Bristol Centaurus sound file

Thread: Bristol Centaurus sound file

Bristol Centaurus sound file

Good morning all,

Looking for a good engine sound for the JF Hawker Typhoon, something a little more meaty !!

Cheers for now

Well, now you've confused me...

Skysong Soundworks has a great Bristol Centaurus soundset that I picked up for the Flying Stations Sea Fury.

As for the Hawker Typhoon, I thought it was a different engine -- the Napier Sabre. Inline vs. radial??

Anyways, I was looking for a replacement soundset for the Aeroplane Heaven Hawker Typhoon. "something a little more meaty."

Let me know if you find something.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

No confusion, I was reading a review on line and the Simmer commented that the engine sound was a bit weak ( to my defence I’ve never heard a Napier engine running ) and I was in agreement. He searched came across the Bristol Centaurus file and seem to do the trick.

I would think the sounds of these two engines would be different. The Napier Sabre in the Typhoon and some marks of Tempest is a 24 cylinder liquid cooled engine in H configuration with 12 ejector exhaust stubs on each side of the cowling. The Bristol Centaurus is an 18 cylinder aircooled radial. There is a 3 minute sound clip on the Tempest Society website of a Sabre powered Tempest taxying, taking off and doing some flypasts. I think in this case it comes down to individual choice and preference. These days not many people will have heard a Napier Sabre running, slightly more will have heard a Bristol Centaurus. I have watched and heard Black burn Beverley transports flying overhead, each with 4 Centaurus engines at take off power, if only I could repeat that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    I would think the sounds of these two engines would be different. The Napier Sabre in the Typhoon and some marks of Tempest is a 24 cylinder liquid cooled engine in H configuration with 12 ejector exhaust stubs on each side of the cowling. The Bristol Centaurus is an 18 cylinder aircooled radial. There is a 3 minute sound clip on the Tempest Society website of a Sabre powered Tempest taxying, taking off and doing some flypasts. I think in this case it comes down to individual choice and preference. These days not many people will have heard a Napier Sabre running, slightly more will have heard a Bristol Centaurus. I have watched and heard Black burn Beverley transports flying overhead, each with 4 Centaurus engines at take off power, if only I could repeat that experience.
    Popped over to Skysong Soundworks website and had a listen to their Centaurus sound demo, very impressive as Warhores47 commented.

Have wallet in hand .....

Cheers to both of you for some help.

Aircanuck

Guys,

The Bristol Centaurus engine is a double row 18 cylinderRADIAL ENGINE. Which was used on the Tempest and Sea Fury (among others).....

The Hawker Typhoon had a Napier Sabre, which had 24 cylinders in a H configuration. Which can roughly be seen as four six cylinder in-a-row engines combined in one engine block.

Apart from the fact that both are aircraft engines, they have nothing in common!

Lawdow made a CFS2 sound file for the Napier engine, which can be found here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=48&id=13635

At Simviation there is a soundpack available made by a Carl-Olof Sandberg, which can be found here : https://simviation.com/1/browse-Flig...+Sounds-112-24 (second one from the top).

You can hear the genuine Napier Sabre sound in this YOuTube movie:

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks! Just bought this. I thought the freeware Centaurus sound was really good but this is even better!! Kermit Weeks has a Typhoon or Tempest at FoF and we saw the Napier Sabre engine in the shop back in 2010. The guide said it was under restoration and seeing what Weeks does that probably means restoration to fly. Where did the Sabre sound come from? It has a really weird sound at idle (almost like two separate engines!)

The Napier Sabre sounds were sampled from contemporary footage and cleaned up. As already pointed out, you are confusing the Sabre with the Centaurus radial which powered the much later Tempest and has nothing to do with the Typhoon.Whether a sound is deep or loud enough has a lot to do with your card settings and audio setup.

Nigel Richards did a lovely Centaurus sound pack which he very kindly let me include with my CFS3 Tempest II, but I would never confuse it with a Sabre. Apart from the differences already mentioned, it’s a liquid cooled motor and the Centaurus is air cooled (and very oily, hence very smelly, poooh...)
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    The Napier Sabre sounds were sampled from contemporary footage and cleaned up. As already pointed out, you are confusing the Sabre with the Centaurus radial which powered the much later Tempest and has nothing to do with the Typhoon.Whether a sound is deep or loud enough has a lot to do with your card settings and audio setup.
    I always thought the Tempest was just an improved Typhoon and didn't know there was a radial powered version. It's a little confusing from what I've read, but it sounds like there are three flavors, two powered by a Sabre. On that has the gigantic chin radiator, one that has the radiator openings in the wings and a clean nose like a Hurricane and the Centaurus powered version which probably just starts blending into Fury territory. I was just wondering if the YouTube video got the sound from Kirmit's engine if it had been finished. It just sounds really good for some cleaned up old audio and I had my hopes up that his was running!

Basically, there were two Typhoons. Both Sabre powered. The first had the multi-frame car-door type canopy and entry. The second, the teardrop sliding bubble canopy as simulated (copied by the Republic P47D by the way). The Tempest was a design based on the Typhoon but with several major differences including being powered by the Centaurus radial engine. The Tempest evolved into the Sea Fury.

Quick reads defined:

Hawker Typhoon (Variants):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon

Hawker Tempest (Variants):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Tempest

Hawker Fury II / Sea Fury:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Sea_Fury

The main differences between Typhoon and Tempest are the wings and enlarged tail on the Tempest. The Tiffie had a big thick wing which was as good at altitude as my big thick head, but awfully good low down where it was one of the fastest aircraft around. The Tempest had a thinner, laminar-flow type of wing with an elliptical profile and less drag: top speed was improved and handling much improved, especially with spring-tab ailerons: most V-1 flying bombs shot down by aircraft were shot down by Tempests. If you want to know what it was like to fly either, try David Ince in Brotherhood of the Skies (Typhoon), Roland Beaumont or Pierre Closterman in The Big Show (Tempest V). Like the Jug, you tried to out-dive a Tempest at your peril.

The Tempest was used in two main flavours, Sabre powered Mk.V and VI or Centaurus Mk.II. The wing radiators mentioned were on the Mk.I which didn’t get beyond prototype stage. The postwar Mk.VI had the oil cooler in the wing like the Mk.II and the chin radiator like the Mk.V.
    Last edited by hairyspin; November 21st, 2017 at 10:26.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 0