The DHC-3 Otter by Milviz is released

Trying it out now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milviz DHC3_02.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Wim View Post
    The DHC-3 Otter by Milviz is released

Trying it out now.
    link to product> http://milviz.com/flight/products/DHC3/index.php

Notice this ?

"Important: Please note that all of the current default analog and digital avionic equipment installed in our general aviation aircraft and helicopters is based on underlying simulator code and as such, is subject to various deficiencies that cause operation of these units to vary from their real world counterparts. This is not able to be addressed by our team. This includes the GNS 530 / 430 units, audio panel, transponder, ADF unit, and nav/com radios. Due to the inherent limitations present in the simulator, we are therefore unable to provide fixes or support for any issues related to the operation or functionality of these items at this time."

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Notice this ?

"Important: Please note that all of the current default analog and digital avionic equipment installed in our general aviation aircraft and helicopters is based on underlying simulator code and as such, is subject to various deficiencies that cause operation of these units to vary from their real world counterparts. This is not able to be addressed by our team. This includes the GNS 530 / 430 units, audio panel, transponder, ADF unit, and nav/com radios. Due to the inherent limitations present in the simulator, we are therefore unable to provide fixes or support for any issues related to the operation or functionality of these items at this time."
    Nothing special, GNS 530 / 430 like default FSX/P3D hasnt all real functions. Notice too that GTN of Flight1 hasnt all functions like real 750/650 also (but for sure, they are more advanced that "deafault" avionics).
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Nothing special, GNS 530 / 430 like default FSX/P3D hasnt all real functions. Notice too that GTN of Flight1 hasnt all functions like real 750/650 also (but for sure, they are more advanced that "deafault" avionics).
    And what about e.g. the ADF and/or NAV/COM radios?

The 'King Beaver'

By 1950, the success of the DHC-2 Beaver was well established. In the chase of larger markets, however, it became apparent that there were certain potential customers that loved the idea of the Beaver - the STOL capabilities, the dependable performance, the utility-friendly design - but simply needed something bigger than what the Beaver could offer. And so the extremely gifted engineering team at Downsview rolled up their sleeves and got to work.
    The initial design was referred to as the 'King Beaver'. The key characteristics of the Beaver were retained: The high lift wings, the side door loading, the belly location of the fuel tanks. Although the load capacity didn't quite reach double the Beaver as originally intended, it did come close, with a 3500+ lb useful load capacity versus 2100 lbs on the smaller Beaver. Of course, the bigger aircraft with a larger load to haul needed a larger powerplant, and a geared version of the R-1340 Wasp radial engine was selected.
    The end result was a qualified success, with the aircraft carrying on the tradition of being named after Canadian wildlife and being renamed to the 'Otter'. Finding it's own niche in the world of aviation, 466 Otters were manufactured from 1952 until production was wound down in 1967. By that time, Otters had travelled the air above every continent, finding service with numerous military forces, bush operators, governments, and civilian airlines.
    Our simulation of the renowned Otter is designed to deliver a realistic and immersive experience, allowing everyone to enjoy the characteristics that brought the real Otter a popularity that continues to this day.
    Land Anywhere, Haul Everything

The workhorse capabilities of the DHC-3 Otter are able to be put to the test. Four separate configurations have been included for landing gear: Standard wheels, amphibious floats, skis, tundra tires; each model complete with tuned flight dynamics that accurately reflects differences in performance and handling.
    The interior can be outfitted for nearly any adventure you'd like, with separate passenger and passenger/cargo combinations. Individual passenger and cargo locations can be loaded/unloaded in the simulator, allowing for the visual emulation of flying to a destination and back again.
    Meticulously Detailed

The MilViz DHC-3 Otter features an intricately modeled, true-to-life interior and exterior, with an abundance of fine detail. All gauges, switches and controls feature smooth animation. Custom lighting makes night operations atmospheric and immersive, while high resolution textures with lifelike metal effects and realistic weathering create a simulation like no other.
    Accurate & In-Depth

