New to XP11.

Thread: New to XP11.

New to XP11.

After years of loyalty to FSX, I've sprung for XP11 and it looks good. Though I've read the manual cover to cover, there's something I'm missing. My old X52 is being recognized but I must be screwing up the settings 'cause Pitch and Roll are a disaster and yaw's not much better. Can't seem to find null zones (ala FSX) so my input responses are 'right now' and very dramatic. On the Skyhawk visible elevator flutter is terrible - only a slight quiver on the Baron. I certainly could use any and all hints to fix my little problem (s). FWIW I'm running through STEAM.

on the screen to set your controls at the bottom left is a button for control sesitivity, click that and you should get another screen to adjust. Depending on your controllers, I would recommend starting around the 40% mark and then adjust from there to your liking. X-Plane is one to one on the controls, so they need to be tamed down.

After switching OFF hyperthreading in NVidia controls, settings of 40 and 0 made the Skyhawk quite docile. Seems I'm having to recalibrate stick and rudders for each flight - would creating a profile alleviate that? My graphics settings are towards high but the scenery appears very washed out compared to other sims and, though I have antaliasing set in NVidia to 4Xsupersample to override game setting, the aircraft have lots of jaggies.

Blog Entries
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I am thinking of trying the Xplane 11 demo - I am new to Xplane. I have FSX/A and P3D V3 - Not interested in the V4 of P3D at this time but I need to know if Xplane will work on 64 Bit like P3D V4?
    Or do they plan too? Am surprised to see some familiar folks here from the FSX-P3D side of the fence. Would be interested in comments of Xplane users and especially from FSX/P3D users.
    I didn't even know/look for X plane on SOH but nice to know there are Xplane users here.

Thanks.

EDIT: I could spend same amount for P3D V4 Academic version and have to convert/repurchase P3D/FSX addons ($$$) or purchase Xplane11 and go add scenery/addons for it -
    hummm.... something for me to think about. Don't see any Xplane repaints in the Warbirds library.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    ...I need to know if Xplane will work on 64 Bit like P3D V4?
    Here you go, gray eagle: http://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-64-bit-faq/ Am also jumping in to X-Plane. It's going to even better places.

​.

Blog Entries
    Thanks boxcar I was going to answer grayeagle but you gave him exactly what was needed. Welcome aboard guys!
    Ted

~ The Way of the Future ~

My pleasure Ted. X-Plane sells itself these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0vS1koc8EY

Skip to 9:00 to see the VR flight. Gets me excited just watching.

​.

Quote Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
    My pleasure Ted. X-Plane sells itself these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0vS1koc8EY

Skip to 9:00 to see the VR flight. Gets me excited just watching.

Looks like my CPU is not quite at minimums, I've tried the demo and it loaded the tutorial with the Cessna; it was nice and would take some getting use to.
    I don't think I have the recommended CPU horsepower to run it at its best. My Vid Board is a GEFORCE 660 - I've got enough to run FSX/A and P3D V3 - not enough to climb to V4 of P3d either.

Blog Entries
    Guys it does take a lot of horsepower to really run X-Plane but that is true of P3D4 and FSW, but the realism is just unbelievable. I've been rebuked several times by so called experts who say that FSX and P3D are just as real...I admit I only have a little over 400 hours flight time but I know what a real GA aircraft feels like and with the right combination of graphics power and stick X-Plane 11 is awesome.

Something to remember is Microsoft flight simulator got me started on my virtual adventure so I will always have a soft place my heart for MICROSOFT flight sims. I started virtual flying when I worked for Bruce Artwick's group as a programmer. I have loved it ever since.

Ted

Grayeagle you need to boost the chip up some more or move to a 950 Bloomfield for that board and a 970 for graphics better flying results

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Something to remember is Microsoft flight simulator got me started on my virtual adventure so I will always have a soft place my heart for MICROSOFT flight sims. I started virtual flying when I worked for Bruce Artwick's group as a programmer. I have loved it ever since.
    . . SubLOGIC's Flight Simulator II was my first decent sim, acquired for my Apple IIe before Bruce sold it to MS. Flew many hours in the early 80s while working the Greyhound driver extra board out of Indianapolis and St. Louis waiting to get called in to drive. Will always be thankful for all of the MS FS editions through the years, and FSX is certainly no slouch whatsoever... but "Without change something sleeps deep inside us and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." --Duke Leto Atreides, planet Caladan, in the original movie "Dune".

