Beriev Be-10 (Izdelye M/NATO:MALLOW-A) for FSX ready to test
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beriev Be-10 (Izdelye M/NATO:MALLOW-A) for FSX ready to test

Members +
    Blog Entries

Beriev Be-10 (Izdelye M/NATO:MALLOW-A) for FSX ready to test

Beriev Be-10, Izdelye M, (NATO reporting name: Mallow)
    General specifications
    Crew: 3
    Length: 31.45 m (103 ft 2 in)
    Wingspan: 28.6 m (93 ft 10 in)
    Height: 10.7 m (35 ft 1 in)
    Wing area: 130 m2 (1,400 sq ft) 50° sweep
    35° sweep fin
    40° sweep stab

Empty weight: 27,356 kg (60,310 lb)
    Gross weight: 45,000 kg (99,208 lb)
    Max takeoff weight: 48,500 kg (106,924 lb)
    Fuel capacity: 18,750 kg (41,337 lb)
    Draught 1.75 m (5.74 ft)
    Powerplant: 2 × Lyul'ka AL-7PB Axial flow turbojet,
    71.2 kN (16,000 lbf) thrust each 6°toe out

Performance:
    Maximum speed: 910 km/h (565 mph; 491 kn) at 5,000 m (16,400 ft)
    Range: 2,895 km (1,799 mi; 1,563 nmi)
    Service ceiling: 12,500 m (41,000 ft)
    Rate of climb: 10.288 m/s (2,025.2 ft/min)
    Time to altitude: 5,000 m (16,400 ft) in 8.1 minutes
    Armament
    Guns: 4 × 23 mm (0.90 in) Afanasev Makarov AM-23 cannon. 2 forward firing, and 2 in a radar-controlled tail turret
    ASUW weapons: Up to 3 RAT-52 torpedoes.
    Bombs: 12 × FAB-250 250 kg bombs or 1 FAB-3000 3,000 kg bomb.Anti-shipping mines.

Attachment 55802Attachment 55803Attachment 55804Attachment 55804

Alpha release for flight testing

mesh made in SKUP, animations in FSDS3.5, compiling in MCX

for FSX only, VC interim, textures crappy.
    Sound currently aliased to Tu-22, change to suit.
    Bomb doors-spoiler key, aft air opening door- tailhook, bomb bay loading hatch wingfold key, forward doorm BN compartment and canopy shift E
    Beaching gear-landing gear key
    still fine tuning flight model, though it's very close. Have to figure out how to reduce spoiler(bomb door) drag and pitch.
    CLosed out construction thread. Any mistakes are mine, no guarantees, it's worth what you paid for it.

It doesn't totally suck

Google Drive download link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xx...RggpgYp6dENY0T

Very interesting aircraft, just did a short spin in it. Takeoff is a bear, only way I could take off from water was with full flaps.
    I noticed the bomb bay drag but you know about that.
    Sound file aliases Simshed Nimrod 2010 but I am sure you know that also.
    Very impressive work in such a short time.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, 32000 pounds thrust, slow spool-up times on those old single shaft turbojets. Watching the few minutes of video around on the type, the T.O. procedure seemed to be accelerate with flaps up until on the step at about 120, then select four-five notches of flaps, it lifts off. It's not a really sprightly airplane, though a big step up from the Be-6!
    Nimrod sound sound alias? I must have been confused, no biggie.
    Not quite there yet, but well on the way. Ostavaytes' vlazhnymi!

Blog Entries
    yeah, but she doesnt come up on step.. I couldnt get her over 95 knots

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Odd. It's not lively, but it's flying right off on this end. Fuel load? Well, it needs work on the FDE...and a bunch of other stuff. The glass is bugging the hell out of me, monkeying with that back in skup- re-mapped it,
    The air file is probably at fault- I poached the air file from the Be-200- similar size and weight. I'll start there, I guess. If any one can sort that, you can, Pam.

Try this I had to edit aircraft cfg file. [TurbineEngineData]
    fuel_flow_gain = 0.002
    inlet_area = 7.100
    rated_N2_rpm = 29920.000
    static_thrust = 16550.000
    afterburner_available = 0
    reverser_available = 0.000
    ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.9
    AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.0

[jet_engine]
    thrust_scalar =1.5

Delete original then paste above into aircraft cfg file. T/O with full flaps then bring them up in increments. Works for me.