Building on our experience with replicating the DHC-2 Beaver, the MilViz DHC-3 Otter offers a comparable level of systems depth and functionality. Our goal is to create an immersive, true-to-life experience for any simulator pilot, regardless of experience. Choose to fly the Otter by the book, or simply jump in and fly, your choice!
    Our Otter goes far beyond the default simulator functionality in order to provide an accurate, realistic recreation of key characteristics and systems functionality. The fuel system is closely emulated; starting the engine requires fuel pressure to be built up in the lines as well as proper priming, and also takes into account battery voltage and engine temperature. The electrical system is closely simulated, with operable circuit breakers present for key systems. The operation of the flaps, operated much like the Beaver with a selector valve and a hand pump, behaves realistically. And a powered tailwheel system has been custom created for this aircraft with a three way toggle switch that allows switching between powered, free castoring and locked.
    The dangerous effects of icing is also simulated, with serious consequences for disregarding potentially dangerous flight conditions. Ice accumulation can be hazardous to the Otter, leading to airspeed loss and a stall; freezing rain can disrupt static instruments and cause incorrect readings.
    And at the very core of this simulation is a carefully tuned flight model that seeks to impart the unique flight qualities of this STOL-capable workhorse, created by an author with DHC-3 experience.
    Highly Detailed KAP 140 Autopilot

The DHC-3 Otter includes our custom coded, very accurate simulation of the venerable KAP 140 autopilot. Faithful to the original, from the font used to the replication of servo drives on the trim wheels and the yoke. The logic used in the KAP 140 has been carefully replicated to deliver one of the most realistic autopilot simulations available. A separate manual for the autopilot has been included.
    Multi-Platform Support

The MilViz DHC-3 Otter package supports a full range of platforms, in a single downloadable installer:

• FSX: Acceleration
    • FSX: Steam Edition
    • Prepar3d v2
    • Prepar3d v3
    • Prepar3d v4

Navigate Your Way

Depending on the era and role you're simulating, we've allowed for an extremely wide variety of options for avionics and third party GPS units. With this package, an extensive amount of compatibility for popular third party gauges and avionics is available. Built-in configuration support from within our MVAMS application is included for the following:

• Flight1 GTN 650 (Single)
    • Flight1 GTN 750 (Single)
    • Flight1 GTN 650 & 750 (Combo)
    • Reality XP GNS 430/530W XP (Combo)
    • Mindstar GNS 430/530 (Combo)
    • MilViz GNS 430/530 (Combo)
    • Or, standard radios only!

Please note that compatibility for the above 3rd party gauges (such as from Flight1, RealityXP, Mindstar) includes support for installation and setup of our product only; use of any of the offered options requires a functional existing installation of the appropriate gauge.
    Use of any 3rd party avionics package in any desired simulator is also of course restricted to the availability of the avionics package for that simulator. Please see the respective manufacturers websites regarding platform compatibility for your avionics package.
    Included WX Advantage Weather Radar

The MilViz DHC-3 Otter package also includes a copy of the innovative MilViz / REX WX Advantage weather radar. The presence of this weather radar unit in the panel is completely optional - you can fly with or without it! (Please note: The included WX Advantage will only function in the DHC-3.)
    Important: Please note that all of the current default analog and digital avionic equipment installed in our general aviation aircraft and helicopters is based on underlying simulator code and as such, is subject to various deficiencies that cause operation of these units to vary from their real world counterparts. This is not able to be addressed by our team. This includes the GNS 530 / 430 units, audio panel, transponder, ADF unit, and nav/com radios. Due to the inherent limitations present in the simulator, we are therefore unable to provide fixes or support for any issues related to the operation or functionality of these items at this time.