*edit*-
    * Next live stream is Wednesday, so this vid may not be available soon --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1JvKbjuW4k <-- stream from yesterday's flying. This guy is flat-out crazy, but he is fun. X-Plane 11, and he's got a lot of mighty cool scenery tiles and more. *Warning-- rated R for language as well as highly inappropriate flying sometimes. *Jump to 2:04:00 for a flight take-off & drool over that scenery after t.o. *Cut to 6:00:00 for the final flight of an 8 hour run of continual flights, the guy's an ironman.
    ​, .
    Last edited by boxcar; January 7th, 2018 at 14:46.

​.

Guys it does take a lot of horsepower to really run X-Plane but that is true of P3D4 and FSW, but the realism is just unbelievable. I've been rebuked several times by so called experts who say that FSX and P3D are just as real...I admit I only have a little over 400 hours flight time but I know what a real GA aircraft feels like and with the right combination of graphics power and stick X-Plane 11 is awesome.

Ted

Grayeagle you need to boost the chip up some more or move to a 950 Bloomfield for that board and a 970 for graphics better flying results
    I looked up the pricing at newegg for that CPU $300 plus I most likely would have to change out the MOBO as the one I have now is Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
    and that mobo would not handle that bigger CPU. Then there's the vid board, at ~$300 - and most likely need memory chips for the mobo. So that would take
    a bite out of my retired savings. Could almost just buy another new computer - Can't win for losing. Right now, I'm good with my rig as is with the P3D V3
    installed. I may revisit this at another time. Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries
    Sorry grayeagle I still have my old socket 775 QX9650 and a GTX 285 if it wasn't for the kids at EAA Young Eagles club I wouldn't be able to fly XP11 or FSW. I built all their units so they let me use them when I am there before class.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I looked up the pricing at newegg for that CPU $300 plus I most likely would have to change out the MOBO as the one I have now is Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
    and that mobo would not handle that bigger CPU. Then there's the vid board, at ~$300 - and most likely need memory chips for the mobo. So that would take
    a bite out of my retired savings. Could almost just buy another new computer - Can't win for losing. Right now, I'm good with my rig as is with the P3D V3
    installed. I may revisit this at another time. Thanks for the info.
    Don’t know if you live on the West Coast or heard about Fry’s Electronics. If you are on their email they have specials with a code you get every week. This weeks special is a I7-7700k with motherboard for $399. They have some pretty good deals each week.

Frys.com

Bob

Looks like I may have to just get an OTS computer like this one
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-D...mputer+i7+16gb

Or something similar....perhaps cheaper then building one. Then, I'd have to upgrade to Win 10 as the newer CPUs won't run win 7 as they wouldn't have the drivers to support win 7.
    When things start to unravel over using Xplane 11 it adds up ($$$).

Here you go grey eagle: http://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/desktops/form=Tower Usually better bargains are to be found at their website, albeit their website is often rather slow. Use the configurator on the left margin to whittle down the crowd. The one in the link you provide would need a better GPU, in my estimation, 4Gb preferably 8Gb. Many of the towers at hp are configurable and they've made headway towards getting better power supply options. Have had 4 hp computers over the past 15 years and they all held up well.

Nowadays it takes more "grunt" to run a great looking X-Plane than it does FSX. If you're happy running at lower display settings then the one in your link should get you started. In my opinion, the best bang for the buck in built flightsim systems is X-Force PC. Their Titanium model has what you'd need to get started in fine fashion, though their budget model isn't a toad either. https://xforcepc.com/english/flight-...computers.html Lots of good videos there explaining stuff.

Am knowing what a pain it is to start over in more ways than one, but X-Plane is what I want to do. Hope this helps.

*edit*- Sniffing around hp I found this: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-b...pc---870-255xt If you wish to stay with hp then that would get you started well methinks, though the system memory is still a bit slow. Other than that the box seems pretty good.

​.

