Northrop F-15A / RF-61C Reporter - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Northrop F-15A / RF-61C Reporter

Blog Entries
    Just found this.. Early plexiglass sucked SO bad for visibility.. Cant see anything inside those cockpits..

Plastic models?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Blog Entries
    Ya Know?? Thats an excellent question.. If i zoom in i can see a lot of little dents and variances in the panel lines where they arent perfect, and that emblem on the tail i've seen maybe once before and have no clue what its from.. I'm wanting to say its real, but perhaps someone with better eyes than mine could look it over..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Just found this.. Early plexiglass sucked SO bad for visibility.. Cant see anything inside those cockpits..

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Plastic models?
    Confirmed that these are plastic models.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/a...aaf/cjaf15.htm
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Apparently that modeler didn't know the future floor wax trick (Dip the canopies in future floor wax to make them look like shiny glass, but they may have changed the formulation recently, so we modelers may have to find another technique).

Thanks, Pam. I coincidentially found a picture of a F-15A crew by asking Google (probably the only one out there).

High altitude gear, I presume (look at the boots).

Anyway, if modeling the figures is not a problem, I am in favor of having a crew in standard service - or at least suitably protective for high altitude recce - attire and one in post-war private, research whatever clothing.

Switching between the two is the least of problems because of "title=" tag based visibility code. I'd happily supply that.

However, it's ultimately Deano's call.

Thanks for the input everyone, it's hugely helpful. It does seem that we can do almost anything we want given the varied roles the F-15 found itself in post-war. My thinking is that an 8th PRS scheme aircraft would have the crew in full high-altitude gear, while everything else can be in the current set-up of officer's cap front seat, NCO garb in the rear. Although I like the casual nature of the baseball caps, this was a military aircraft primarily so I want to stick to military-attired crew.

I'm not sure if visibility tags would allow us to switch caps, but I could simply have another model in place with the correct crew for the 8th PRS, and another with current crew for all other types. It adds very little to the overall size of the project but adds a great deal of realism

Current state of the textures - working on all standard markings and panel variations / weathering.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newpaint.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone, it's hugely helpful. It does seem that we can do almost anything we want given the varied roles the F-15 found itself in post-war. My thinking is that an 8th PRS scheme aircraft would have the crew in full high-altitude gear, while everything else can be in the current set-up of officer's cap front seat, NCO garb in the rear. Although I like the casual nature of the baseball caps, this was a military aircraft primarily so I want to stick to military-attired crew.

I'm not sure if visibility tags would allow us to switch caps, but I could simply have another model in place with the correct crew for the 8th PRS, and another with current crew for all other types. It adds very little to the overall size of the project but adds a great deal of realism

Current state of the textures - working on all standard markings and panel variations / weathering.

Textures are looking really good!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

As I've said, it's easy.

Code:
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>Crew_Military</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (A:TITLE, string) 'CIVILIAN' sstr 1 &lt;
    if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>Crew_Civilian</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (A:TITLE, string) 'CIVILIAN' sstr 0 &gt;
    if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>
    Do a military and civilian crew and keep them both inside the cockpit. Doesn't matter if it looks stupid in FSDS or MCX, it's the sim that counts.
    The military crew gets the upper visibility tag, the civilian crew the lower.
    Now if you have a military paint, you don't have to do anything since the military crew is standard. If you want Texy McTexface and Billy Bob, add "CIVILIAN" to the paint's "title=" line in the aircraft.cfg et voilà, your civvie crew will display.

If necessary, the visibility code can be amended with weight information, so that the crew will only display if the appropriate payload station has a weight assigned. It's also possible to add such a weight-based tag to every crewmember to make flights without backseaters possible.

Thanks Bjoern! I do recall the visibility script but XML coding will be the final mountain to climb when the model's ready, so I haven't studied it much yet. I'll hopefully be making the left spinner invisible based on a click or exit command along with the engine cover also. It would be brilliant to have selectable crews depending on airplane type so I'll endeavour to use your generously supplied script to make that work. FSDS is a bit cranky in adding new XML tags so I think that's where my main issue will be - Roy has said that it requires new definitions to be added very carefully else FSDS simply won't read them.

