Junkers Ju-52/3m - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Junkers Ju-52/3m

Hello Smilo,
    Thanks! I think so too. Anyway, the way I did it this time gave a better
    envelope
    than I was getting before.

Just for the sake of curiosity to illustrate it, hereīs a compound screenshot
    of the propeller graph Table 512 and the Torque graph for the 725 Hp engine.

The difference with the other two more powerful engines is a slightly narrower
    "hump", and of course that the right column goes up to 775 and 830 Hp
    respectively, in the torque graph and a less pronounced "step" in the propeller
    graph.

Note that the "downward hook" on the right is not of the type sometimes used
    for curbing power after max. RPM. Some time ago Ivan had recommended not
    using it,
    to allow for a more correctly defined engine power.

If I had had an extra column on the right, after the Max. Power RPM setting, I
    would have liked the graph to go on horizontally, but it does that anyway, I suppose.

Eliminating the "hump" and the "step" causes abnormally low cruise powers at
    correct maximum power, or conversely, abormally high maximum power at
    more correct cruise powers.

So, perhaps itīs as good as it gets, as Jack Nicholson would say...
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Hello Aleatorylamp,

The CFS engine dynamics are not perfect. Just do what you can as well as you can.
    I am never satisfied with my own flight models, but realise that at some point, I don't know how to make any more improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleatorylamp
    Later, the French did the same with their Turbomeca Bastan VIC turboprop turbines, with similar results, although here there was no methanol, just water. They were actually quite successful, and used them on the Nord 262 commuter/navy patrol aircraft for quite some time.
    Eeeek, a Jet!!!

Regarding water injection on a Turboprop:
    I believe this is the same idea as on a regular jet engine and has nothing to do with piston engines.
    The idea is to use the combustion heat to superheat water into steam for increased exhaust thrust.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleatorylamp
    What happens with water-methanol injection? I think the engine rusts! ...If used at speeds above cruising, I suppose it would possibly interfere with lubrication and maybe quickly ruin the engine.

Itīs not such a stupid idea at all, actually, but do correct me if Iīm wrong!

The impression I got was that interestingly enough, methanol performance increase came with the penalty of greater heat, so they injected water to cool that, also obtaining the added thrust of the steam generated. The drawback of all this was I believe greater corrosion resulting in reduced engine life-span, but for military purposes it wasnīt important.
    Now keep in mind that I am certainly no expert in this field.... but I do not believe you are entirely correct.
    Gasoline as you know is a Hydrocarbon. There are many impurities, but the important molecules are composed of Hydrogen and Carbon. The byproducts of combustion (oxidation) are H2O and CO2. Thus there already is water vapor in the cylinder as a result of combustion.
    The addition of water into the intake system is intended to reduce the combustion temperature and prevent pre-detonation so that higher boost / cylinder pressures can be tolerated without damage to the engine. The higher pressures and stress by themselves will have some effect and I believe this is the cause of increases in engine wear.
    The methanol is just an additive to the ADI mixture to prevent it from freezing when the temperature gets too low.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Thanks for your comment on doing what one can to best get sim engine performance as near as possible to specs!

Re. Water-Methanol: Interesting, and unexpected, what you mention, thanks a lot!
    Iīd expected that the superheated steam effect that adds thrust to jet turbines (and I know that it does, and it makes them rust more), would also apply in piston engines, as a logical deduction.

However, it was just an impression on my part, and I didnīt know that methanol was only an anti-freeze.

But then, if water and water+methanol is defined as WEP in the sim, donīt these give any added thrust?

From what you say, it appears not to be the case, and in reality the extra power comes only from a higher amount of fuel being burned, with water and water+methanol addition only acting as a retardant and a direct coolant, to counteract the increased heat of the extra fuel.

Wikipedia explains all you are saying in great detail, and makes for a very interesting read!

Then, the difference in the effect between using water and using water+methanol for added power seems to be that although being combustible, methanol has a retarded ignition point and thus helps prevent detonation. Both also seem to allow for higher compression ratios.

Maybe thatīs why the allowerd WEP time in the sim is longer for water injection only, than for methanol-water, which is only 5 minutes.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Aleatorylamp,

The WEP in the CFS is gross oversimplification of how things really work.

