FSX or P3Dv4? Your opinions please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSX or P3Dv4? Your opinions please

FSX or P3Dv4? Your opinions please

SOH Community,

As my new desktop (i9 7900X, dual 1080 GPUs, WIN 10 Pro, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2933Mhz, 1500w PSU & 3 TB HHD) is imminently inbound next week to the Land of the Morning Calm, I query your input, advice and recommendations please.

While I loosely follow some of the P3Dv4 scuttlebutt about being a better 64 bit simulation engine, what I would like to know is your feedback on why you think one or the other is better, in your opinion of course.

I am on the fence making the move to P3Dv4 but just really want to see your opinions of LM and how they are continuing to support/evolve, as well as some of the supporting FSX developers. I own volumes of FSX scenery, add-ons and aircraft. While I understand many are compatible, just curious how tough some items have been to convert over to P3Dv4.

Also, once you buy a license, is it only good for that particular machine and do you need to purchase additional licenses once you upgrade your machine or a newer version releases?

Thanks so much in advance. Always supported and read this forum daily. It's been great seeing some items completed and others that seemed to fade away, reappear, like the P-61.

Have a great day all!

Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Looks like you have a great machine for P3D, FSX would never take advantage of all that horse power. I have been using it for a while and am very impressed by the performance and stability. The generally do ask you to buy again with each major version which seams to be every two years. But I take that as the cost of supporting the product. But then I got the academic license so it’s not too expensive.

If if your on the fence get a one month developer license and try it out.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

With that rig you'll run FSX like a champ if you carefully configure everything.
    My specs are pretty much similar and my FSX runs very nicely indeed (I get between 30-40 FPS with FSL A320X at Heathrow Extreme - Ukscenery 2000, Orbx FTX, OrbxRegion England, AS16, Track IR, FSXWildlife, etc)

Regarding P3D why don't you install the monthly license version to try it out - as Blanston suggests? Then, you'll have both side by side to compare. That's where I'm heading at some point but tbh, FSX does it for me at the moment and when I do eventually move to P3D it'll be permanent (because of the cost of moving all my addons) that's what's stopping me!
    "It isn't bust so I'm not fixing it"
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

You can try it for 60 days, then return it if your not satisfied.

https://www.prepar3d.com/support/refundpolicy/

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Great advice all! I just looked at the LM website (Thanks TuFun!) and noticed the Professional Plus version offering "Experience combat scenarios involving a complement of weapons and sensors". That's an interesting bullet, though not worth the asking price. However, I wonder if this is the reason VRS nor TacPack work within the P3D environment? I would also be really curious as to what complement of weapons and sensors are included in that package, not because I could afford that, but just really curious if there's a potential conflict of interest.

I may just try installing both. I was honestly quite tired of the OOM messages from before, especially after performing a very long flight, but what I really want is the best immersion since it looks like it will be some time before I can ever honestly pursue a PPL. I also have an Occulus Rift arriving with my partial household goods in 2 months, so really want the most immersive environment possible. With so many great add-ons, it really is tough trying to go one way or the other, but love hearing opinions of the crew here and with a dedicated 1TB HDD to flying, I do not foresee running out of HDD space anytime soon.

Thanks for some great advice thus far. I will continue to browse thread and the P3D thread. Thanks again.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Tacpack works in P3D Academic. It's simply not been converted for v4 yet to 64 bit.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    It's a no-brainer mate. P3D V4 for sure.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

I have knocked the walls of FSX for years. OOMs and other problems. FSX is over 10 years old prog. P3D v.4 is future for now.

Blog Entries
    P3Dv4, there's no contest.

Ian

Blog Entries
    You've put a lot of thought and energy into that build. P3Dv4 has so much more built in, and so much potential, it would be a shame not to take full advantage of your new system.
    I could spend a hour detailing the benefits, but I'll just leave it with a two thumbs up for V4.

I develop for 32 bit and 64 bit, and when I go into the 32 bit programs it reminds me how big V4 really is.

My two bits....
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Why not XP11? not stirring but honestly this is something I have been thinking about for a bit, seems developers are starting to do stuff for it and outside of this little part of the world there seems to be a growing fan base.
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Blog Entries
    well, ok..
    For technical flights, nothing beats X-plane. It has hands down the best flight modeling engine going for it.

For environments like scenery, weather etc, you cant find better than P3Dv4. its incredible.

