FSX or P3Dv4? Your opinions please(Posted in FSX Forum too)

Thread: FSX or P3Dv4? Your opinions please(Posted in FSX Forum too)

FSX or P3Dv4? Your opinions please(Posted in FSX Forum too)

SOH Community,

As my new desktop (i9 7900X, dual 1080 GPUs, WIN 10 Pro, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2933Mhz, 1500w PSU & 3 TB HHD) is imminently inbound next week to the Land of the Morning Calm, I query your input, advice and recommendations please.

While I loosely follow some of the P3Dv4 scuttlebutt about being a better 64 bit simulation engine, what I would like to know is your feedback on why you think one or the other is better, in your opinion of course.

I am on the fence making the move to P3Dv4 but just really want to see your opinions of LM and how they are continuing to support/evolve, as well as some of the supporting FSX developers. I own volumes of FSX scenery, add-ons and aircraft. While I understand many are compatible, just curious how tough some items have been to convert over to P3Dv4.

Also, once you buy a license, is it only good for that particular machine and do you need to purchase additional licenses once you upgrade your machine or a newer version releases?

Thanks so much in advance. Always supported and read this forum daily. It's been great seeing some items completed and others that seemed to fade away, reappear, like the P-61.

Have a great day all!

Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

No Comparison!

There really is no comparison between the two simulators in terms of the look and feel. The depth of field that can be obtained with P3Dv4 and other eye candy (even with a relatively medium cost system like mine) is 2x what can be obtained with FSX. I believe the depth of field sensation comes from the many shadows that can be used in P3Dv4.

I've not seen any OOMs in P3Dv4 and that is what drove me to P3Dv4 originally. I had acquired too many FTX land areas and airports, so strated to get OOMs on FSx. Now that FTX has upgraded most products to P3Dv4, I'm all loaded up and have a bunch of eye candy.

There are some great aircraft not yet working in P3Dv4 (e.g., VRS F-18, M2M Mirage 2000, etc.) and there is no TacPac. Other than that, the flying in P3Dv4 is great. The specs of your system look like it will run P3Dv4 with all sliders to the right and FPS over 60!

There is a small learning curve to P3Dv4, but it is not significantly different in many aspects from FSX. There are some add-ons that will have to be acquired (PTA, new REX sort of texture replacement, etc.) to made P3Dv4 look its best. There is no doubt you will be moving from FSX to a new simulator within the next 2 years, so take the opportunity now.

Think about buying a 4K display of some type for a very immersive experience. I got a very inexpensive 4K 55 inch television from NewEgg and have been really pleased.

(I do not know the answer about the license extending to more than one computer.)
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Charter Member 2015
    Hi
    P3d 4.1
    Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win10/Win11 Pro X64

I don't think you can run it on more than one system at once but if you upgrade your free to install it to your new system no problem.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Thanks for all the advice thus far. Copied from FSX thread...

Great advice all! I just looked at the LM website (Thanks TuFun!) and noticed the Professional Plus version offering "Experience combat scenarios involving a complement of weapons and sensors". That's an interesting bullet, though not worth the asking price. However, I wonder if this is the reason VRS nor TacPack work within the P3D environment? I would also be really curious as to what complement of weapons and sensors are included in that package, not because I could afford that, but just really curious if there's a potential conflict of interest.

I may just try installing both. I was honestly quite tired of the OOM messages from before, especially after performing a very long flight, but what I really want is the best immersion since it looks like it will be some time before I can ever honestly pursue a PPL. I also have an Occulus Rift arriving with my partial household goods in 2 months, so really want the most immersive environment possible. With so many great add-ons, it really is tough trying to go one way or the other, but love hearing opinions of the crew here and with a dedicated 1TB HDD to flying, I do not foresee running out of HDD space anytime soon.

Thanks for some great advice thus far. I will continue to browse thread and the P3D thread. Thanks again.

Matt

Although TacPack for v4 isn't out yet, it is in beta testing at the moment.
    Worth noting if TacPack is important to you that it only supports P3d academic.

With the 60 day refund policy, I don't really see a reason not to try it.
    It's the future!