Even in the case of US aircraft in which only "Water Injection" is available, the reality is that they used methanol as an additive as well.
    I believe the limit was "5 minutes" but those quote are because that limit was often stated as 5 minutes but sometimes it was not.
    It depended a bit on the engine and some were more tolerant than others.
    Note that the REAL limitation was that the engines would typically be generating more heat than they could dissipate and the Cylinder Head Temperatures would be in a range that could only be tolerated for a few minutes without damage.

Note that I mentioned specifically CHT which implies radials.
    One of the reasons that Inlines could run for a bit longer by simply raising boost without Anti Detonant Injection (ADI) is because there was more mass to "heat soak": More mass in the cooling system, engine mass, etc. needed to have its temperature raised before bad things started happening.

The Water Methanol injection I believe was intended to represent the German systems used on the FW 190A series. It is a pity that the FW 190A in the game doesn't actually have that feature. Sometimes the limit was 10 minutes and sometimes it was not.
    Sometimes the emergency power wasn't even MW50 injection at all.

Life gets really interesting when looking at the Japanese engines because their fuel was so poor (91 or 92 octane) that ADI was required for some engines as soon as their throttle settings went above continuous cruise settings. Thus climb, normal, military and emergency power just differed in allowed duration. All required ADI.

The 5 minute Supercharger WEP is also not realistic. At low level, it MIGHT be pretty close, but above the critical altitude, the engine even with WEP would be using less boost than it would be at sea level and at some altitudes above that, the engine even with WEP engaged would not be using as much boost as it would under continuous power settings at sea level..... And yet the engine would still blow up after 5 minutes 10 seconds.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Very interesting information, that you supply, and I appreciate your efforts explaining so many details!

I had always wondered why the VW Beetle air-cooled engine with 1200-1600 cc had such a low compression ratio that it only produced 30-50 Hp. So it was to prevent over-heating!

Regarding the simīs aircraft engines, I suppose that it must have been quite complicated for those who wrote the sim, to cater for so many different kinds of engines within the comparatively few choices offered in the .air file.

Perhaps, given the lower performance of the Pentium I computers in those days, the .air file would have been too demanding on the CPU if further complication had been introduced.

Anyway, after all the feedback and support Iīve been getting from you and Smilo, I think that within CFS1 limits, the different Auntie Ju models have come out quite nicely, and are performing very satisfactorily!

Iīm just finishing the Checklists and then Iīll start upload them, the unarmed transport/paratrooper versions first.

I also have to see about the still inaccurate bombing system that the "improved" bomb sight provided, after they had eliminated the g3eīs retractable under-fuselage "stew-pot".

That bomb aimerīs position between the wheels, f
    rom what Iīve read, despite a clear view, had a bomb sight that was no good at all for precision bombing, even from the prescribed 500 meters.

To include the "improved" sight in the model, Iīll see if I can modify the B-17īs bomberīs sight and see if that will work at 500 meters with cruising speed.

Another thing they did, was just shove thousands of incendiary bomb-sticks out of the cargo-doors!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Spanish and German Transport versions uploaded.

Hello Folks,
    Here are the first two, which will be available at the following links as soon as they are authorized in the Warbirds library:

Ju52/3m g5e unarmed transport/paratrooper aircraft:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=23401

Spanish CASA352-L transport/paratrooper
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=23400

I hope you all enjoy the models!
    Any constructive criticism will as usual be welcome!

As soon as Iīve figured out a bomb sight for the armed versions these will be uploaded as well.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CASA352-L.jpg.jpg   g5e-transport.jpg  

CFS1 Spanish Air Force CASA-352L (Ju-52/3m).zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 1 Aircraft Add-Ons

Description: Spanish license-built Junkers Ju-52/3m, built as passenger aircraft, military trainer, logistics, paratrooper and troop transport. A total of 170 CASA352 units were built from 1942 to 1954, the "L" version having the more powerful 775 hp ENMA (Elizalde) Beta B-4 engines and a top speed of 183 mph at sea level.

The last unit was in service until 1974, and another unit was employed by the paratroopers' school in Alcantarilla until the late 70s. Unit 36-8 served with the 36th Wing at Gando Air Base on the Canary Islands, Spain.

