SOH A-26 Invader, the story continues ... - Page 18
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 810111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: SOH A-26 Invader, the story continues ...

Since Februar 2019 we have the N500MR, a A-26B under restauration at Meier Motors in Bremgarten EDTG/Germany. Came from Greece. New owner is a german company. Hope, I will see the Invader flying in Germany in some days. I never saw one...

http://meiermotors.com/index.php/air...s-a-26-invader or in Latest News

Thomas

Outstanding!
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

B-26K flight for a bit

https://youtu.be/lUV9EPdy7_A

Just alleviating some boredom by bringing the K-model out for a test. Those R-2800s sure sound nice.

Blog Entries
    Special Kay Is In The House....err...well....Hangar

Here's the current status of the A-26K and the A-26B&C WIP models as they are being re-constructed. I've been working with the Special Kay team and refining the K interior and exterior models, more on that later. Because the K, B and C models share so many common components, I figured it would be logical to upgrade Milton's original mesh as well, so...I'll be releasing that set as well, pending his approval...of course.

The models are near beta and working extremely well in P3D. I haven't really increased any poly counts significantly, so I don't anticipate any problems with the models in FSX.

The Amazing Thing...
    This is an example of how "old" mesh and skins will translate into P3Dv4.5 PBR. With the exception of the SEA camo specific to "Kay, all of these skins were created by me in 2012. The have translated beautifully into V4.5 PBR, requiring only the removal of the original alpha channels, replacing them with the metal textures/channels required by PBR. Skinners should take note that all of their old skins can and will translate to PBR in models that have been upgraded for compatibility. For my conversions, I used my recovered 2012 PK, which included the "worn" layers that easily adapted as "metal" textures, replacing the old alphas. It's simple and logical once the channel structure is understood. Actually the workflow is more logical and intuitive the the old methods we used for years.

The screen caps showed the airplanes fairly well, but the PBR skins just cannot be appreciated fully unless shown in motion. I'll follow this video with some aerial "beauty" video as well.
    Pay particular attention to the subtle nuance of the wear on the metal and painted skins. It's trick...

IF you have good speakers, you might want to grab a beer and crank it up. Enjoy....

Last edited by gman5250; August 10th, 2019 at 19:10.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I was blessed enough to see 'Special Kay' in person about 2 months ago...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    I was blessed enough to see 'Special Kay' in person about 2 months ago...
    Panther!! Good to see you around. Miss you, amigo. Your “panthered” landing screenshots were epic. Inside joke that I’m sure the old hands here recall...

Hope you’re doing well.

Daniel

This looks absolutely awesome! Now with all that heavy weaponry, is it possible to (please!) tacpack enable this bird? The nose mounted MGs alone would make that a rush.

Blog Entries
    I posted up a 4K version of the video as well. If you have HD this is the one to watch.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Look´s very very good !

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I posted up a 4K version of the video as well. If you have HD this is the one to watch.

Yes !! Fantastic !!!

Looking amazing Gordon. Do you have any previews of the VC yet?

I hope we will see a 'modernized' civilian version to represent surplus aircraft that are currently in civilian hands.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Do you have any previews of the VC yet? I hope we will see a 'modernized' civilian version to represent surplus aircraft that are currently in civilian hands.
    The next video with aircraft in flight will have the VC, at its current stage of development. This one is basically the restored "Kay" reproduction. I might look at a modern VC, but I am re-constructing the four Tigercat VC variants that were lost with my data. Top of the list is the Jetstar, then an Invader B&C cockpit. When Winter hits, I'll be doing the dev work full time again, but right now I'm still restoring redwood outside while the sun is up and the weather is good.

The B&C models are very similar to the K, so those should use common mesh, instruments and code. That'll make for an easier project. TacPack is on the table too.
    Thomas Jefferson

I really appreciate models featuring a more modern, restored cockpit. Just using the freeware FS9/FSX GNS-430 or 530 plus a transponder and, space permitting, a secondary Com radio is all that's really needed.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I really appreciate models featuring a more modern, restored cockpit. Just using the freeware FS9/FSX GNS-430 or 530 plus a transponder and, space permitting, a secondary Com radio is all that's really needed.
    The Special Kay team are installing Garmin G5 HSI and ADI now. That will be represented in the VC...hopefully. I actually have a few radios set up as pop-up window views using hot keys. I can pop up a Garmin, F-18 style HUD and a basic radio stack when I want to "cheat" a tiny bit. Mainly IFR flying but handy for VFR navigation on long flights. Those are in the beta K model now.
    Thomas Jefferson

Awesome!!!
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Blog Entries
    Bump and an Update:

Tomorrow AM I will be going in for the first of two full knee replacement surgeries. The second procedure will be done in approx. three months. What that means, in pragmatic terms is that I will be spending the next six months re-habing and bringing the new equipment up to speed...so to speak.

My focus in this time period will be on rebuilding my research database and...drum rolllllll...MODELING AIRPLANES !

The lineup continues with the Jetstar project (ongoing), then the K Invader, the F7F Tigercats and the Abrams Explorer. Also, Mr. Shupe has graciously granted me full permission to release the B&C Invaders for P3D, including the V4 PBR variants. I've got research material on the way for the cockpit variants...B, C & K models, so these will be fairly comprehensive releases.

Once I'm past the first couple days of recovery I'll bump back in with another update...and some video.

A small preview of the B/C VC modeling process. It's a WIP, but coming along nicely.

Last edited by gman5250; September 13th, 2019 at 15:33.
    Thomas Jefferson

Bump and an Update:

Tomorrow AM I will be going in for the first of two full knee replacement surgeries. The second procedure will be done in approx. three months. What that means, in pragmatic terms is that I will be spending the next six months re-habing and bringing the new equipment up to speed...so to speak.