System Requirements (Minimum):

Operating System:
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 10
    Use of this product in any other version of Windows is not supported at this time.
    Processor:
    2.6 Ghz or higher
    Memory:
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics:
    DirectX®11 compliant video card
    1024 MB video RAM or higher
    Hard Drive Space:
    3 GB available space
    Supported Platforms:
    FSX Acceleration
    FSX:Steam Edition
    Prepar3d Version 2 (Latest release, with all hotfixes)
    Prepar3d Version 3 (Latest release, with all hotfixes)
    Prepar3d Version 4
    P3Dv4 Compatibility Status: Version 4.1
    Current Product Version: 171123
    Use or installation of the products(s) referenced on this page in any other platform than that intended or shown above is not supported and may result in errors or a non-functioning product.
    Important:
    All MilViz products require a functioning gaming controller such as a joystick for proper operation.

Special DHC-3 Features:

Professionally created & tuned, high fidelity flight model including accurate characteristics specific to the DHC-3.
    Four Body Configurations - Standard Wheels, Amphibious Floats, Skis, Tundra Tires, with individually tuned flight models.
    Multiple loadout configurations, with passengers and cargo. Selectable cargo includes a externally mounted canoe!
    Custom fuel system with primer pump; engine start takes into account current engine temperature and includes potential for over-priming & flooding.
    Custom electrical system with display of electrical load and operable circuit breakers.
    Custom over-boosting cumulative damage simulation.
    Custom engine detonation effects with multiple causes.
    Unique flap operation which simulates the usage of the manually operated hydraulic pump and selector on the DHC-3.
    Realistic locked / powered / free-castoring tailwheel simulation
    Icing effects on airframe and static instruments fully simulated.
    Accurately simulated KAP 140 autopilot.

Richly detailed cabin with beautiful high resolution textures and smoothly animated gauges.
    Realistic and fully adjustable cabin and instrument lighting.
    Authentic sound environment, inside and out.
    Milviz / REX WX Advantage Weather Radar included and available as a 3D panel option.
    Ability to completely hide yoke and column for ease of access to important switches and controls.
    Highly configurable avionics with 3D panel installations for many GPS solutions, covering popular 3rd party add-ons such as Flight1 GTN, RealityXP GNS, and Mindstar GNS.
    Professionally created liveries based on or inspired by real world aircraft.
    Available layer-based paintkit for creating your own liveries.
    Detailed & educational flight manual & detailed autopilot manual.
    Prepar3d V4 compatible!

Here is a situation where we actually have a choice, we have modern reproductions of the otter from both JF/AH and Milviz, I am interested in seeing how they compare from the pilots here.

For me I am sitting on the fence for now. I already have the Milviz Beaver which I like flying. I tried the free demo from JF which is full featured but limited to 15 minutes or 1500 feet, which compared to the DHC-2 I found sluggish to fly and basically not as much fun. Now if I needed an AC with the longer range of the DHC-3 for say a flight around the world my temptation would be greater but I am interested in hearing peoples reviews and comparisons.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    ...which compared to the DHC-2 I found sluggish to fly and basically not as much fun.
    I suspect this is also true of the real world planes based on their relative engine and weight numbers.

The KAP 140 is a bit quirky. Anyone else having trouble getting it to work?

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    I suspect this is also true of the real world planes based on their relative engine and weight numbers.
    Yes and I have read that is the experience actual pilots, compared to the beaver it was like flying a truck.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Here is a situation where we actually have a choice, we have modern reproductions of the otter from both JF/AH and Milviz, I am interested in seeing how they compare from the pilots here.

For me I am sitting on the fence for now. I already have the Milviz Beaver which I like flying. I tried the free demo from JF which is full featured but limited to 15 minutes or 1500 feet, which compared to the DHC-2 I found sluggish to fly and basically not as much fun. Now if I needed an AC with the longer range of the DHC-3 for say a flight around the world my temptation would be greater but I am interested in hearing peoples reviews and comparisons.
    I purchased the JF Otter when it was released. At the time, I had totally forgotten that MV was also working on one and would have waited. As nice as the MV looks, I am not going to run out and spend more money on the Otter. -d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

The description mentions an amphibious version, though what I see is the floatplane, no wheels on it, so not amphibious... okay, I could be pedantic now and contradict myaself that you can land a floatplane on grass if necessary...

