Piglets Skyraider

Thread: Piglets Skyraider

Piglets Skyraider

I love the plane, but it won't let me do a decent trap on a carrier. I remember there were alternative settings for tailhook and launch, but I lost these after I had to do a reinstall.
    Can anyone point me to where I can find these?

Cees

This is what I have on Piglet's Skyraider. Came from SOH Forum discussions a while ago, June 2012.

[tailhook]
    tailhook_length = 6.0
    tailhook_position = -25.000, 0.000, -0.500
    cable_force_adjust = 6.0

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 4.41,0.00,-3.5
    launch_bar_lug = 10.6, 0.0, -9.50

[LSO]
    LSOAdjustSpeed=0.7

Thank you! I'll try these settings!

Cees

Edit: Works great! Thanks!

+ good news for Skyrider fans:

Milviz works on it.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

SOH-CM-2023
    YoYo:

Glad to hear that the SPAD is coming down the pipe. Piglet's version was very good but it is way past time for an update for the old girl.

Can you tell us if FSX is to be included ?? Thanks.

The A-1H and A-1J were two of the earliest aircraft I chased after on the net years ago after installing FSX for the first time. From memory I became a huge fan of Tim Conrad after getting his J-21 off a PC Pilot CD. I remember chasing down the Skyraiders after coming across a 3rd party (freeware) mission that required them. It was a cool little mission too. I think you had to take off from a carrier then fly to a downed pilot onshore, then circle and protect him from the approaching enemy. Great memories.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

That is good news! The Skyraider is my favorite aircraft :-) I hope they do the AD-5/A-1E as well!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    I remember chasing down the Skyraiders after coming across a 3rd party (freeware) mission that required them. It was a cool little mission too. I think you had to take off from a carrier then fly to a downed pilot onshore, then circle and protect him from the approaching enemy. Great memories.
    Really excellent mission - "Bridge Tufa" - and still can be found at the warbirds library / FSX Missions.

Quote Originally Posted by xpelekis View Post
    Really excellent mission - "Bridge Tufa" - and still can be found at the warbirds library / FSX Missions.

That's the one. Thanks Xplekis. I was going to start searching through my old DVDs full of addons looking for it, and I couldn't even remember the name. Now I don't have to (although I still might).

Cheers.

Scott
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Tufa Bridge Mission commands

All the talk about Piglet's Skyraider got me wanting to see what the excitement was all about. After resolving fsx crashing whenever the mission loaded, (Oh-6 wasn't available) I can fly the airplane but have a couple of questions. I use the "I" key for guns, and have the burst effects, but I see nothing flying up from the ground upon bullet impact as in CFS series. Also, how do I drop the bombs? I tried Shift-D, Ctl-D, nada. I find it tough to stay close to Skyraider 3.. any suggestions? Mission seems fun and could be a hoot, particularily if I can shoot up the trucks. Any help would be sorely appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help. Terry

Contrary to what you may see in video, original mission only uses droppable simobjects (bombs). Shift+D should work for
    dropping them. Trucks are meant to be bombed. "I" only activates gun effects, that are just effects, ie, not usable gun.
    For catching up with skyriders, maybe try to load less fuel or use shortcuts to the route.
    Be sure you've installed everything needed (including the bombs)*.

* The ybombs simobjects are installed inside mission's folder (fsx/missions/military/bridge tufa). You have to copy/paste inside FSX/SimObjects/Misc

xpelekis, Thank you for the clarification... I was sort of suspecting that. I guess for real "blow 'em up" I stick to CFS series. I don't understand why my bomb counter does not decrease when using Shift-D. Are there any effects when bombs hit the ground, do they jettison all at once or are they incremental? Thank you for the quick reply..

Each "Shift+D" press, releases just one bomb. Check in your FSX settings if this key
    combination is actually used for this function...
    Rewards, also go into main FSX/Rewards folder - apart of ybombs.
    About effects of bombs, I don't remember... but I see in bombs folder that there
    must be activated the "fx_ExplosionFire" effect on ground impact.
    What pazzles me is why there is no texture folder for the bomb apart of model folder... anyway.

Holy cow, a Milviz Skyraider!! That is awesome!!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

xpelekis, Wow,,congrats.. This was a case of being too close to the forest to see the trees. That was it. I'd thought the Shift-D was a default key assignment, but somewhere along the line it got cleared. Works as advertised. Bombs Count down ok, now to verify damage. I have the "fx_ExplosionFire" effect in the main fsx\effects. I'll follow up with the results. Thank you for stating the obvious on the key assignment. Totally spaced that one out...Terry

Reviving this old thread because these settings:

[launch_assistance]

don't funtion as these should. The aircraft detaches from the launch bar before you can activate the catapult. Has anyone here a working setup?

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post

[launch_assistance]

don't funtion as these should. The aircraft detaches from the launch bar before you can activate the catapult. Has anyone here a working setup?

Cees
    A-1H or A-1J? Also, FSX, SE or P3D? I will take a look today

[launch_assistance]

Cees
    I tested his A-1H with the CIMOGT LEX model with the following launch mod for the cat (P3D4.5, but should be OK in FSX / FSX-SE):
    [launch_assistance]

I think the BIG problem with breaking loose from the cat is actually running up the power in the "jam accel" mode like you would do with a jet. If you do I think the plane tends to lift the tail slightly and the invisible holdback drops loose, sheds the invisible bridle, and so you get a deck launch before firing the cat

Try easing the power up slowly, so that the plane does not seem to be moving forward on the cat. Then launch - should work.

Some other info for the A-1H/A-1J that I use in the aircraft.cfg file and for CV ops -- (The H and J models are essentially identical for FS purposes)

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]//From NATOPS Manual
    //EMPTY Wt 13328.0 equipped
    //Max Cat: 25000 (can be 25,800 with a buddy store)
    //Max Trap: 18000: (15,600 recommended)
    //Max Field landing 21000
    //Max Field Takeoff: 25000

CV approach: 90 KIAS in groove (full flaps, no speed brakes), no live ordnance or partial drop fuel (full center or wing drops allowable).
    Don't forget, this is prop, not a jet, so you need to take a "high dip" and throttle cut approaching the ramp; cut, drop the nose slightly then ease nose up to a three point attitude to arrestment.

Let me know how it goes ---
    Last edited by Mike71; June 15th, 2023 at 08:19.

It's the A-1H.
    Landing is no problem, never has been. I'll try your settings for the Launch assistance.

Thank you!

Cees

Edit: activating the Holdback bar makes the aircraft doing little jumps. No cigar, alas!

It's the A-1H.
    Landing is no problem, never has been. I'll try your settings for the Launch assistance.

Thank you!

Cees

Edit: activating the Holdback bar makes the aircraft doing little jumps. No cigar, alas!
    Agree - I see this on any carrier now. Just a vague factor in using a launch bar for a bridled airplane I guess. At least we know the cat has taken tension and is ready for the cat shot --

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 5.41,0.00,-2.0
    launch_bar_lug = 11.583333, 0.0, -7.50

This is the best option for me.

Cees

Members who have read this thread: 3