Damn you Microsoft! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn you Microsoft!

From the "horses mouth":

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windowex-for-s

Allthough FSX isn't mentioned specifically, at least now a statement from MS that it IS a problem caused by the Fall Creators Update (1709).

Rob

My system updated this afternoon. I've never had a screen/system freeze since I built this box. Since update, I've had three. All while doing Megascenery installs. The freezes each occurred about 15 minutes after booting. I rolled my system back to before the update, and no freezes since. Was able to finish installing the Megascenery, and do some other stuff, without a screen freeze.

My notebook warned me about the update being ready to install, and I said "no." Rescheduled for 2 weeks from now.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    From the "horses mouth":

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windowex-for-s

Allthough FSX isn't mentioned specifically, at least now a statement from MS that it IS a problem caused by the Fall Creators Update (1709).

Rob
    Thanks for that Rob.

At least the issue has now been acknowledged by MS.

I had contacted Dovetail support who are aware of the child window issue, and they have been in contact with MS about the problem.

So hopefully a fix will be issued in a forthcoming Windows update.

Cheers

Paul

I have found through much searching a semi solution. By that I mean 90% of the time it seems to work OK but will crash upon selecting end flight. It does still manage (in my case) to log any flight made. Occasionally it will still crash upon requesting a 2D pop up still but it is rarer and seems restricted to long flights, which for me would be over 400 miles in a twin prop for example.

Anyway it is a simple as Setting compatibility to W7 and running as admininstrator.

There was a big MS update Tues p.m. but alas the fix was not included...... perhaps next week
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

directx may be the problem

win 10 doesnt seem to like directx'that i have noticed
    if thats the problem?h
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

I've reinstalled the DirectX package included in the FSXSE folder (_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010) after receiving the "child window" error once and no matter how many menus or windows I've opened since (a whole damn lot), I've yet to see that message again.
    Not that this is a definite fix, but it might be worth a shot, especially for those getting the error more often. (Don't forget to report back whether it has helped or not.)

I have installed W10 3times now and when i insert the FSX disc,the install shield wizzard comes up,i can select the path to where install FSX.
    Then it hangs and i get the error 1603.
    The latest Update is installed.
    Where can i find Version 1703?
    Game over

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    I have installed W10 3times now and when i insert the FSX disc,the install shield wizzard comes up,i can select the path to where install FSX.
    Then it hangs and i get the error 1603.
    The latest Update is installed.
    Where can i find Version 1703?
    Game over
    Tried this?

https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/...f-238e08ff0670

Or google: https://www.google.de/search?q=fsx+1603+fehler

There are also ISOs for 1703 out there, from which you can install from:
    http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso...load-standard/

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    This brand new update is supposed to fix the error:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4051963
    Not this update sadly Bjoern!

Those affected will have to wait a little longer by the looks of things.

I had re-ran the DX package that came with FSX SE on my old Windows 10 1709 installation (via windows update), and for me it didn't cure the issue.

(But glad it worked for you!)

I'm now running a fresh install of 1709, but still having the same problem.

Interesting how some people seem to be running the 1709 build of Win 10 and FSX/ FSX SE with no problems, whilst others aren't!

Cheers

Paul

It absolutely didn't work for me as I've just experienced. *Sigh*

Yip! still getting the error. One positive though, at least the sim crashes this way long before I run out of VRAM.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Well, my good luck finally ran out. Quite possibly it was my fault, but my computer "bricked" last night. I was updating WIN 10 to 1709. After a couple hours, following several re-boots in the process, my monitor's screen was black, unchanging for over a half hour. I rebooted. Would go to the "Welcome" screen, and then nothing. Black screen again.

I tried using my Win 10 recovery disc, but Win 10 would not boot successfully.

Dead 'puter.

Took it to repair shop this morning. Thank goodness for my external drives and online email receipts for payware, eh?

By coincidence, I had ordered 2 500gb SSDs a couple days ago. The SSDs currently installed are almost four years old. I figured it was just a matter of time, but I hadn't planned on changing them this quick. Stuff happens, eh?

Also bought a two TB external drive. When I get my system back in about a week, I am hoping things will work a helluva lot better!

NC

Well, Chief, your brick...errr...computer, yeah, computer can't work a whole lot worse!
    If it works at all, in any way, shape, or form, it's working better

Let's see, 2 500Gb SSD's, and a 2Tb external. Yup almost enough for the sim, all the add-on planes, scenery, etc.
    No matter how much storage you've, it seems to expand to fill it up eventually. I think it's the Unwritten Law of the Simulator. Maybe it's written some place. I dunno. Still...

I wish you good luck, and good fortune!
    Have fun
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Y'all just don't have any discipline when it comes to add-ons.

Nope, I don't. Never will, either, at my age. NC

Just seen a post on the LM P3D forum: -

Hello everyone,

Microsoft will release a fix for the child window error in an update on December 12th. This problem was introduced in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709).

Regards,
    Rob McCarthy
    https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic...171475#p171475

Fingers crossed that this update doesn't bugger up anything else!

Cheers

Paul

Hurrah!
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Too little, too late for me. Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and reload my PC with an Acronis backup image I took at the end of September with 1703 on it. Before I reconnect ths PC to the network, I disabled Windows updates. Still recovering my system for changes I'd made since the backup, but that's it for me. No more Windows 10 updates.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Good news.

It seems that the 2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517) that was released today, has fixed the 'error creating child window' problem an subsequent crash of FSX.

(Confirmed by others elsewhere as well!)

Cheers

Paul

Except that the damned thing refuses to install, third time trying and counting.

Jesus Christ MS, get your #### together.

There's also no mention of the problem on the release notes.

​With update 4054517 and the JustFlight Turbo Arrow, I have mixed results so far.

Upsaide: Loading the aircraft doesn't crash FSX anymore.

Downside: Calling up the 2D panel windows freezes FSX or at least makes it respond VERY slowly.

- Edit:

False alert. It was an aircraft problem. Deactivating Compatibility Mode for fsx.exe solved the freezing issue and the Turbo Arrow works just fine now! So yes, the update fixes FSX!

By Jove - it seems fixed. Did much in the way of plane hopping and inside outside pfaffing about also calling up 2D panels etc.... no crashes. Well done MS it only took 2 months or so to sort it out.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I have had failed update installs for the past week or so. 88% and then "ERROR"(After 1:30hrs. Darn Update assistant. I keep uninstalling the darn thing so it does not hog my resources.

Maybe I will give today's update one more chance.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Members who have read this thread: 0