the gear, momentarily increasing drag at a critical point, especially for students. Some days at certain hours, only dual hops were allowed, some days at times it was so hot no one flew until it cooled down.

Remember, I'm talking south Texas in July-August. Hotter than the hinges of hell at times.
    Probably no problem after strapping or hooking a couple of JATO bottles to each side of the aircraft and lighting them off! I remember watching JATO practice with the EKA-3b Skywarriors at NAS Whidbey just before our 1970 WestPac deployment.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

We need a good Cougar Looking forward to this model, My vote is for the single seat model.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I'm getting that Buck Danny feeling again!

Cees
    Me too, Cees !

Sjeesss, Buck, Sonny and Thumbler are flying the F-35 now.... they must be over 70 years old...

Just yesterday, I was thinking while flying Rob's Seahawk that we could use a good Cougar in FS. What a great surprise!

One of the first plastic kits I ever built was a Cougar, by, I think, Comet.

only way to re-stow the hook was to reload the aircraft.
    Wasn't there a Sea Hurricane like that, maybe in FS9?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Besides the two-seat TF-9J I'd love to have the single-seat RF-9J photo bird too but I'll be happy with the gunfighter if/when Rob puts it out. Nice companion to the Vertigo Panther.

A Cougar Story

I have a special affinity for the Cougar. These 2 newspaper photos will tell the story of what happened when I wrote to the Navy for aircraft photos. This happened in 1956 when I was 10 years old. BTW, I still have that model.

Click on each photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-171126-0002.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	55913 Me on the right

Name:	Scan-171126-0003.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	55914 Me on the left

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to this Rob...OUTSTANDING!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Much as I would like any Cougar, the two seat version remained long after the single seat version left service. It was unusually attractive, and trained a great number of Naval Aviators. I remember it fondly. Please Rob.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    I have a special affinity for the Cougar. These 2 newspaper photos will tell the story of what happened when I wrote to the Navy for aircraft photos. This happened in 1956 when I was 10 years old. BTW, I still have that model.

Click on each photo.

Me on the right

Me on the left
    That's a really good story!
    I'd love to see a close up picture of that model, from what I can see in the article they look first class quality.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post

Click on each photo.

Me on the right

Me on the left
    Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Much as I would like any Cougar, the two seat version remained long after the single seat version left service. It was unusually attractive, and trained a great number of Naval Aviators. I remember it fondly. Please Rob.
    Bill
    The single seat is all I can think about right now, so much work involved, although I do like the trainer and the P8.
    I have quite a lot of info on all models, just got hold of "Naval Fighters 66" and "67", loads of good photos and diagrams!
    I've never seen one in the flesh, dont think there are any in UK museums.
    There is one on board the USS Intrepid in New York ,which I visited a few years back, but it was not there then.
    I'm afraid the old pension will not run to another trip just yet!

RobR

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    The single seat is all I can think about right now, so much work involved, although I do like the trainer and the P8.
    I have quite a lot of info on all models, just got hold of "Naval Fighters 66" and "67", loads of good photos and diagrams!
    I've never seen one in the flesh, dont think there are any in UK museums.
    There is one on board the USS Intrepid in New York ,which I visited a few years back, but it was not there then.
    I'm afraid the old pension will not run to another trip just yet!

RobR
    We got one up in Seattle at the Boeing Museum of Flight.

And there's a trainer at the Evergreen Aviation Museum down in McMinnville, Or.

I might have some external pics from prior visits if it might help.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Rob,
    Here she is, a little worse for wear. After all, I have been dragging her around for the past 61 years. OMG! Many years ago while I was still into model building (probably the late sixties, early seventies) I got the bright idea to re-paint her in USN Gloss Sea Blue. That little venture undoubtedly cost me some dollars in re-sale value as old Topping models can be quite valuable. This model unpainted was probably worth $80-$90 u.s.

Name:	IMG_5011.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	55915

Name:	IMG_5004.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	55916

Name:	IMG_5008.jpg