Several CASA 352 and 352-L units are on display in very good condition in museums in different countries, and quite a few still fly today. Virtual and Transparent cockpit elements added using SCASM. Includes custom panel with modified engine gauges, RPM and Boost gauges programmed by Ivan.

By Stephan Scholz

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS1 Spanish Air Force CASA-352L (Ju-52/3m).zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

CFS1 Ju-52/3m g5e logistics and paratrooper transport.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 1 Aircraft Add-Ons

Description: The Ju-52/3m was originally designed as a passenger and cargo aircraft, and extensively used around the world by airlines of many different countries. With the outbreak of WW2, the design was militarized into different versions, including auxiliary bomber, logistics, paratrooper and troop transport, ambulance and even minesweeper.

This unarmed g5e transport version had 3 x 830 Hp engines, a top speed of 183 mph at S.L., and capacity for a maximum of 13 paratroopers or 18 air-transported troops. The livery corresponds to a unit that saw service during the invasion of Crete in 1942.

Several Ju-52/3ms are at present on display in very good condition in museums in different countries, and quite a few still fly today. Virtual and Transparent cockpit elements added using SCASM. Custom panel with customized engine gauges included, RPM and Boost Gauges programmed by Ivan.

By Stephan Scholz

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS1 Ju-52/3m g5e logistics and paratrooper transport.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

SOH Staff
    got 'em, thanks
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

I don't know if your conclusion about compression ratio and heat output in the VW engine are reasonable. I suspect that they are not.

I believe the biggest issue with the older computers was not the complexity of the AIR file.
    I believe the problem was lack of video rendering speed.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Water-cooled car engines of the time, with similar cylinder displacement, had higher compression ratio, developing twice the power with the same fuel consumption. The VW engine couldnīt resist the temperatures and pressures involved and would have blown its cylinder heads. I was under the impression that the reasoning behind it followed your line of argument as regards heat dissipation and the engine mass (not the methanol-water injection aspect, of course), quite apart from the weaker and cheaper materials used compared to radial aircraft engines, but then, Iīm not a mechanical engineer, so I wonīt insist.

As regards the reason for the simīs shortcomings as regards the simplification of the only few different types of supercharging offered, I was actually just trying to be diplomatic and not blame it on the programmers, although they maybe couldnīt do any better as they werenīt aircraft-engine engineers, and although they must have had some advisors in this field, they perhaps couldnīt apply all the details because they possibly a) didnīt understand them completely, or b) thought it wasnīt necessary and just didnīt want to so many in, so as not to complicate their lives). Thus, we get an approximation of what it should be, and must make do with it! Such is life... Anyway, this is only my impression, as I am neither a programmer nor a computer engineer, so I wonīt insist on this either.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; February 19th, 2018 at 02:14.

CFS1 bomb dropping - Visual display problems.

Hello Smilo, hello Ivan,
    Iīm working on the bomb-aimerīs panel and its workings, but Iīm
    having some on-and-off problems with the CFS1 bombing feature:

Sometimes the graphic bomb-dropping-and-exploding visual display
    from the outside view works, and sometimes it doesnīt - you just
    hear their release.

The bombs are defined in the Dp files, and show up as loaded at the
    start in the aircraft choice window together with ammo and fuel, and
    after being released they always disappear as expected from this load
    menu, even
    though they are often invisible during a flight.
    Perhaps itīs a bug in the graphics card.

It happens both in Freeflight mode and in Quick Combat, and Iīve been
    trying to figure out what it depends on, to no avail, so I was wondering
    if you could perhaps suggest something.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

SOH Staff
    i have a busy day today,
    but, will have a look as soon as i can.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Aleatorylamp, Smilo,

I believe the issue with bombs displaying probably has something to do with the model format that is generated by AF99.
    The loads do not show up visually and landing gear and propellers do not display properly in AI aircraft nor in multiplayer.

Regarding air cooled automotive engines, there are other examples such as some of the early Porsche 911's and Chevrolet Corvairs that are not exactly low powered. The turbo Corvair actually made pretty good power though I don't really consider any version of the Corvair to be a particularly good car.
    By the way, I am not saying your conclusion about the VW is incorrect. I don't know much about the VW.... Though I was actually thinking about building one to drive around in CFS.

By the way, it is a little late, but yesterday I found some very good dimensional drawing for the Tante Ju.

- Ivan.

