FSX and Virtual Reality? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FSX and Virtual Reality?

My two cents here...

Flying in VR is amazing - but there are a number of issues mostly headset resolution and cockpit interaction.
    It is true that current headsets have a quite low resolution: it is OK for larger analog gauges, but it is not good enough for digital displays and small gauges.
    New, 4K headsets are in the works - true... but do not expect they will be super-smooth on high graphic settings even on a very powerful computer.

That being said, at least for VFR flying, VR is indeed AMAZING - the closest thing to actual flying you can get without leaving your home - it closely reminded me of the sensations I felt in my PPL days.

I'd reccomend AT LEAST a GTX1060.

Last, for the record, the best VR experience I have had so far is flying with Aerofly FS2 - it is a barebone flight sim, yes - but using it with Orbx Innsbruck was nothing short of stunning.

One thing I'd add to those of you contemplating buying a VR headset is to try-before-you-buy (preferably in your chosen sim), if possible. If you're at all prone to motion sickness you'll probably get it in VR, even with a powerful system (and particularly if manoeuvring regularly). Also, there are plenty of VR users who complain of getting headaches after using the headsets for a while. I tried both the Vive and the Rift and had both of these problems. Most people say that you get used to it if you persevere long enough but that's not my idea of enjoyment. I think that if the resolution hadn't been so low (in my opinion) I might have been tempted to try to stick it out. However, that was just a compromise too far for me.

I agree with Dino that you should consider a 1060 as the minimum standard for using VR. If you want to see if your system's likely to cope with VR (but not necessarily in FSX, which tends to be more demanding) then try the SteamVR Performance Test: http://store.steampowered.com/app/32...formance_Test/.

I have thought about a desktop, but a lot of the ones I see for sale on Best Buy don't even seem to come with a monitor. Plus I really like the portability of a laptop

Computers with GeForce 1060 or 1070 are still quite expensive nowadays.
    I would also be very careful about laptops, because sometimes their components are less powerful than their desktop counterparts. And more expensive as well.
    In the end I still recommend you to keep your money for now. Start saving it to buy a powerful computer (laptop or not) and a nice helmet from the next generation once they become available, with good reviews/tests about them.
    Spending 1x00$ on that computer, and 400 other dollars for an Occulus Rift right now... Sorry I cannot recommend this.

EDIT: sorry, I have deleted my previous answer because it was not precise enough.

In the mean time, what about TrackIR?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJZ View Post
    In the mean time, what about TrackIR?
    TrackIR makes a huge difference to FSX. However, it's expensive for what it is and is quite sensitive to the lighting conditions in your room. I use OpenTrack with a homemade LED source clip and, having compared it directly to TrackIR I'd say there was no difference in performance. See: https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases. The OpenTrack software is free and, if you're OK with soldering, the LED clip is very inexpensive to make and there are detailed guides available online. If you want to buy everything you need, there are two companies (Delan Engineering and Trackhat) that can provide a complete bundle - LED clip/hat, webcam and links to the software. The best thing is that it's less than half the cost of TrackIR (less than a quarter if you make it yourself).

So what advantage does VR offer over TrackIR? Is it just the freer head movements? Or something more?
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Apples and oranges. TrackIR is a controller for a 2D screen. VR makes the image three-dimensional, and the view in front of your eyes changes as it would if you turned your head in a real plane.

TrackIR changes your monitor view. VR puts you inside the airplane.

There is a VR Aviators group on facebook that was "created for those who enjoy the thrill of flying PC based flight simulators in virtual reality."
    It was very interesting and informative to read the posts around Christmas time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VRAviators/

Members who have read this thread: 0