SOH A-26 Invader, the story continues ... - Page 21
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: SOH A-26 Invader, the story continues ...

Simply BEAUTIFUL work!

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Yes, certainly. As I said, it took me several hours to do this looking-up, but in a nutshell, here's what I remember :
    1) Go to: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...26&childcats=1 and install the third entry for the A-26 (manual install).
    2) For FSX, go to: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...dcats=1&page=2 and install the A-26 conversion with fix.
    3) I then read thru this entire thread, but remember page 7 : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Download/page7 where in post #168, John has a mediafire link to fix glass issue. Download and install as per directions these files.
    4) Go to : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nks_search.php , search username ******** and install Gordon's new A-26 texture sets (third from bottom).
    5) Go to Avsim and install Richard Wisman's 'beech 18 auto-smoke xml gauge' found here : https://library.avsim.net/search.php...nMode=0&Page=2 , (second entry on page).
    6) Wing lite reflections I commented out as although I found them very nice, they were a bit too bright for my taste.
    In the aircraft config under [LIGHTS]:
    //light.11 = 5, 4.5, -18, -3.9, Newll //wing lite reflections
    //light.12 = 5, 4.5, 18, -3.9, Newll //wing
    7) I slightly darkened the VC lighting.

As I mentioned, these mods I made for my own personal use according to my taste and not everyone may like these, but IMHO, they just add to the realism of this wonderful creation by the developers here at SOH.
    Thank-you, Gordon for the texture sets and for pointing me to the smoke gauge, and, of course, Milton and co. , for the wonderful aircraft model.

Hopefully this helps sort things out a bit.

Still, a WOP .... as I understand.

Hello gang,

I followed these instructions, however, I'm having issues with this plane crashing my Steam version of FSX when I try to load a flight. Once I select the plane, and hit Fly, I get the black loading screen, but the white box that shows the terrain, etc, loading progress is blank. After about 15 seconds, FSX fully crashes and closes.

I've skimmed through all the pages in this thread, however, I can't seem to figure out what's going on.

My system:

Ram: 16GB
    CPU: AMD FX 6300, 3.5GHZ
    GPU: NV GeForce GTX 1070

Any suggestions?

Did FSX crash before you made any of the changes? If not, then undo what you did one thing at a time.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Did FSX crash before you made any of the changes? If not, then undo what you did one thing at a time.

As far as the A-26: I performed steps 1-3 while following the Read-Mes for my first install. I attempted a first flight afterwards, and that was when I experienced the crash.

I undid step 3, and still experienced a crashed when I hit Fly Now.
    I then turned the graphics down to low, and still experienced a crash during the loading screen.

I have other addon aircraft, including some with pretty large files, and haven't experienced any issues.

OK, sorry, just kinda scratching my head as to why you would download all of this old A26 stuff and try to add updated FSX fixes? There are A-26 FSX models in the library that don't need modification.

Douglas A-26B/C Invader FSX-Native.zip
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    OK, sorry, just kinda scratching my head as to why you would download all of this old A26 stuff and try to add updated FSX fixes? There are A-26 FSX models in the library that don't need modification.

Douglas A-26B/C Invader FSX-Native.zip

Haha, yeah, seems a bit backwards. I did in fact try the zip you suggested a few weeks ago, but I ran into an issue with all of the models not displaying in the Select Aircraft window. Subsequently, I experienced the same crash when trying to launch the various ones that did show. I searched around for a fix and bumped an ancient thread with no luck:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...FSX-Native-zip

So, I searched around more, found this current thread, and figured it would be best to start from square-one. Which evidently didn't work.

I'm currently re-downloading the FSX native zip you've suggested, and I will give it another go. I fear I will still run into the issue with the cfg file not matching the models, leading to only a few of the models showing in the selection window. Are you familiar with that issue, and can you suggest a fix? Apologies for derailing this thread.

Could it be as simple as not having all of the things that I show circled in red?? If you still get a CTD when trying to fly then you will need to start a new thread describing your error. Be sure to check your computer's Events Viewer log and look for a faulting module.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	select page.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	72362

Blog Entries
    Just to clarify, my upgrade is an entirely separate project and will be thoroughly beta tested for FSX and FSX SE and P3D and P3Dv4. I just did a test install of the original from Milton Shupe in FSX, following the install instructions explicitly beginning with the install of the FS 2004 model first, then installing the FSX Conversion with fix. Both download links are on the home page. My FSX install is recent and up to date and vanilla...right off the disks. Acceleration and the updates included.

The plane did load for me with no issues. I didn't fly it...just made sure the model loaded without any niggles or issues. Hope this helps sort out any bits of confusion.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I redid the 2004/fs9 install, Then copied the conversion files over. Only 6 models show, all of which crash FSX when I press Fly Now.

