MAW 1943 - Problem with Effects

Thread: MAW 1943 - Problem with Effects

SOH-CM-2020

MAW 1943 - Problem with Effects

I'm still trying to get a stand-alone version of MAW for 1943 to operate smoothly.

The latest pesky thing to vex me is that artillery shell explosions do not render correctly.

At first I thought it was some changes I'd made to grndexpl_m in the effects.xml. But I have the same file working well in other installs.

The only other possibilities occurring to me are that I've stuffed up a Z bias setting in config.exe, or else something in a scenerybudgets or other budget xml?

Note the wierd black and white circle in the screenie of Malta. The circle rapidly goes from black and white to black, then disappears (hence the wafts of smoke in the background)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shell Effect.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Well I've solved the problem by making changes to the effects.xml. So much for all my efforts with z-bias, etc .

All I did was change the older more complex fx_grndexpl_m effects to Effect0="bombexpl_m", just like ETO (I think). The only problem being in an older install like MAW, some ships have a damage effect calling for grndexpl_m, which looks a bit naff with a dirtspray.

NBB for those like Gecko and Majormagee interested in the effects.xml, I came across a few old typos that have propagated to effects.xmls in various installs like ETO and Pat's BoB.
    For example there is an entry for a muzzleblast 3 texture which does not exist, and some side texture fields for tracer effects use a tracerend texture. When I replace with a tracerside texture, the tracers are greatly improved (to my mind at least).

Members who have read this thread: 0