I noticed there weren't any Nav lights to speak of. So if you want delete orig Light txt in aircraft cfg the paste these in. [LIGHTS]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    // common lights are part of the model
    light.0 = 4, 40.41, 0.00, -1.50, fx_vclighth ,
    light.1 = 3, -17.81, -49.50, -5.00, fx_navredm
    light.2 = 3, -17.81, 49.50, -5.00, fx_navgrem
    light.3 = 3, -50.60, 0.00, -0.75, fx_navwhi
    light.4 = 1, -43.90, 0.00, 21.50, fx_beacon
    light.5 = 3, -17.61, -49.50, -5.00, fx_strobeh
    light.6 = 3, -17.61, 49.50, -5.00, fx_strobeh

Members +
    Blog Entries

slightly updated cfg and air

I'm doing a crash course in AIR files. Liquor helps...damned MS SDK...
    Attachment 55807
    Fixed the pitch up and brakes when the bomb door is opened. I want to put a bit of drag back in. No speed brakes on this tub. It was standard procedure on BEAGLE's and BADGER's to use the bomb doors as speed brakes. Going too fast isn't a big problem with this barge, however.
    I went back over the numbers, I think I screwed up the fuel calculations, so 41,337 lbs JET A at 6.8lbs/USG comes to 6170 USG, there about. I have no idea about the tank layout- soviet's of that vintage didn't do wet wings, just lots and lots of bladders, so I went with a 4056 gallon center section tank and two 1056 USG inboard wing tanks, which is at least plausible.
    I had used the 'normal' 99,208 TOW, so I changed the MAX AUW to 106,924 lb, which is 100% fuel, 3000lbs in the ordnance bay, and 1200 odd lbs of miscellaneous Aviation Crapp in the fore and aft equipment bays (survival gear, dinghies, covers, oil and hydraulic fluid, fly-away kit, chocks, tiedowns, mooring crapp, vodka, tinned sardines, SKS's &c.)
    At 106,000 lbs, the take off run is 'leisurely'...by that I mean really, really effin' long, hitting the step at 120 kts, selececting next to last notch of flap, sloooowly breaking water at 130 kts and initial climb out at 145 kts. A more reasonable fuel load for operational purposes is around 60-70%, and 30-40% for test flying and training hops- close to landing weight so you don't have to attempt a tetchy over-weight landing, or spend five hours doing the burning fuel circle-jerk if somethings gone pear-shaped
    Given the thrust-weight loading, a sharply swept wing of conventional profile and no high-lift devices, it's probably not grossly out of whack. It was reputed to be a handful on take off, particularly in any kind of seaway.
    No wonder they drank the de-ice and avionics cooling boozo...

Nice. Hadn't got to the lights, yet. No cheating on thrust. 16,000 lbs was all there was, probably less due to seawater ingestion and no on-board compressor wash... and I'm going to measure the inlet area right now...I just eyeballed it.

Deploying baking algebra...Pi R2...No! Cake are square, Pie are round!
    Ye product of Pie and it's radius squared;
    Doth yield the area of the pan,
    an area vast enough to be shared,
    Not gobbled entire by one man

A=πr2, inlet radius 1.953 ft, area equals 11.98 ft. Not too far off, but close only counts in Strategic Thermonuclear Warfare...

Attachment 55808 this is the text of the AIR file, ifin ye ken that...

Some fiddling with contact points might be in order, too. The machine has a dramatic nose up angle that the FSX points probably cant do. Maybe moving the most aft float point, try for some more nose up.

the bumpy bits for the nav lights are modeled, on the tip float pylons and aft face of the vertical stab cap.

I saw something about inlet area for turbojets recently: apparently it’s the inlet area to the combustion chamber you need, not the inlet area of the engine front, and you get mega drag if you get that wrong. I expect Pam will know?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Found it, read Roy Holmes in this thread:-

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...3/#post-779853
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lazarus, thanks Hairyspin.. I aint no genius, but sometimes i get lucky.. I'll see what i can do..

Oh and yeah, I knew, but it took a while to learn it the first time..
    What we need do is raid offices of KGB and steal data sets on that engine ...

