Wishing... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wishing...

It may seem funny, but I've always wanted a quality Buchon in FS2004/FSX as well. Perhaps simply for the fact that for a while they were/have been the most flown/active example of the Bf-109 family.

The Messerschmitt Foundation/Museum (EADS/Airbus Group sponsored) in Germany, which Bjoern posted photos from, owns three Bf-109G's, all of which were converted from Buchons with DB 605 powerplants - these being the "Bf-109G-4" D-FWME, the "Bf-109G-6" D-FMBB, and the "Bf-109G-10" D-FDME (as seen in Bjoern's first photo). Unfortunately none of them are currently flying, since they are all down for repairs and/or major servicing at this time. The last time D-FMBB flew was way back in 2007 (if I recall correctly, it suffered a ground loop that year) and has been reported to be undergoing restoration/extensive overhaul ever since. The last time D-FDME flew was way back in 2008, when it suffered a ground loop - the aircraft has been repaired and repainted, but last I've heard work is still being done on the engine. D-FWME, perhaps one of the unluckiest aircraft, was involved in a takeoff accident last year and has been undergoing airframe repairs, engine overhaul, etc. (this marked the fourth accident this aircraft has been involved in since just 2005, requiring airframe repairs/restoration/engine repairs/new props, etc., each time).

There is a converted Buchon that has been actively flying in Germany over the past couple years, owned by the Air Fighter Academy/Hangar10, registered D-FMGZ, which was converted as a Bf-109G-12 (two-seater). The aircraft was rebuilt with the ability to swap in/out the QEC section (everything firewall-forward), so within a reasonable amount of time, the aircraft can be fitted and flown with either a DB 605 engine with original cowls, or the Merlin engine with Buchon cowls. The Air Fighter Academy/Hangar10 also owns a registered and airworthy Bf-109G-6 (all new build, based on original identity), fitted with a DB 605. Although it has been test run and taxied on a number of occasions, it has yet to be flown. Within the past year, the Air Fighter Academy/Hangar10 also purchased the stock Buchon G-AWHE, which had previously been very active in England (based at Duxford and Humberside, and painted in tan desert markings). I believe the rumor I heard was that this aircraft will get a DB 605 engine and Bf-109G cowls - but perhaps receive the same type of firewall-area modifications as D-FMGZ, so that a DB 605 or Merlin QEC could be installed/swapped on the aircraft at any given time, depending on what the owner desires.

Also in Germany, the restored/airworthy Bf-109E WkNr.1984 had its first engine runs/taxi tests this past summer. I'm not sure if it has flown yet. This one I believe is the third and final Bf-109E that was restored by Craig Charleston (all but the wings, which were rebuilt by another company), and is regarded as perhaps the finest.

In England, the Buchon G-AWHK, operated in conjunction with Historic Flying Ltd. and ARCo, based at Duxford, is flown often and routinely each year. The Bf-109E G-CIPB, in the care of the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar (for a different owner), finally had its first test flight (since 2010) earlier this year, but they are still working out some squawks. Also in England, Air Leasing is very close to flight-testing the two-seat Buchon G-AWHC (it will be the first to fly of the Buchons sold by Connie Edwards a couple years ago).

In the US, the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum's Bf-109E (N342FH) flies several times each year. The Military Aviation Museum, based in Virginia Beach, owns/operates a converted Buchon powered by a DB 605, registered under the identity of an original Bf-109G-4 (N109GY). The Erickson Aircraft Collection owns/operates an Allison-powered Buchon (N90602), that was converted to look, outwardly (and in the cockpit), as only that of a stock Bf-109G-10, and it really pulls it off - they did such a superb job with it, and it is such an innovative accomplishment, that it is perhaps my favorite of all of the "109's" flying today.

Many more than this - Buchons and genuine original Bf-109's - are under restoration to fly, in both Europe and the US.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Interesting about the Buchon. Ronnie was working on one over at Military-Meshes on a Buchon nose for a 3d printer.

This kit will allow conversion of a 1/32 Hasegawa Messerschmitt Bf 109 G kit into an accurate Buchon.

http://www.military-meshes.com/forum...ion-kit-design

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Also in England, Air Leasing is very close to flight-testing the two-seat Buchon G-AWHC (it will be the first to fly of the Buchons sold by Connie Edwards a couple years ago).
    She's alive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24131172_933301053503017_3602082226174690864_n.jpg  

SOH-CM-2024
    Greetings to all...
    Tell you what though... as much as I don't really care for the look of the Buchon, I really don't mind its immediate predecessor, the HA-1112 K1L 'Tripala', which got the Hispano engine. To me, it's a better fit to the Bf-109's airframe...

I guess this variant starred in a movie called Der Stern von Afrika about Hans-Joachim Marseille...

-Mike Z.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24_5.jpg   HA-1112-K1L-Gelbe14-Der-Stern-von-Afrika-.jpg   HA1112K-1L_C.4J-10.JPG  

I've always considered the 'E' model to be the best looking of the Bf109 range.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pips View Post
    I've always considered the 'E' model to be the best looking of the Bf109 range.
    Oh yes, a state of the art 109e would be an immediate buy for me.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by fishbed View Post
    she's alive
    My eyes! My eyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Members who have read this thread: 0