Carenado WIP: Beech D18 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carenado WIP: Beech D18

Twin Beech is just a remarkable airplane. That bare metal scheme Carenado is showing is a real "Looker!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I'll be buying this Carenado model in a heartbeat/just as soon as it is released. A great, great choice of aircraft.
    That's two of us JT!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by William Njurmi View Post
    With glass cockpit? :-(
    Yes there is glass in the cockpit...

on the steamgauges...

Marcel

Hey guys,

sorry for hijacking this thread but I was just wondering: what makes repainting of carenado aircraft so difficult? I didn't do much repainting before - other than my own aircraft - so I really don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Vitus View Post
    Hey guys,

sorry for hijacking this thread but I was just wondering: what makes repainting of carenado aircraft so difficult? I didn't do much repainting before - other than my own aircraft - so I really don't know...
    It has to do with the way Alabeo/Carenado breaks apart the aircraft for texturing. They make really great use of a limited number of texture files, but it also makes repainting their aircraft a chore.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

ooh I understand. So when there is a box the six sides are split up and end up at seemingly random locations on the texture map?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitus View Post
    ooh I understand. So when there is a box the six sides are split up and end up at seemingly random locations on the texture map?
    That's pretty much the case with their HD textures.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

looking forward to a new D18
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    That's pretty much the case with their HD textures.
    And they break up the sides, rotate them randomly, and then spread them randomly....
    but I'll still buy this one instantly and will try my best to paint it..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Icon14

Carenado has posted some more pictures on their Facebook page:

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

This beauty is most definitely a keeper for me. A first rate VC is what I've been waiting for. Card at the ready. Hope it comes out soon. In fact, as luck would have it, a Beech D18 flew over my house yesterday.

Wow look at that view from the VC !
    Superb modelling, as expected from Carebeo.

Ooooh! Perhaps they're doing the red livery I posted!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Ooooh! Perhaps they're doing the red livery I posted!
    Yes, they do! And it looks excellent

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

IT'S OUT NOW

Just got mine, and took a short flight. Beautiful, just beautiful.

I think they might have a few left if your hurry.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    IT'S OUT NOW

Just got mine, and took a short flight. Beautiful, just beautiful.

I think they might have a few left if your hurry.

That RED, OMG! I got the last one!

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

It handles really well and has a great sound.
    5 stars.
    Very expensive though for anyone living in
    Australia...Almost $50 Aud.

Poor sound and flight model

An absolutely beautiful aircraft, but (with apologies to Anthin) to me it sounds awful and flies nothing like a real Model 18.

Worse, it has lots and lots of silly problems. Carenado says they'll fix them "soon," but....

See https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...-flight-model/

I've temporarily added Milton's wonderful sounds and fiddled with the AIR and CFG files so it is flyable, but unless your willing to do that I'd stay away until they release an update.

But, dang, it's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by tailspin45 View Post
    ... flies nothing like a real Model 18.
    Oh my. It's already bad enough that you are flooding another forum with your super-negativity and your apparently faulty installation and/or faulty joystick setup.

You might not believe it, but there are real pilots who are actually enjoying the Carenado D18 in its present form!

Btw, posting unauthorized FDE 'modifications' is an absolute no-go and comparing a FDE to a repaint shows how little you know about FDE design.

FYI, rest assured, the FDE will not be changed, or at least not significantly, in any future patch.

@Anthin, don't let tailspin45 spoil your fun with the D18. His 'bug' reports concerning the FDE are at least questionable.

Full disclaimer: I have NO experience in a Beech D18S and no real world reference for my comments.

Just for grins, I compared the aircraft.cfg files from Milton's FSX port available for download here at SOH and the aircraft config from the Carenado model. Some specific differences:

-the differences between the 2 cfg files regards empty weight, flight tuning, etc are really small in general. However.....
    -Milton's is fully loaded with passenger weight and the Carenado has only a pilot (no copilot) in the station weights. this should make Milton's "heavier" in takeoff and increase the stall speed.
    -the MOIs on the Carenado are significantly larger than Milton's. I suspect Milton has used a specific MOI calc model and Carenado has generalized numbers. this should make the Carenado more sluggish in roll and pitch.

i have not (and will not) look at the .air files.

be back in a minute with my popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    1.I suspect Milton has used a specific MOI calc model and Carenado has generalized numbers.

2.this should make the Carenado more sluggish in roll and pitch.

3.i have not (and will not) look at the .air files.
    1. Wrong assumption and I don't know how you want to 'generalize' MOI values. Furthermore MOI numbers have very little to do with sluggishness etc.
    2. It's exactly the opposite. The Carenado D18 has very high roll rate at high speed (70deg/sec)….that's the same value like the real D18..
    3. Without looking at the airfile, the core, you can't even remotely judge a FDE.

state your expertise and experience. otherwise you are a poser.

PS are you afraid to post at Avsim?

The Carenado D18 has very high roll rate at high speed (70deg/sec)….that's the same value like the real D18..
    You can check your assertion about roll rate by watching Matt Younkin's performance. With full throw on the yoke, doing about 200 mph, it takes a fraction over 8 seconds for him to complete a 360-degree roll. At your 70 deg/sec rate he would have been able to complete 560º, more than a roll and half. And keep in mind he's flying a very light aircraft with minimum fuel.

BTW, I love the way the aircraft looks and have flown it over 10 hours in the last three days. I'm simply reporting the problems I've discovered so others won't be befuddled by problems or think it somehow represents how the real aircraft flies.

I do think Carenado should be embarrassed for releasing an aircraft in such poor shape, however. If it was billed as pre-release I'd have no gripe, and would be happy to help as I have other developers.

Members who have read this thread: 1