Removed all files.

Installed the Native.zip. Same thing 6 planes. None flyable.

I've ensure all boxes are ticker per MrZippy's jpg.

Not sure what's going on, but I'll create a new thread. Thanks for everybody's assistance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpunBearing View Post
    I redid the 2004/fs9 install, Then copied the conversion files over. Only 6 models show, all of which crash FSX when I press Fly Now.

Removed all files.

Installed the Native.zip. Same thing 6 planes. None flyable.

I've ensure all boxes are ticker per MrZippy's jpg.

Not sure what's going on, but I'll create a new thread. Thanks for everybody's assistance.
    No need for a new thread. I think you will get better traction here. I'll see if I can't re-create that CTD on my and and isolate the niggle. I'll have a FSX beta ready relatively soon...let's see how that works for you.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

All 18 aircraft for Milton's A-26 for FSX show fine and give no error for flying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all 18 aircraft.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	72363

Post 5 version

Native.zip version

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails soh_a26.jpg   Native.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by SpunBearing View Post
    Post 5 version

Native.zip version
    Be advised that you cannot have the old version (FS9) in the sim the same time as the FSX native version.
    Both versions use the same Model folder names. So, if an FS9 model is loaded with FSX native textures, you will crash. If the FSX native models are loaded and the FS9 textures are used, there will be issues.
    I would recommend removing the FS9 version from your sim system altogether.

Not sure if Steam has a DX10 option, but if so, there may be issues with some 8-bit textures from the FS9 version.

If you enabled the sound.gau to run, it requires FSUIPC.

If you would like to try my aircraft.cfg for the DaveQ Native version, it is attached.

All 18 aircraft show and fly fine here.

You should save or rename your current aircraft.cfg before trying this.

EDIT: BTW, if you approved any old .gau files to run (at FSX startup) with that FS9 version, you may want to remove that from your fsx.cfg.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; November 15th, 2019 at 18:22.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Just a shot in the dark regarding the problem with CTD. Check in the panel CFG. Scroll down to [Vcockpit01] and make sure //gauge49=dsd_xml_sound3!dsd_xml_sound3,10,10,20,20, ./gauges/A26B_sound.cfg is disabled or removed. It worked for me and somebody else who was having CTD problems. This is for the FSX version.

Regards Paul Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    If you would like to try my aircraft.cfg for the DaveQ Native version, it is attached.

All 18 aircraft show and fly fine here.

You should save or rename your current aircraft.cfg before trying this.

EDIT: BTW, if you approved any old .gau files to run (at FSX startup) with that FS9 version, you may want to remove that from your fsx.cfg.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul day View Post
    Just a shot in the dark regarding the problem with CTD. Check in the panel CFG. Scroll down to [Vcockpit01] and make sure //gauge49=dsd_xml_sound3!dsd_xml_sound3,10,10,20,20, ./gauges/A26B_sound.cfg is disabled or removed. It worked for me and somebody else who was having CTD problems. This is for the FSX version.

Regards Paul Day.

Nailed it!

I applied both of these suggestions, and I now have all of the models showing, and flyable models with no crashing.

Thank you, everybody, for helping me trouble shoot this. I had so much fun flying the A20, now I'm excited to experience her spiritual successor.

Best regards,

Stephen Joseph

Hello everyone,

For ********, can we hope for a release for this end of the year, Christmas for example?
    The videos shown make us piaffer with impatience
    it would be a nice gift for simmers!
    Regards

Alain
    -

Any updates for the K-model?

Any Invader news would be welcome news .....

https://youtu.be/wqKbjgRrXsM
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

-Yes, but no news from the A26 for Flightsim !!! (and the Tigercat ..)
    It's really sad!
    It makes you wonder if it was really intended to be distributed!
    it's like showing a child a treat and telling him: you won't get it !!

Alain
    -

Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    -Yes, but no news from the A26 for Flightsim !!! (and the Tigercat ..)
    It's really sad!
    It makes you wonder if it was really intended to be distributed!
    it's like showing a child a treat and telling him: you won't get it !!

Alain
    -
    It happens a lot, unfortunately. No updates or closures on various intended projects.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Hang in there.

I've developed models for far simpler and older versions of FS/CFS and sometimes you just spend SO MANY HOURS that you loose interest and your mojo. Developing models of the detail Gordon is doing is magnitudes ahead and exponentially more hours. That's not even taking into account real life that can interfere, it ALWAYS does. Sometimes it gets to much and devs just walk away, sometimes a break is enough and they come back refreshed, we are all human after all. Especially when it's freeware, the impetus to continue is not 'forced' like it is with sub-contractual payware devs.