Thanks again all for the assistance, the Reporter's looking better every day!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Isn't the "hide the cowling" script already working? Or didn't you try it out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Isn't the "hide the cowling" script already working? Or didn't you try it out yet?
    I did apply the tag but FSDS requires me to put the definition in a particular place in the animations list for it to be recognised and attached to the model. I'll be doing this shortly once the exterior textures are finished and then moving on to the VC. I'll let you know if it all works, fingers crossed now I know the peculiarities of how FSDS likes things to be listed there shouldn't be any issues

I did apply the tag but FSDS requires me to put the definition in a particular place in the animations list for it to be recognised and attached to the model. I'll be doing this shortly once the exterior textures are finished and then moving on to the VC. I'll let you know if it all works, fingers crossed now I know the peculiarities of how FSDS likes things to be listed there shouldn't be any issues
    Mind that I can only help with the code itself. FSDS is a book with seven seals and a minotaur guardian in a cretan labyrinth for me.

Phew! Textures done for 8th Photo Recon Squadron, the famous "8-ball" markings. Also added all standard decals. The exterior is now complete, apart from some tiny tweaks and the addition of crew with oxygen masks for high altitude flights. I'll be starting on the VC next week all being well, after finishing one further texture set ( maybe two if I have time ).

Enjoy the piccies!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8PRSa.jpg   8PRSb.jpg   8PRSc.jpg  

Extra civilian texture set, this one from Project Thunderstorm, one of the US Weather Bureau squadrons equipped with both P-61C Black Widows and Reporters.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thunderstorm1.jpg   Thunderstorm2.jpg  

Looking awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on these!

mmm, those look beautiful!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Thanks!

Blog Entries

RF-61 FDE First blush

A long time ago, Dean first came on here and announced he was going to make a P-61. Robert hadnt started his rebuild of the P-61B yet and I was like, OK!,, Lets do this.. So I invited Dean to join us on our then brand spankin new discord server with Jade Island and the gang. I also invitd Tom and Mark and so we set about looking at how to go about this.. Then Robert announced he was rebuilding the P-61B and I leaped for joy and had a pow wow with the guys and we realized that a lot of people had asked for th F-15 reporter.. To me, this was too good to be true. Roberts P-61B and Deans F-15 reporter.. I cant begin to tell you how happy this makes me. Then, Dean says " I'm going to make it in FSDS, too which i said,,, oooK!. I'll be damned if over the months he hasnt calmed all my fears and hesitations. The RF-61 Reporter is turning out to be a damned fine aircraft, and I am proud to be able to share this little demonstration video with you all. I'm still relerning how to make videos too, so, bear with me.. Love you all..
    Pam

Man this looks beautiful!!! Cant' wait to fly it.

Aww, thanks Pam, that's a great video! Thanks so much for all your work on the FDE, and to Mark and Robert for all the help while I've been building the model ( and learning as I go ).

FSDS is very long in the tooth but I'm finding that it ( and GMax also ) are just right for the level of detail aircraft that I want to build - detailed enough to be interesting, simple enough not to require 6 months of manual reading just to start an engine. Work is well underway on the VC, and I'm looking at launching in April. Also, I've been working on an extra add-on for it because it would be daft to have done all this and not have a P-61C Black Widow too, right folks?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P61Cb.jpg   VC.jpg   f15-5.jpg  

Cheers Dean! That cockpit looks really promising (also that ominous center section)!
    I can confirm that the Reporter is a blast to fly. Pam did a great job on the FDE!
    It shows nicely in Pam's video above. Check out those pull ups!

Best,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Blog Entries
    That center section was a navigation table on top. Below, there was a rudimentary set of instruments, a column, and pedals as since the plane was designed to fly upwards of 1300 miles with wing tanks, The pilot and navigator would take turns sleeping while the other flew the plane..

SOH-CM-2018
    Also, I've been working on an extra add-on for it because it would be daft to have done all this and not have a P-61C Black Widow too, right folks?
    That would be fantastic!! What would be even more fantastic? A P-61 AI model!

All is looking very good. Keep up the great work.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Know what would be even better?? Too form a Virtual 428th NFS squadron, and find a way to put tac pack on these planes so they could be flown in combat.. Of course, the turret would have to be animated..

Members who have read this thread: 1