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Not a single one left, and all the KGB has these days is is incriminating grabs from a video game of Hillary and his Trumpness in a wading pool full of caviar and Madison's...
    I sat down with air ed and the SDK- I think this is more like it. The proper values for the aircraft are slotted into the AIR file, turbojets instead of fans, moved the CG forward a notch. Much better, still big and heavy. Needs some fine tuning, trim authority. Looking into setting the thrust lines, wing and stab dihedral and airfoil. The interim lights entries are in. Still ponderous at MaxAUW, but better.

Attachment 55809

Your revised airfile and aircraft cfg work great for me. Thanks. One small nit picker. The gear handle in the VC operates backwards. I don't know if it is easy to fix or is this a Russian thing?

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Good news, then. The VC is the old alphasim FOXBAT, strictly interim. A flying boat wouldn't have a gear handle, except when it has built in beaching gear.
    Just borrowed it because it's twin engine, russian, the windscreen and canopy look similar and open the same way.

The SDK thinks its inlet area, not diffuser area, which makes a bit more sense for a drag, ram and mass flow calculation. The diffuser is back behind the compressor, the last place one'd try to get ram pressure. It's also vanishingly small area in any turbine and a damn hard number to find outside of engineering drawings. Inlet area- the hole at the front- is the value you'd be after to define mass flow CFM. I'd also hazard a guess that a MS softwear wonk wouldn't know a diffuser from cunnilingus. When he's talking about all the air in a turbojet going through the burner, he's confused with bypass ratio, or the amount of first stage air that bypasses the core.
    So with a inlet area of seven feet, but a fairly high mass flow, the engines were choking and not making thrust until the ASI was pushed up. Too much inlet things get draggy. Lots of good stuff in the airfile, once I dope out what the codes are. It's further along than yesterday.

This is a blast, thanks very much , im a sucker for some cold war Soviet metal , I am wondering how much water you need for take-off, Ive found an old fs9 ADE file for Douzlav in the Crimea, the only base these monsters operated from, just need to insert some water starts and point them in the right direction, the base itself was a mile or two inside a fresh water lake with a 200 yard gap out into the Black sea, weather they taxi'd out into the black sea or took off in the lake, i have'nt quite figure'd yet.

Finally! A nice jet flying boat (although it handles like a tub as I fully expected it would). I was suprised to see there wasn't a side by side crew. The only thing I changed was the elevator trim effectiveness in the CFG file to 5.00 as I had to hold about half a stick's throw to keep it level. This cured it for me. Take off with full flaps at 120. It looks good sitting in the water to me, but I'll play with some spray effects because it does need those! I used Virtavia's A-3 sound for now but may swap up to Captain Sim's 707 as they sound beefier! This really looks nice, might we expect (or may I request) a Martin Seamaster in the future? Or, you know, a Be-12 would be cool too. Flying boats and amphibs rock!

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Lake Donuzlav NAS would be cool- that's where the LCAC's are based, too. I heard the russians sank a blockship, the Ochakov, in the channel. I believe they just operated in the lake, though I've been flying out of Khersones across the gulf, over at the lighthouse. There are a bunch of hard stands, and the slope down to the beach does a nice improvised ramp. I might have to get to grips with scenery, too.
    And, predictably, I'm looking at the P6M, which isn't a stretch from Item M. And the Be-6..fFirst the Raketonosets, the Be-10M, and a VC of some sort.

Thank you for the Be-10 Mallow. I remember the first time I saw one of these in a book detailing Soviet aircraft when I was around ten years old -- and then wonder for the next couple of decades why I never seemed to see this plane in other publications. (Apparently they didn't make too many of these planes and the concept of a jet-powered flying boat, awesome as that sounds, had run its course.)

The visual model is beautiful (well, beautiful if you think Ekranoplans are beautiful), and quite frankly the Alphasim Foxbat VC seems to be oddly appropriate.
    At this point all I did was to change the following:
    //elevator_effectiveness =1.000
    elevator_effectiveness =1.500
    -and-
    //elevator_trim_effectiveness =1.500
    elevator_trim_effectiveness =1.7500
    The autopilot could stand some tweaking but that may come later.
    At least now it has some elevator effectiveness at speed, and also lifts out of the water around 95-100 kts (still using full flaps).

