SOH A-26 Invader, the story continues ... - Page 15
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 578910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: SOH A-26 Invader, the story continues ...

Side note, if you have any questions you need to run by the Kay crew, I may be able to get some answers for you over the weekend. If I'm not at the museum tomorrow, I should be there on Sunday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade408 View Post
    Side note, if you have any questions you need to run by the Kay crew, I may be able to get some answers for you over the weekend. If I'm not at the museum tomorrow, I should be there on Sunday.
    That would be awesome! In a perfect world I need about a week with the real airplane with camera and notebook in hand. lol

Other than that, the team has documented the restoration with a few hundred photos and a very good walk around video. I was able to glean a lot of data from those sources, but there are some areas that are foggy. One area is the circuit breaker panel. I know the team documented the various panel restorations with photos of the newly powder coated/screened parts. I haven't seen anything like that that documents the circuit panel. Anything there would be extremely helpful.

As the project stands now, the model is very close. I have someone ready for the TackPak code once I bring the switches live, so that is ongoing.
    To be realistic, I think an FSX/P3D/P3D PBR model will be ready shortly.

Beyond that, I'm looking at this project as an honorarium to the Kay restoration and crew, therefore a comprehensive re-model of the full VC is in order. That means a second release of a fully V4 or V5 capable model at much higher model resolution than the current. To do that any and all cooperation with the crew would be very much appreciated, so let them know that I am open to that conversation. The data needed for that would be schematics, drawings and hands on working knowledge of the airplane.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Man she's beautiful!
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

I contacted Gman about this, but wanted to share with the rest of SOH who are following this thread. A friend of mine, a retired Navy Master Chief, Frank Turchi, runs the Maintenance Tech. Publications Library for the Naval Aviation Museum, here in Pensacola. Every so often, I go visit him. Went there yesterday, and during our discussions, I made mention to him that the A-26 is being recreated for FSX/P3D. He is more than a little interested in this, as he was a crewman on Invaders. Frank is in his mid 80s, I believe. Tough old guy, and takes a lot to slow him down! He is a avid RC enthusiast as well, and just recently acquired a A-26 JD with retractable gear that he has been flying quite a lot.

Frank just bought a new gaming pc this past week, and is buying P3D. I look forward to helping him get things set up. He hasn't had a fast enough computer to do much simming at all, so this will be a new adventure for him! Bring on the Invader! Frank is really hoping the following paint scheme will be included, or done soon! NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vu3jd1_02_16feb2002.jpg   invadermb_3.jpg  

Gman, it's looking amazing!

Just curious, did you figure out what was causing the CTDs yet?

So, I've been beta-testing the B-26K. I have thus far been VERY impressed with the aircraft (even in the WIP state it is in). I would like to do a video on it on YouTube, if Gman allows it, to show everyone what I think about it so far. Is that alright with you, Gman?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade408 View Post
    So, I've been beta-testing the B-26K. I have thus far been VERY impressed with the aircraft (even in the WIP state it is in). I would like to do a video on it on YouTube, if Gman allows it, to show everyone what I think about it so far. Is that alright with you, Gman?
    Absolutely...looking forward to it.
    Wait for the updated model...incoming today.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

This was all done in one take, with a sub-par microphone for the "talky bits" where do just a bit of nit-picking. As you will hear in the video, I LOVE this airplane.

https://youtu.be/ShjqDwGDUmw

Great work!! But always remember you can't use full flaps with ordnance still on the wings!! This was a lesson we learned during development!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

SOH A-26B/C Update now available

After a lot of work on tidying up, this limited conversion to FSX-native is now available here in the Library. It has 10 models and 18 skins and represents the A/B-26 from 1945 on, up its early days in Vietnam. Some of the paints are mine, and others are from earlier times. Basically any paint will fit but you may need to get rid of common textures. Specs and bumps are included. The vc has not been updated apart from the addition of a rather lovely M20 gunsight from ********. If you already have a copy in your Airplanes directory you may need to delete the panel folder, otherwise the old 2D gunsight will appear. Hope you enjoy it as much I've enjoyed doing it!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Dave, quick question.