For everything else, theres FSX.

I dont know,, I have all three. Truth told, I hardly touch P3D or X-plane. i dont like P3D's interface. It feels clunky and unfinished to me. I dont want to see a list of aircraft names, i want to see the aircraft when i go to select them. I just think FSX's user interface is much more suited to my wants and needs. I also have a personal thing against WMD's and their manufacturers and Martin Marietta is a subdivision of lockheed. I know, i'm weird. I'd still recommend P3Dv4 for you. It's an excellent platform and will only get better with time.. install reshade for it and a wether injector and your on top of the world..

I waited years to go from FS9 to FSX. I regretted not doing it sooner. I also waited for P3D to go 64 bit. I bit this August with P3Dv4 Academic license and not touched FSX since. A complete game changer.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Blog Entries
    Like Warchild I have all three. Nothing but nothing touches accuracy like X-Plane for aircraft unless you have A2A and PMDG. Scenery is getting is better all the time in X-Plane 11, but hands down P3Dv4 has it over all the others right now. FSX with my Orbx is an old friend with old aircraft I can't fly in the other two sims...just fun flying when I have time or the inclination.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

XP11 is fantastic, as long as you don't need to fly any warbirds or military jets. Because there are almost none at all.
    There's one team that makes a few very nice looking warbirds, but from what I've seen they are very limited on the technical side. Don't expect anything like Accusim or such.

For helicopters or civilian aicrafts though, there is definitely some excellent addons out there. There's even a company that makes Accusim-like extentions for some of the Carenado airplanes, making them realistic ! (Can you imagine that ? A realistic Carenado aircraft? )

But for people like me who appreciate the Accusim warbirds and the military jets, P3Dv3 or P3Dv4 is, for now, unbeatable.
    And NO, I'm not interested in DCS.

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Nothing but nothing touches accuracy like X-Plane for aircraft unless you have A2A and PMDG
    It's a myth that x-planes flight modelling is any better than in FSX.
    In fact in many cases it's simply impossible in x-plane to achieve realistic handling/performance due to the rigid 'fixed' blade element theory.
    In FSX (and multi million dollar real simulators) the lookup tables provide much more flexibility in flight model design.
    A good flight dynamics designer can build very good FDEs in both sims but FSX still has the edge when it comes to precise and specific flight model tuning.
    Crosswind handling in x-plane is still awful and since IMO the lighting engine is better in FSX than in P3D I don't see any reason to switch to P3D.
    Tried it within the trail period and returned it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
    It's a myth that x-planes flight modelling is any better than in FSX.
    In fact in many cases it's simply impossible in x-plane to achieve realistic handling/performance due to the rigid 'fixed' blade element theory.
    In FSX (and multi million dollar real simulators) the lookup tables provide much more flexibility in flight model design.
    A good flight dynamics designer can build very good FDEs in both sims but FSX still has the edge when it comes to precise and specific flight model tuning.
    Crosswind handling in x-plane is still awful and since IMO the lighting engine is better in FSX than in P3D I don't see any reason to switch to P3D.
    Tried it within the trail period and returned it.
    Have to disagree since I was a real-life GA pilot for years and if you check the flight schools you will find X-Plane more than any other flight simulator...yes even over P3D but I predict it won't be long before P3Dv4 becomes the flight school standard. I also build units for the EAA Young Eagles clubs and X-Plane 11 is in demand there as well.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Have to disagree..
    Being a flight model designer for both platforms since many years I can assure you that x-plane isn't any better than FSX concerning the flight models.
    And again, crosswind handling in x-plane still isn't realistic (and simply awful in the heavies). Fine tuning airplane behaviour at the very edge (and beyond) the envelope is also easier in FSX.

Furthermore please note that flightsimulators are generally used as procedure trainers and they don't necessarily need to have leading edge flight dynamics.
    Even the 'real' simulators are sometimes way off in important areas.

Blog Entries
    Being a flight model designer for both platforms since many years I can assure you that x-plane isn't any better than FSX concerning the flight models.
    And again, crosswind handling in x-plane still isn't realistic (and simply awful in the heavies). Fine tuning airplane behaviour at the very edge (and beyond) the envelope is also easier in FSX.

