SRUDB.dat corruption

Thread: SRUDB.dat corruption

Unhappy SRUDB.dat corruption

This seems to be the section where member's post questions on computer issues, so here goes...

I'm running Windows 8.1, and am not having any OS issues. However, the other day when I looked at the event log I noticed error messages indicating the SRUDB.dat database was corrupt. The errors are recorded every hour on the hour indicating that some program or service was attempting to write to the file and generating the error.

In researching the cause and solution, I got overwhelmed with the information and am not sure what direction to take. I've done a full scan of my computer for malware and viruses, and found nothing. One solution was to perform a cold boot and through a process of elimination try to identify which service or program was causing the error. Another solution was to use an MS utility (sfc) to scan the OS and repair (possibly) any corrupt files.

The computer is running fine. I'm not sure if I should attempt to fix the problem or just let it ride as there has been no performance issues that I can detect. Or I could have a technician take a look and do a repair. Last thing I want to do is a reinstall of Windows and chance losing any flight sim installs among other things.

Anyone ever encounter this type of issue? Am looking for some advice or commentary to logic this thing out.

Thanks in advance.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

The service that creates the SRUDB.dat is Diagnostic Policy Service. This is a solution offered for Win10 users but should work for your 8.1 system as well: https://www.tenforums.com/general-su...-all-time.html

On my Win 7 and 8.1 systems I set Diagnostic Policy Service to Manual. If needed it (should) start... all consideration given to the reality that we're talking about an MS product here .

HTH,

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Thanks, Greg

This I can do. At least I could understand the logic and calm my fears about a more radical approach. So much for my trust in researching responses on the M$ website.

Curious. You set the service to Manual. How does that impact the service? Or does that improve performance?
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Curious. You set the service to Manual. How does that impact the service? Or does that improve performance?
    Since Win 7 services set to Manual will start when needed... that's the line I was told by an MCE a few years ago. Not sure I agree... I have my Print Spooler service set to Manual and it will not start when I want to print something. I think the reality is that some services set to Manual will start when needed.

At any rate I can confirm that I've been running the Diagnostic Policy Service on Manual for years without anything breaking. The worst that could happen is Windows trouble shooting capabilities and fix suggestions may not work... given how poorly those things actually work I don't miss the service running all the time. If you're unsure, and the fix posted above works for you, it shouldn't be a problem to leave the Diagnostic Policy Service set to Automatic. The primary reason I set it to Manual is because I don't like having anything run that isn't needed... and I've yet to need that service.

About those MS help forums... the best tool for troubleshooting and fixing a Windows computer is Google!

Good luck,

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Greg, just to follow up. All is well.

I follow the procedures late yesterday and so far no data corruption errors.

Thanks again.
    -- WH

Great news, WH. Have fun and sim on!

Greg

Members who have read this thread: 0