Quote Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
    Here you go grey eagle: http://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/desktops/form=Tower Usually better bargains are to be found at their website, albeit their website is often rather slow. Use the configurator on the left margin to whittle down the crowd. The one in the link you provide would need a better GPU, in my estimation, 4Gb preferably 8Gb. Many of the towers at hp are configurable and they've made headway towards getting better power supply options. Have had 4 hp computers over the past 15 years and they all held up well.

Nowadays it takes more "grunt" to run a great looking X-Plane than it does FSX. If you're happy running at lower display settings then the one in your link should get you started. In my opinion, the best bang for the buck in built flightsim systems is X-Force PC. Their Titanium model has what you'd need to get started in fine fashion, though their budget model isn't a toad either. https://xforcepc.com/english/flight-...computers.html Lots of good videos there explaining stuff.

Am knowing what a pain it is to start over in more ways than one, but X-Plane is what I want to do. Hope this helps.

*edit*- Sniffing around hp I found this: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-b...pc---870-255xt If you wish to stay with hp then that would get you started well methinks, though the system memory is still a bit slow. Other than that the box seems pretty good.

Thanks for pointing the others out, BTW, in the old days, OS install disks or DVDs came with the unit, I assume they don't supply Win 10 on backup/install DVDs unless you flat out buy Win 10. So, how does that work when
    you have to redo Win10 on your rig with no DVD's? I guess a 7th gen I5 is good enough the link I provided was for an I7 Intel CPU.

Building your own is always cheaper ! And if you have a problem, you know the machine inside and out.
    Sue

...in the old days, OS install disks or DVDs came with the unit,... So, how does that work when
    you have to redo Win10 on your rig with no DVD's? I guess a 7th gen I5 is good enough the link I provided was for an I7 Intel CPU.
    My last 2 computers had the Windows OS Recovery on a partitioned part of the hard drive. Perhaps it's all via high-speed internet these days, not sure. Haven't personally been "initiated" to Windows 10 yet but soon enough we'll see. So far as the Intel processor goes, yeah: a good quad core that'll turbo to 4+ GHz for strong results, whether it's i5 or i7. Am pretty sure that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Building your own is always cheaper ! And if you have a problem, you know the machine inside and out.
    True enough. Have never built my own yet, though all of the researching that must be done to insure that all the chosen components will play nice together as well as fit into the box (things like larger CPU cooler dimensions, etc.) is rather intimidating and wearisome to me, as well as thermal grease application to the processor installation and so on. At 64 it's not getting any easier to consider building my own for the first time, and grey eagle is 72. Maybe age is a factor in this, as there's enough frustrations the way things are already without begging for more. All legitimate concerns, in my estimation, and there be others. Besides, some poor souls would certainly have to spend a lot of time and effort to help people like us through the process, and I'd personally hate to do that to anyone. I ask lots of questions... and talk tooooo much... and write tooooo much... and am a royal pain in the kazoo.

​.

Blog Entries
    Grayeagle if you decide to build a box make sure it has at least 4GB of VRAM. You will get a better result in FSW, X-Plane 11 and P3Dv4. Also the i5 is OK but i7 has more cores and is faster. You can use hyper-threading with i7. I have yet to see an i5 you could use hyper-threading on. You can fly just fine without Hyper-threading on but one day the 64bit flightsims will utilize it.
    Ted

Grayeagle if you decide to build a box make sure it has at least 4GB of VRAM. You will get a better result in FSW, X-Plane 11 and P3Dv4. Also the i5 is OK but i7 has more cores and is faster. You can use hyper-threading with i7. I have yet to see an i5 you could use hyper-threading on. You can fly just fine without Hyper-threading on but one day the 64bit flightsims will utilize it.
    Ted
    Again, I'll have to research OTS rigs vs home made. My son built my last two rigs - this one (current computer) he made with components available in 2011. Thanks for the hyper-threading info.

-Butch

Blog Entries
    You can always make better rigs yourself, than you can buy off the shelf.. Sadly for me, my old Phenom II 6 core cpu just didnt quite cut the mustard with xplane even though it rand p3dv4 and fax quite well, so i just upgraded to a Ryzen 5 1600 cpu with 16 gigs of ram and I've never experienced anything so smooth or so enjoyable as xplane. The ryzen 5 1600 is a lower end, less expensive and slower ryzen ( being only 3.2 ghz ) but its ability to run twelve threads across six cores is phenominal..

Members who have read this thread: 0