My focus in this time period will be on rebuilding my research database and...drum rolllllll...MODELING AIRPLANES !

The lineup continues with the Jetstar project (ongoing), then the K Invader, the F7F Tigercats and the Abrams Explorer. Also, Mr. Shupe has graciously granted me full permission to release the B&C Invaders for P3D, including the V4 PBR variants. I've got research material on the way for the cockpit variants...B, C & K models, so these will be fairly comprehensive releases.

Once I'm past the first couple days of recovery I'll bump back in with another update...and some video.

A small preview of the B/C VC modeling process. It's a WIP, but coming along nicely.

Great news, both the knees and the models!

My wife had both her knees done recently, she got full replacements and the recovery was pretty difficult but now that she is past that it's a great improvement. Good luck on the procedure!
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Bump and an Update:

Wow! The old A-26 virtual cockpit looks great! As for your knee replacement, my mother had both knees done at the same time. She had already made up her mind to get through the rehab as quickly as possible and resume normal life. For every exercise she was supposed to do, she would do more. As a result, she was released from the hospital ahead of schedule, went into a rehab facility and ended up being booted out early because she was exceeding all the requirements for home rehab. Home rehab didn't last long either. Just a few visits from the therapist and she was released. She now does whatever she wants, goes where she wants, and is living a much better life after knee replacement. A lot of recovery boils down to attitude and determination.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Oh yeah, that's the VC I've been hoping for. Beautiful work. Good luck with the surgery and rehab.

Good luck and a speedy recovery to you GMan. Take good care

Blog Entries
    Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments and good wishes.

The procedure was textbook, I'm back home in the chair and at full song. No issues and I have a shiny new high performance device in the left leg. This surgeon utilizes state-of-the-art, cutting edge (pardon the pun) procedures. That means I was up and walking within fifteen minutes of coming out of the general anesthesia. End to end the entire process was about 28 hours from door to door.

That said, the only potential drawback is that I will most likely be using auto rudder in the sim as I feel disproportionate inputs at the pedals for the next couple of weeks. Either that or a lot of turning right. lol
    We used a full nerve block, spinal block and Iovera (nitrous oxide) in the knee. That means the leg feels like empty space from the adductor down to about the ankle. The heel still feels the ground but it feels like the leg is levitating. Probably not going to be too efficient in cross wind landings.

Part of the therapy is to use gravity to pull the knee into a straight leg alignment for the first two weeks. My normal working position while developing is to rest my heel on the desk and let the leg hang, so I'm already dialed in while working. The next procedure is in three months so I'll be doing extended duty at the box here for the foreseeable future. That means major progress on the five data recovery projects that run concurrently. I like balance so I'm keeping the Invaders, the Tigercat and Jetstar at parallel levels of development. The Jetstar is a major project in the VC, so that one is more labor intensive. The good news is that I only need to build one gauge and three copies for each of the dozens on board. The B and C Invaders use common elements, but do have differences in the two military models. Civilian applications are actually numerous, so I may build a generic with a nice Garmin stack. The K or "Kay" are, of course, separate and unique.

All projects will now be receiving my full attention and development time allotments...which more properly translates...a lot of time.

That said, thank you all for your encouragements. It's a challenging year considering the data catastrophe and the knees. The doc said my left knee was "a wreck". Now it's bionic and one more to do. Then I will free to train back up to the level that I am accustomed to, which ain't too shabby for an old biker.
    Last edited by gman5250; September 15th, 2019 at 14:02.
    Thomas Jefferson

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Thanks for the cockpit preview pics. Good luck with Autorudder; Makes me pine for an old MS Sidewinder twisty stick.

….ditto from me Gordon. Hope all goes well, and the new vc looks amazing - can't wait!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Excellent news, Gordon!

Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments and good wishes.

The procedure was textbook, I'm back home in the chair and at full song. No issues and I have a shiny new high performance device in the left leg. This surgeon utilizes state-of-the-art, cutting edge (pardon the pun) procedures. That means I was up and walking within fifteen minutes of coming out of the general anesthesia. End to end the entire process was about 28 hours from door to door.

That said, the only potential drawback is that I will most likely be using auto rudder in the sim as I feel disproportionate inputs at the pedals for the next couple of weeks. Either that or a lot of turning right. lol
    We used a full nerve block, spinal block and Iovera (nitrous oxide) in the knee. That means the leg feels like empty space from the adductor down to about the ankle. The heel still feels the ground but it feels like the leg is levitating. Probably not going to be too efficient in cross wind landings.

Part of the therapy is to use gravity to pull the knee into a straight leg alignment for the first two weeks. My normal working position while developing is to rest my heel on the desk and let the leg hang, so I'm already dialed in while working. The next procedure is in three months so I'll be doing extended duty at the box here for the foreseeable future. That means major progress on the five data recovery projects that run concurrently. I like balance so I'm keeping the Invaders, the Tigercat and Jetstar at parallel levels of development. The Jetstar is a major project in the VC, so that one is more labor intensive. The good news is that I only need to build one gauge and three copies for each of the dozens on board. The B and C Invaders use common elements, but do have differences in the two military models. Civilian applications are actually numerous, so I may build a generic with a nice Garmin stack. The K or "Kay" are, of course, separate and unique.

All projects will now be receiving my full attention and development time allotments...which more properly translates...a lot of time.

That said, thank you all for your encouragements. It's a challenging year considering the data catastrophe and the knees. The doc said my left knee was "a wreck". Now it's bionic and one more to do. Then I will free to train back up to the level that I am accustomed to, which ain't too shabby for an old biker.
    Gordon, glad you came out of the procedure well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Best wishes

Jim

Members who have read this thread: 9