Old Alphasim Freeware Site

Thread: Old Alphasim Freeware Site

Old Alphasim Freeware Site

This may be a link which is commonly known, but I was surprised to come across it today. As is often the case I was looking for something else when I found this live link, which I thought was long gone. Some interesting stuff here, although some of it is preserved and upgraded in the Library.

www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php

Cheers,
    Michael

Just noticed that the P-47D download has a model for the Razorback as well as the Bubbletop.
    There is also an Avro Vulcan. Has anyone converted this for use in cfs2? I tried but none of the variant of MDLC work in my windows 10 64 bit environment.
    Cheers

MDLC by it self can't work on Win7 or newer as they on longer support 16bit programs. You can try the below that is MDLC with DOSBOX plugged in.

Attachment 55355

Read the Install and Tutorial files first. If you have any question ask me.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Find many more of Allen's great programs here:

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Allen.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    MDLC by it self can't work on Win7 or newer as they on longer support 16bit programs. You can try the below that is MDLC with DOSBOX plugged in.

Attachment 55355

Read the Install and Tutorial files first. If you have any question ask me.
    Thanks Allen. Did all that but the conversion still failed. I have a sneaking suspicion it might be my antivirus, which wants to quarantine a lot of my downloads. I'm about to ditch Norton and try Avast.

cheers,
    Michael

BTW Allen, I've got to say your instructions are a model of clarity. Very easy to follow. Thanks.

The P-47 looks to have a CFS2 version and the Avro Vulcan is a CFS2 ready model. (you may need to add new sounds and .air file for it to work in CFS2) I forgot to put the note in the Quick Tutorial that if the conversion fails that the model may be CFS2 ready model.

Yes, the P-47 has a cfs2 model, but it has a collision bubble which is too large. How is this fixed?

Use the DOSBox Collison Size.bat. Take the model you want to change the collision bubble of and name it CFS2_MOD.MDL and put it into the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder

Now run the DOSBox Collison Size.bat. It will tell you what to do. After its done you should have a file named CFS2_MO2.MDL. This is the model with the collision bubble set. Name it back to what the model.cfg is looking for and your all good.

PS:
    Make sure you have Show Known File Extensions on your PC. I don't think any program is using the file extensions .mdl but to be safe have things set to Show Known File Extensions.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Thanks Allen. Did all that but the conversion still failed. I have a sneaking suspicion it might be my antivirus, which wants to quarantine a lot of my downloads. I'm about to ditch Norton and try Avast.

cheers,
    Michael
    I run CFS2 on Windows 8.1. I often used to get issues with Norton quarantining .gau files, some .dlls and other assorted items that I am either downloading or unzipping related to CFS2.

But it is relatively easy to remedy. At the risk of telling you something you already know, here goes...

Open up Norton and go to "Settings". Click on "Antivirus" -> "Scans and Risks" -> "Exclusions/low risks" -> "Items to exclude from Auto Protect, SONAR and Download Intelligence detection" -> "Configure [+]" then add folders and items you wish to excluded from real time protection.

For instance, I excluded my CFS2 download folder as well as my entire CFS2 parent folder along with the folder where I keep all of my simming and scenery making utilities installed. You can also exclude the same folders from Scans too.

Momentarily turning off real time protection when downloading and unzipping files from trusted sources such as the files from CFS2 developers being downloaded from SOH and other trusted sites is also an option. Just remember to turn it back on!

Cheers,
    MR

PS You are likely already aware of this too, but I mention it anyway: If you think Norton has quarantined a required file from your DOS-MDLC set-up you can always check using "View Recent History". If some needed file has been quarantined by Norton it it can be restored and excluded from any future notice by Norton.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

There are CFS2 Alphasim P-47s already available in the Warbirds Library. No need to fight conversions
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    I run CFS2 on Windows 8.1. I often used to get issues with Norton quarantining .gau files, some .dlls and other assorted items that I am either downloading or unzipping related to CFS2.

But it is relatively easy to remedy. At the risk of telling you something you already know, here goes...

Open up Norton and go to "Settings". Click on "Antivirus" -> "Scans and Risks" -> "Exclusions/low risks" -> "Items to exclude from Auto Protect, SONAR and Download Intelligence detection" -> "Configure [+]" then add folders and items you wish to excluded from real time protection.

For instance, I excluded my CFS2 download folder as well as my entire CFS2 parent folder along with the folder where I keep all of my simming and scenery making utilities installed. You can also exclude the same folders from Scans too.

Momentarily turning off real time protection when downloading and unzipping files from trusted sources such as the files from CFS2 developers being downloaded from SOH and other trusted sites is also an option. Just remember to turn it back on!

Cheers,
    MR

PS You are likely already aware of this too, but I mention it anyway: If you think Norton has quarantined a required file from your DOS-MDLC set-up you can always check using "View Recent History". If some needed file has been quarantined by Norton it it can be restored and excluded from any future notice by Norton.
    Thanks MR. That is a big help. Still getting used to finding my way around Windows 10 and the quirks of Norton, which I haven't used for years. Always surprised by the things I rediscover, even those which once were second nature. You're input will save a lot of heartburn.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Members who have read this thread: 1