I only keep FSX around to do Scenery design since Instant Scenery 3 is not compatible with P3D_V4 and depending on who you listen to. . .it may never be. As others have told you in various ways, P3D_V4_64bit is the future and the question of comparison between FSX and P3D_V4 is a mute point. If you want OOM problems, stuttering, constant tweaking to chase the elusive best FPS and so on, then stay with FSX, otherwise the only reasons to stay with it are for scenery design, because you have favorite FS9 Aircraft that you can't let go of and must bring forward (even though they won't work) or because you don't want to pay the price for another new Sim.

The Academic version has everything most people need, there is a developers License that is charged monthly if you want to try it first for a minimal charge, but I don't see any reason for anyone to jump to the Professional License unless they are committed to serious addon development (Scenery, aircraft, etc) or you simply must be able to "Blow Stuff Up" with advanced military weapons and scenarios!!

If the Freeware aircraft you want to move into P3D are "Native FSX" then in most cases they will work just fine. Payware aircraft will as well as many companies have upgraded their installers to include P3D versions as a choice for installation. Since you keep a loose eye on the P3D Forums you may know by now that any FSX aircraft that require dll's to be fully functional would require updated 64bit dll's, also aircraft that use dll or gau style gauges. . .those will not display. If the scenery you wish to move forward (freeware especially) have been compiled with at least the FSX_SDK and again, don't require specialized dll's to function correctly (as some payware scenery does), those will work fine. If you are running Orbx Scenery then you should be aware that their conversions are a WIP as they catch up all their scenery to V4 specs. Hope some of this is helpful.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I would recommend P3Dv4.x as well. It offers the best overall experience and can only get better.

Say, I just noticed you are in Camp Casey now. I was stationed in Camp Hovey when I first arrived in Korea, then later was transferred to Camp Casey. I was with the 302nd Brigade Support Battalion working in the Signal Corps shop as a 31E20 (Field Radio Tech).
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Ed, have you tried Simdirector in V4 yet?

I just came over to the "dark side" a couple days ago. I found out IS3 does not work with V4, as you mentioned, but Simdirector looks like it may do quite a lot, including adding scenery objects, but obviously not as easy as IS3. Pete

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I only keep FSX around to do Scenery design since Instant Scenery 3 is not compatible with P3D_V4 and depending on who you listen to. . .it may never be. As others have told you in various ways, P3D_V4_64bit is the future and the question of comparison between FSX and P3D_V4 is a mute point. If you want OOM problems, stuttering, constant tweaking to chase the elusive best FPS and so on, then stay with FSX, otherwise the only reasons to stay with it are for scenery design, because you have favorite FS9 Aircraft that you can't let go of and must bring forward (even though they won't work) or because you don't want to pay the price for another new Sim.

The Academic version has everything most people need, there is a developers License that is charged monthly if you want to try it first for a minimal charge, but I don't see any reason for anyone to jump to the Professional License unless they are committed to serious addon development (Scenery, aircraft, etc) or you simply must be able to "Blow Stuff Up" with advanced military weapons and scenarios!!

If the Freeware aircraft you want to move into P3D are "Native FSX" then in most cases they will work just fine. Payware aircraft will as well as many companies have upgraded their installers to include P3D versions as a choice for installation. Since you keep a loose eye on the P3D Forums you may know by now that any FSX aircraft that require dll's to be fully functional would require updated 64bit dll's, also aircraft that use dll or gau style gauges. . .those will not display. If the scenery you wish to move forward (freeware especially) have been compiled with at least the FSX_SDK and again, don't require specialized dll's to function correctly (as some payware scenery does), those will work fine. If you are running Orbx Scenery then you should be aware that their conversions are a WIP as they catch up all their scenery to V4 specs. Hope some of this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post

Ed, as always, great advice. I just want overall best immersion and the ability to port over most of my FSX kit, when needed.

Out of curiosity, do you or others use any of the MyTraffic or TrafficX programs in P3Dv4? I really liked the AI and various loadouts many of those offer. Are they needed or does P3Dv4 do a much better job of portraying landing and flying AI?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I would recommend P3Dv4.x as well. It offers the best overall experience and can only get better.

Say, I just noticed you are in Camp Casey now. I was stationed in Camp Hovey when I first arrived in Korea, then later was transferred to Camp Casey. I was with the 302nd Brigade Support Battalion working in the Signal Corps shop as a 31E20 (Field Radio Tech).
    Retired last year out of Yongsan/Seoul with USFK. Picked up a military contracting job at Casey during terminal leave and absolutely love the country. Had 9-11 not happened, I would have come here sooner, but felt as a career infantryman, Afghanistan and Iraq were more career enhancing than Korea.