SOH Staff
    duh...it just dawned on me...
    maybe, it would be a good idea
    for you to send me the latest bomber version beta,
    including, dp, air and aircraft cfg files.
    sometimes it doesn't.

New WIP: Ju52 + Guns + Bombs

Hello Smilo,

Hereīs the latest Ju52 "Gunship" WIP.
    Thanks for your offer to help with the bombs!

The Bomb Aimerīs panel is still in the adjustment stage:
    I was more or less getting the scale on the panel for map view correctly
    placed for 500 metres = 1600 ft at cruise speeds between 140 and 160 mph
    but could only do so intermittently because the sim kept making the
    explosions invisible. Then, I havenīt adjusted the 1000 metre (3200 ft) scale yet.

Also, machine-gun option No. 1 defined by the Dp files leaves machine-guns (key 1)
    inaudible in my sim, so Iīve got all guns are defined as cannon, option No. 2 in the
    Dp files, (Key 2), so at least I can hear them. With a bit of luck you can discover a
    possible mistake on my part.

The .air file is the new one, and F10 gives you full WEP power for 5 minutes:
    830 Hp at Sea Level with 184 mph at 2300 RPM.

Without WEP you get 658 Hp, 171.4 mph and 2133 RPM, which isnīt bad either,
    and itīll take-off too!
    Itīs actually the max. power of the earlier g3e auxiliary bomber that was used in
    the Spanish Civil War - which I havenīt built.

Anyway, it would be great if you can check the guns and the bombs -
    I appreciate it very much!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ju52-g5e.jpg  

Air-cooled performance engine

Hello Ivan,
    I remember the 911 Porsche from 1969!
    A completely different kettle of fish from the Peopleīs Car:
    2200 cc, 180 Hp at 6500 RPM, normally aspirated, air cooled - wonderful!
    With the price that thing cost, they used better materials than on the ordinary beetle.

I made an airport pick-up truck for FS98 I could send you. Udo Entenmann did the .air file
    for it and managed to put in a kind of suspension effect, which was quite spectacular.
    Iīve got the AF99 project files, and Iīm trying to find the model with the .air file.

If I find it I could attach it to a post if you are interested. You could go careening around
    a runway and through a city or around a scenery!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

SOH Staff
    preliminary dp report;
    at first, i was unable to get the "gunship"
    guns or bombs to function in freeflight,
    or the quick combat modes.
    long story short, i took up the raf662 lancaster,
    and tested it in all flight modes.
    yes, guns and bombs do function.
    instead of bothering with the ju52 dp file,
    i renamed the lanc dp and replaced the ju52 dp.
    the gunship now has tg2 aft firing guns and dropping bombs,
    complete with impact explosions and craters.

more later
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Smilo,
    So it was the Dp files that werenīt functioning properly!
    Thatīs also why only the Cannon were working, not the MGīs.

How strange, thanks a lot! It wouldnīt have occurred to me!
    It just goes to show, two minds work much better than one!

Iīll take it from there. Iīll wait for the rest of your "more later"
    report, and then Iīll download the Lancaster and use those Dp files,
    adapting the boxes and bombload,
    and adding 2 lateral firing guns
    to see if I can get those to work with TG2.

The Dp files for the two already uploaded unarmed paratroopers
    versions
    are derived from the same ones, but without machineguns,
    and with
    paratroopers defined as bombs. So, if these and their explosions
    are
    mostly invisible, it is just as well, as it avoids exploding paratroopers!
    How nice!

Update: The Dp files I used came from a previous model, which could have
    originated from Dp files someone made for one of my models 14 years ago.
    Maybe this version is incomplete and/or antiquated, and probably, a more
    reliable method would be to use the default Dp Files that come with CFS1,
    and complete those with the functions desired for a given model with Dp Edit.

Thanks again.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; February 20th, 2018 at 08:19.

SOH Staff
    "quick" note;
    i'm not sure if the raf662 lancaster is still available.
    but, any bomber dp that works in cfs will do.

important! make sure you delete the old cdp file
    whenever you make a change to the dp.
    apparently, the sim calls the cdp instead of the dp
    unless it isn't in the individual aircraft folder.
    the cdp will be rewritten after each flight.

on second thought, here is the renamed lanc dp file.
    when you open the attached dp file with notepad,
    there is a little gift at the top.
    cut and paste it to the bottom of the COMBATFS.CFG
    minus the ///s, of course.
    then, in game, when you release a bomb, look down.
    and see what happens.
    to disable it edit the combatfs.cfg entry to ...trainer=0 instead of =1

i hope this helps.
    i'm off
    Attached Files Attached Files
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Smilo,
    Thanks for your support and your reminders.