Also, bear in mind that many developers reach a point of saturation with projects. They say a project is never really finished, but the developer gets fed up working on it and looses their passion for it and releases the best they can considering. There is always more you can do as a dev to make a project better, but at some point you have to call it 'done'. With Freeware this may well be sooner. With Gordon I detect a perfectionist, he is the opposite, freeware means nothing to him, results everything. He has a passion, let him roll with it. God forbid we dent his enthusiasm and drive as we will be the only losers (we all know this has happened prior).

Just my tupence,
    Jamie

Blog Entries
    Update:

I haven't lost interest in any of my projects, in fact I have been wayyyy down the rabbit hole for the last year. I am working on the restoration of every aircraft I lost when MS borked 52,000 hours of my work. Sifting through the multiple Terrabytes of recovered metadata feels very much like re-building the Twin Towers...from the pile.

That said, I have re-built...from scratch...all of the Invaders, including re-mastering all of the artwork for every skin. In the process I decided to bite the bullet and learn the new P3Dv5 SDK, which requires re-mastering all of the art for dedicated use in V5. I have done this for all of my airplanes, my MJ Boeing Strato upgrades and Manfred's upcoming P3Dv5 DAK. It is most efficient for me to do bulk operations, due to the complexity of the mastering process for V5. The Stratos and DAK are on hold while MJ is on holiday, and I have been using that time for the Tigercat and Invader reconstructions. I have indeed been flying the B, C and K invaders all of this week.

Putting things into a real world perspective, I did two full knee replacements last year...September and November respectively, so the first half of this year was a ton of rest/rehab and very limited seat time for dev work. BTW, I highly recommend the procedure for those looking in that direction. On the heels of the knee work, the Covid1894 smack down eliminated over half of our income, so much of my time this spring and summer has been devoted to constructing a greenhouse to grow food. Currently we get by on a bowl of rice per day. I do appreciate the fact that things appear slow, but losing 1.2 million files would send most people into a tailspin. I don't quit...ever...so I just pulled up my man pants and started rebuilding. It's a process.

That said...here's a screen cap of the K Invader in P3Dv5 PBR metal. I have managed to master the new format and applied the new techniques to all of my recovered projects. The skins no longer go black at night and look absolutely stunning in every flight condition. I shot some raw video this AM and you can expect some video previews similar to the ones I did for the new MJ DAKv5 and PBR Boeing Stratos.

My priority at this time in order:

MJ Boeing Stratos for P3Dv3,4 and 5
    Beta, nearly release ready. Pending shake out and sign off from MJ

MJ Dak skin conversions for P3Dv5...my entire collection including a V5 Paint Kit.
    Release ready. Shown here is the Manfred Jahn Prepar3Dv5 PBR DAK I am shaking out in the video.

B, C and K Invaders
    Beta, nearly release ready.

Lockheed Jetstar
    Alpha model flying, currently updating the interior to FSX/P3D/P3D PBR compatible. PBRv5 skins in progress.

F7F Tigercats
    Flyable, awaiting PBRv5 skins

Brewster Buffalo

Model recovery in in progress

Abrams P1 Explorer
    Beta ready, PBRv5 skins needed

After the airplanes, I did recover my published scenery projects, but all of the GMAX, 3D Studio models and Photoshop layered files need to be re-built.

One other thing. I had developed a radical new autogen technology that dramatically improves performance in the sim. This was the biggest loss when the data went down the shifter, and re-building every bit of autogen from scratch is a mind bottling undertaking. I don't talk about it much because I keep things close to the vest, but the beta I was running in my sim was unbelievable. That's on the bucket list too, but kind of out in the weeds right now.

B-26 K Invader for PREPAR3dv5 basic polished metal skin
    Last edited by gman5250; July 31st, 2020 at 19:35.
    Thomas Jefferson

Wow! Nice work, ********!
    Greenhouse357

Can't wait for all of these! You should set up some kind of way to donate a few bucks for those of us who appreciate your efforts. I know many of these are based on improving others works so straight donationware is probably out, but a PayPal/Venmo/Patreon where could go "wow, these planes are bringing me such enjoyment, here's $20 towards the greenhouse project" is something I'd be happy to support.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post

Can't wait for all of these! You should set up some kind of way to donate a few bucks for those of us who appreciate your efforts. I know many of these are based on improving others works so straight donationware is probably out, but a PayPal/Venmo/Patreon where could go "wow, these planes are bringing me such enjoyment, here's $20 towards the greenhouse project" is something I'd be happy to support.

My projects here are my gift to the community...I couldn't possibly consider donationware. When I rebuild my scenery projects I will give serious consideration to marketing those.
    Thomas Jefferson

Members who have read this thread: 10