Again, thank you very much

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Cheers all, and thanks. Very charitable lot, you are! Pretty basic stuff, no PDMG, but the price is right!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...C1Jd2JENzJMaXc

Previous link superseded, some updates. Sorted the milky glass, updated/fixed a few things on the MALLOW-A, put nav lights and a beacon on the model, matched the cfg file up. Smoother out a couple spots that were bugging the hell out of me. Massaging the FDE, he will make it out to VNE and it's more lively, getting that distinctive nose up jetboat attitude on the water, the mods suggested here from flight testing rolled in.
    Be-10M MALLOW-B model with K-10BM ASM, neither made it off the drafting board, the navy opting for land based strike and anti-shipping aircraft. There are 2 models here,
    model 'M', the captive carry aircraft has the missiles on a weight condition on the payload manager. The 'M2' model is the 'shooter', with missiles on dropped object condition from a saved flight. The dropped object condition took out the beaching gear, not really sure why, but I want to do proper beaching gear with out a visibility condition hide.
    The contact points still work, but the M2 shooter has no visible beaching gear.
    Good 'nuff for today.
    Saved flights included, around Sevastapol. A selection of soviet bombs, the K-10's and 23mm cannon ammo go in sim objects/ misc.

Attachment 55842Attachment 55843Attachment 55844Attachment 55845Attachment 55846Attachment 55847

Ostavaytes' vlazhnymi!

Lazarus, I think you mixed up the link because when I open the downloaded file I find a Be-12 Mail (also nice but not a be-10)

Members +
    Blog Entries
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ax...sToZRmlZ4hYwP7

Whups. Finger trouble. And brain trouble Yeah, Vlad's old MAIL, elevators run backwards, and it's really grunchy...that should be it. Thanks for the HU.
    Attachment 55848

...Vzglyani na nego! On molot i serp!

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 55891Attachment 55892Attachment 55893Attachment 55894Attachment 55895

More cfg massaging, messing with effects- which I'm still not happpy with. The SDK says some mumble about a 'waterspeed' entry, which I have not been able to make work...just not satisfactory for a big jetboat; these things throw up a substantial roostertail of brine, and the jet blast is totally missing More digging in the SDK is required, I suppose. The RAT-52 is a bit more successful, if you drop at low altitude, and don't exceed the max load, the torpedo takes off after spashdown, and leaves a nice trail in the water, though sometimes it runs wild and circles. It will explode if you hit a beach with it; I guess it's a land attack torpedo. Neat weapon, the soviets couldn't do electrics or Otto fuel, so they went with rocket propelled torpedo's, copied by the PRC as the YU-2.
    I sanded and hammered and ground the mesh, it's much smoother, fixed up the profile mistakes I made in the nose and tail, it's about an order of magnitude better, while coming in a little lighter. I also figured out the visibility condition interfering with the beaching gear- the dropped object or weight condition must be higher in the node hierarchy than the gear. Handy, now I can get the armament options folded into the Be-10. Somebody mentioned once that the dropped object condition won't work in P3D, which is diverging further with every iteration, so a captive carry model with the missiles on payload condition is provided. Also, toss out the first edition ASM, names have changed with further information. Sources have disagreed on the naming of the weapon, some claim K-10BM-BS, the word from Beriev's archives is it's called the K-12BS system. The saved flights have been so adjusted. Close to a general release. I'm reasonably happy with external. Now to dope out the weapons loads.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pr...Rkj36P88c2Bl8Z

I just wanted to say thanks again for the Mallow (and the revised Altair, Orlyonok and Lun).

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Cheers! Was/is fun, if simple. Learned a lot. Follows the new motto:

It's not total crap...

Think I can tackle a P6M, now, and am digging into the mysteries VC's and landing gear. A long list of boats need doing. PS-1/US-1, SH-5...that new amphib from the PRC- which is just the SH-5 pressurized, the An-12 wing and Be-6 tail sanded off, and those awful wopen turboprops deep sixed.
    All I can promise is...it may not be total crap...

Hi lazarus, having a blast with the Mallow, and thanks for the saved flights, nice touch, it really isnt crap , but ive an issue with the vc viewpoint on all models----

Members who have read this thread: 0