Many of my older paints have textures titled "_spec", whereas the newer paints have textures titled "_s". Are these one and the same? Or, in other words, if I bring over the older textures should I rename the file from "_spec" to "_s"??

Just curious. Not sure if I want to do all this but in case I get bored during the next snow storm.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    After a lot of work on tidying up, this limited conversion to FSX-native is now available here in the Library. It has 10 models and 18 skins and represents the A/B-26 from 1945 on, up its early days in Vietnam. Some of the paints are mine, and others are from earlier times. Basically any paint will fit but you may need to get rid of common textures. Specs and bumps are included. The vc has not been updated apart from the addition of a rather lovely M20 gunsight from ********. If you already have a copy in your Airplanes directory you may need to delete the panel folder, otherwise the old 2D gunsight will appear. Hope you enjoy it as much I've enjoyed doing it!

DaveQ
    Stupid question of the day -
    The version I currently have is in post #5 of this thread, and I believe this was a FSX conversion. What is meant by 'limited conversion' to FSX native ? My favourite is Gordon's 'Sugarland Express' - and it flies well / looks great for me in FSX already. I realize FSX native models 'behave' better than port-overs in FSX, ... so just wondering if I should re-install with this 'limited conversion ' version.

Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    The version I currently have is in post #5 of this thread, and I believe this was a FSX conversion. What is meant by 'limited conversion' to FSX native ? My favourite is Gordon's 'Sugarland Express' - and it flies well / looks great for me in FSX already. I realize FSX native models 'behave' better than port-overs in FSX, ... so just wondering if I should re-install with this 'limited conversion ' version.

This is a conversion of the original to FSX-native but lacks an up-to-date cockpit. It has bump maps and spec files that enhance the external view and the props and glass behave properly (no pun intended!!). There are also ten different models to play with. But I suggest that if you're happy with what you have, stick with it. Alternatively save it somewhere safe and try this one out. Nice screenshot by the way!

DaveQ

Thanks, Dave !

I think I will take your advice and save my current one to the desktop, as backup, and then try this one.

You had me at 'spec and bumps that enhance the external view' .

After seeing Gordon's latest post pics here, below, ... my appetite for aluminum skins just increased 100 fold, lol !

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1177775
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Where is this scenery? Thanks, NC

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Where is this scenery? Thanks, NC
    Hi Pete,

Looks like Monterey Ca airport - orbx has a scenery file for this.

http://c-aviation.net/review/monterey-regional-airport-orbx-review-6/

Yes, it's Orbx's Monterey, indeed .
    Cheers, MZee ...

My latest paint job I've been working on. Just looking for more stencil documentation at this point. Collings' "My Mary Lou", currently under reconstruction, after having suffered a serious crash in 1993.

Oops, Tondelayo slipped in there, too.... For the RCBS model... Don't know if I'll be able to release that one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-3-15_12-43-6-427.jpg   2019-3-15_12-40-53-578.jpg   2019-3-15_12-50-18-162a.jpg   2019-3-15_12-46-32-851.jpg   2019-3-15_12-57-8-213.jpg  

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Beautiful work as always Jankees!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

A friend of mine is working on this Calspan Corp. B-26 repaint. This aircraft was contracted by the govt.to provide training at USNTPS. At the time, I was working in the AME shop of the USNTPS Maintenance Division. I managed to get a ride in it. Nice. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails received_385735191978251.jpg   received_2411282539140220.jpg   received_801488736882101.jpg   04759da062743d77f008057e78885ce8--fighter-aircraft-military-aircraft.jpg  

just uploaded these three:
    jk9053

jk9038

jk9057
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Cool repaints. Thanks, Jankees. Looking forward to yours, FlyingsCoool.

Still hoping someone might look at doing "Sweet Eloise II"? I have some good photos if needed.

-- WH

If you have good pics...
    meanwhile, turns out Dinah Might was actually an A-26C, with different noseart on either side:
    Dinah Might on the right:
    jk9135

Rickey Tick II on the left:
    jk9133

and did a few more:
    jk9138

jk9127

jk9123

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    If you have good pics...
    Yeah, I have a few..

Anything particular??
    -- WH

Members who have read this thread: 9