Furthermore please note that flightsimulators are generally used as procedure trainers and they don't necessarily need to have leading edge flight dynamics.
    Youve designed flight models for many years?? Damn but i wish people would credit their engineers.. I've done a few myself:
    all Iris planes from 2006 - 2012
    OzX Grumman Goose Redux
    Classic Wings Sopwith camel
    Classic wings edgley optica
    Lionheats Pasped
    Our own SOH P-61B
    And this little guy below.. X-plane cant do the one below, but neither can FSX. Just ask any or the many who tried to copy me.. Pretty cool huh??

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    I've done a few myself: all Iris planes from 2006 - 2012??
    Apparently they couldn't replace you since IRIS did steal FDEs from other companies and/or used great parts from FDEs from other companies, like in case of the Grob 115.
    Btw, the Christen Eagle was really great!

Blog Entries
    Apparently they couldn't replace you since IRIS did steal FDEs from other companies and/or used great parts from FDEs from other companies, like in case of the Grob 115.
    Btw, the Christen Eagle was really great!
    Indeed it was.. I cant take credit though. I started the fde and then fell ill so it was taken over by my associate who actually proposed the eagle to david.. i do hope you;ll forgive me but i can no longer remember the gentlemans name.. So I dont know where you heard that they stole from other companies.. The grob came after my time though.. I can assure you however that i created every flight model from scratch, with many of them taking up too nine months to build.. No, they werent great. We al start somewhere and learn right?? but i eventually got better.. The reasons for my leaving were simple. I didnt want to program in dcs.. I thought it was folly then and i still think its stupid.. They did replace me though with whom i dont know.. Truth told, The P-61B is the first plane ive developed for both fsx and p3d since before i left iris. I'm happy to say it flies exactly the same in both programs.. Its still in development however so please stay tuned. In the meantime i and my team are working with another member here on building an rf-61 reporter.. that should be getting released around march or april of next year. I've been building the flight model in p3d but it translates directly back to fsx without any problems, though i;ll have my partner go over it in case i miss something..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    So I dont know where you heard that they stole from other companies..
    I compared the FDE from the Grob with the FDE from a different company FDE (for a different plane) and was surprised how many items and even complete section from the airfile they had used.
    I contacted them and IRIS and they told me that this wasn't the first time but they couldn't do anything about it. Didn't hear anything from IRIS....nevertheless I'd love to get my two-seater F-16 back!
    IIRC John Cagle did a nice Sukhoi FDE a long time ago as well.

Blog Entries
    I compared the FDE from the Grob with the FDE from a different company FDE (for a different plane) and was surprised how many items and even complete section from the airfile they had used.
    I contacted them and IRIS and they told me that this wasn't the first time but they couldn't do anything about it. Didn't hear anything from IRIS....nevertheless I'd love to get my two-seater F-16 back!
    IIRC John Cagle did a nice Sukhoi FDE a long time ago as well.
    You and me both, but you see, the f-16 was made by a third party and distributed through Iris. When that third part pulled out, the f-16 went with them.. it was a wonderful plane though..

And John was one of my advisers on the su-37. We have slightly different ways of approaching things, but none the less, he was an invaluable help and a good teacher..

Blog Entries

Sorry my friend, your explanation does not cover enough detail to over-ride what I know to be fact. I do agree that tuning airplane behavior is easier in FSX with the FDE and it is powerful but A2A and other developers have proven that more more programming is required to take in various factors of just the prop itself. Other considerations are significant such as inflow factors, axial and angular flow conservation of momentum. In short what blade element theory takes in to consideration is exactly how the model flies in a wind tunnel-which would be more accurate. I also admit that many things in a simulator just absolutely cannot substitute for real airflow considerations in real life because no to days are alike when it comes to air factors on the prop, the engine/fuel mixture intake and other handling peculiarities. I suggest reading this since you are a design engineer: http://www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/web/lib...ler/prop1.html
    Ted

Computer Programming diploma may soon be needed ......

P3DV4.1 is a very nice sim and I was anxious to update to it.........until I started looking at installing add-ons, specifically aircraft.
    It seems there are as many ways to install aircraft into P3DV4 as users, and each method reads like a novel.
    Whatever happened to copy and paste the aircraft folder into the simobjects folder and fly ?

I am sure there must be somewhere a post with clear, concise, step by step instructions on how to correctly install aircraft into P3D....
    ..........I just haven't found it yet, ....... and until I do, I'm sticking with FSX, as I have lots of addons I risk losing through improper installs.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Members who have read this thread: 0