Hovey is actually still here, but scheduled to close either next year of following year. Really a shame, as it would make a great maneuver area for US troops to own and play around in, since the MOUT environment still an issue with what is needed to be concurrent in training wise.

Matt

Well,

I just took the plunge, and purchased P3Dv4. Defragging the dedicated HDD before installing. And then figuring out what add-on's to install first.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Of course, of all the simulators available today, FSX is certainly showing it's age. Between the two you really can't compare.

But here's the deal, for me: 60 USD for the academic license, translates to about 200 BRL, my local currency in Brazil.

One hour of flight training costs 350, local currency, so a big "no way" for me right now.

Xplane 11 costs 112, local currency, already a lot better and not a bad simulator, should cost even less on steam sales.

FSW, on the other hand is 45 right now because of early access, again, local currency, and 20-some on sale. This is worth it just for those nice planes it includes.

TLDR:

I can't see myself going p3d anytime soon because it costs too much compared to other (sometimes better) options.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Well,

I just took the plunge, and purchased P3Dv4. Defragging the dedicated HDD before installing. And then figuring out what add-on's to install first.
    What to install first ? Easy:
    - freeware clouds and sky textures: HDEv2.1 for FSX by Pablo Diaz
    - freeware tree textures: "trees for photoreal sceneries" by Aimé Leclercq
    And then you can proceed with installing planes

Thanks for the suggestions Daube,

First off I will be installing FSUIPC and AS2016, as I already purchased those a while ago for P3D.

Then I will certainly have a look at the two suggestions you made.

Guess, I have a lot of installing and seting up to do before I can really start enjoying this (for me) new simulator.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

So, after all the great advice and input, thanks by the way, I finally committed to P3Dv4. I am now in the throws of re-installing the huge Orbx library converted from my FSS orders and their painfully slow download speeds. However, what I am realizing, is with the terrain, mesh and weather add-ons, P3Dv4 and FSX are both HDD hogs.

So, I query a final question on my ongoing build....what SSD HHD would you guys recommend? I am seeking a 1+TB and looking for the best speed regarding load up and flying long distance FSX routes. Also, once all the add-ons are installed, how easy is it to port over the new P3Dv4 install onto it's new SSD HHD? Sorry, I guess I had 2 questions....just excited to be back flying in the virtual skies again.

Thanks in advance
    Matt

Matt

Matt - I left you a reply in the FSX Forum.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    So, after all the great advice and input, thanks by the way, I finally committed to P3Dv4. I am now in the throws of re-installing the huge Orbx library converted from my FSS orders and their painfully slow download speeds. However, what I am realizing, is with the terrain, mesh and weather add-ons, P3Dv4 and FSX are both HDD hogs.

So, I query a final question on my ongoing build....what SSD HHD would you guys recommend? I am seeking a 1+TB and looking for the best speed regarding load up and flying long distance FSX routes. Also, once all the add-ons are installed, how easy is it to port over the new P3Dv4 install onto it's new SSD HHD? Sorry, I guess I had 2 questions....just excited to be back flying in the virtual skies again.

Thanks in advance
    Matt
    In a perfect world I'd have minimum 2TB SSD for the sim. Because V4 makes efficient use of the Add-Ons (options tab), you can split your storage if you wish. That makes it much easier to isolate your various add-ons you don't want to hassle with when P3D updates or requires a major re-install. The primary SSD would house the simulator, ORBX and bits that need to reside inside the sim, the peripherals can live on their own drive. I set my sim up taking advantage of the Add-ons.

Two 1TB SSD's would hold a large amount of data and transfer very quickly. Performance would be nearly seamless. If budget allowed it, I'd have two 2TB SSD's.

I'm running a Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD and WD Black 2TB spinner at the moment with good results and relatively fast loads, considering the amount of data I have shoved into the sim.
    That said, I'm still running what I would call a lean setup, with my R&D projects having priority. I do have the ORBX basics installed, FTX Global Base and Vector plus Open LC North America & Europe, but that's it. For a recreational sim, I would definitely want the breathing room of at least 3TB...or more.

Glad to see you took the big plunge. You are going to be very pleased.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Members who have read this thread: 0