I for one prefer the wheeled and floatplane separate variants. Means I don't have to remember to pull up the wheels before landing on water...

You say it flies like a truck, well, it looks like one

This time of year, with all the sales on, it is quite a strain!

A
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Installed in P3dv4.1. The thrust lever don't work (mapped with FSUIPC)...and yes, the AP is very quirky.
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    The KAP 140 is a bit quirky. Anyone else having trouble getting it to work?

Cees
    That would be because "we" have all become accustomed to the simplified KAP140 units usually provided, as well as the totally unrealistic default autopilots that come with the sim.

There is a reason why there's a comprehensive separate manual for the custom KAP140 after all...

Hint: press and hold the AP button until the display lights up, then set the barometric pressure if necessary and then confirm by clicking on the BARO button.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    That would be because "we" have all become accustomed to the simplified KAP140 units usually provided, as well as the totally unrealistic default autopilots that come with the sim.

There is a reason why there's a comprehensive separate manual for the custom KAP140 after all...

Hint: press and hold the AP button until the display lights up, then set the barometric pressure if necessary and then confirm by clicking on the BARO button.

Thank you n4gix!

Cees

Any body see where the Max power. Max continuous power, ect is?

Quote Originally Posted by alehead View Post
    The description mentions an amphibious version, though what I see is the floatplane, no wheels on it, so not amphibious... okay, I could be pedantic now and contradict myaself that you can land a floatplane on grass if necessary...

I for one prefer the wheeled and floatplane separate variants. Means I don't have to remember to pull up the wheels before landing on water...

You say it flies like a truck, well, it looks like one

This time of year, with all the sales on, it is quite a strain!

A
    This confused me, until I realized that I had made an error on the product page... It should (and now does) read: "Four Body Configurations - Standard Wheels, Floats, Amphibious Floats, Skis, each with individually tuned flight models."

Thanks!
    Jim Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    Any body see where the Max power. Max continuous power, ect is?
    Indicated in the manual on page 80: Max Continuous Manifold Pressure = 33.5 in Hg, Max Continuous RPM = 2200 rpm. Max for 1 minute duration is 36 in Hg & 2250 rpm.

Firewalling it might also be entertaining.... just saying!

(Edited to fix typo!)
    Last edited by JimmyRFR; November 24th, 2017 at 13:21.
    Jim Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by ezunino View Post
    Installed in P3dv4.1. The thrust lever don't work (mapped with FSUIPC)...and yes, the AP is very quirky.
    Eduardo
    Works fine for me mapped with fsuipc

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRFR View Post
    Indicated in the manual on page 80: Max Continuous Manifold Pressure = 33.5 in Hg, Max Continuous RPM = 2200 rpm. Max for 1 minute duration is 33.5 in Hg & 2250 rpm.

Firewalling it might also be entertaining.... just saying!
    Thank you, I am obsessed with such numbers.
    ps I believe you meant max it is 36" Manifold pressure

I am getting quite a frame rate hit with this aircraft. Is anyone else getting this issue?

I have tried several different airports and sea bases -same scenario-with different manufactures ie; Carenado, Aerosoft, and my frame rate drops from high twenties down to 5-10fps...!?

Or could it be something else in the sim that I may not be aware of folks....?

Any input would be great to hear for I have chomping at the bit for this aircraft and hope its not full of frame rate gremlins?

Cheers,
    Tim.

Tim,
    I have a very average computer and it works fine. No framerate hit here.

Cees

Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I have no idea what is going on here!!?

Members who have read this thread: 1