Iīve just tried out the Ju52 bomber version with CFS1 default Dp files,
    and they work perfectly, so itīs evidently not my computer or the
    graphics card which is at fault.

Thanks for the files youīve just posted. (Yes, I couldnīt find the Lancaster...)
    Iīll look into them report back later. Most probably they will be easier to work
    with than to have to adapt whole new Dp Files using the default CFS1 ones.

Very nice!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

SOH Staff
    glad to hear the default dp worked.
    i didn't think of that.
    i'm not sure if the lanc dp would be easier to work with.
    either way, the boxes will have to be adjusted.
    i'll leave that to you.

if one was curious enough,
    one could open the original nonfunctional ju52 bomber dp
    and the lanc or default dp side by side and compare.
    find the difference, find the problem.
    more or less
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Smilo,
    Using Dped, I did find some differences between the
    default.Dp files, the old ones I was using, and the Lanc
    ones you sent, but none that could indicate any on-and-off
    sporadic or momentary failures in the visual display of bombs
    and explosions.

Apart from the obvious ones regarding gun positions, offsets
    and angles in the Guns Box, the String List Window has some
    different items
    , but I havenīt found a way of editing that, i.e.
    changing names or adding things.

For example, the Lanc has
    a Chin Gun that the default.Dp doesnīt
    have, and none have
    a Nose or Cockpit Gun.

Then, the old ones and the default.Dp ones have Bomb and
    Bomb Release options, whereas the Lanc ones and have
    Bomb Bay and Bomb Release, but that shouldnīt be a problem,
    I suppose. Iīm still investigating, though!

Update:
    Iīve just discovered that the Dp file is a text file
    and
    can be edited with NotePad, so I re-named the Chin Gun
    to Cockpit Gun. But from there to seeing why the other Dp file
    sometimes causes
    visual errors is another matter!

At the moment Iīm fine-fitting the line-scale on the bomb-aimer
    panel. With the altitude being lower than normal, and the speed
    being slower, the lines are closer together, but I think itīll work.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; February 21st, 2018 at 01:35.

SOH Staff
    to be honest, i don't recall ever messing with dp files.
    i was more into flying and left the editing to others.
    wish i could be more help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i was going to suggest renaming
    the gun positions with notepad,
    but, thought better of it.
    funny, i just saw your update.
    sometimes it doesn't.

A bit of fun on the side...

Hello Smilo,
    Thanks! I further used the Notepad, as you suggested,
    and I think Iīve seen an incongruency further down the list,
    where the first number in a line referring to the bombs doesnīt
    coincide with the correct number in the String List. It is linked
    to the fuselage structure instead of the bomb release.

Update -Correction: I corrected the glitch, but it has no effect.
    On the uploaded unarmed Ju52 versions, there is no visible change:
    You can define the paratrooper load, you can release them in flight,
    they are discounted from the payload - and they also remain invisible!
    Thus, it wonīt be necessary to fix anything. T
    he fact that you donīt
    get to see the bombs or the explosions is actually quite convenient!

Another thing, although itīs completely off topic...
    but opening a thread for this is totally pointless:

Hello Ivan,
    You had mentioned wanting to build a VW car to drive around in,
    and Iīd mentioned I had built a fun Pickup Truck with a fantastic
    suspension by Udo Entenman.

I finally found the model, in an old computer, which I had to fix
    before getting the file onto a USB stick! So now I not only have
    the source files, but also the model itself.
    Itīs quite interesting, fun and tricky to drive! It will bounce around
    and overturn if you turn into a bend with excessive speed.
    The gearbox is automatic, obviously.

Here it is, as an attachment in case you want to have some fun, or Smilo!
    --- quite off topic, but oh, well....
    ...moreover, I doubt it would be serious enough to warrant an upload in the library...

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pickup1.jpg   Pickup-2.jpg   Pickup3.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; February 21st, 2018 at 11:56.

Members who have read this thread: 0