Convair Delta Wing Test - Page 10
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: Convair Delta Wing Test

Yeah, those latest images make me thing, "Nice pics of the plane, when do we get to see images of the FSX model?"

The is some of the best jet metal work I've seen. Nice job.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Before my primary HDD went on the fritz (no worries, files backed up, and new SSD installed.. Thanks Black Friday) I started to oxidize the aluminum... This is to much... But it will be toned down a bit from here.

Exceptionally beautiful model, and texture work, Gentlemen. :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Many thanks all! There are a few features that are being worked out right now, if feasible thiey will be included. I'll hold off until I get a green light. But it should be a fun little airplane to fly.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

15 or 20 years ago we never could have imagined that sim aircraft could possibly look this way. Progress is an amazing thing. Metal is as metal does...that looks terrific.

Very beautiful! Interesting one has a stall fence on the wing and one does not. A very perfect delta plan. A friend of mine soloed himself in a Mig 21 which has a similar planform but conventional tail feathers. A pioneering design, most more modern designs use a somewhat different leading edge shape to energize the boundary layer at high AOA on approach (or ACM as well).

Flying in the area of reverse command with slow spooling pure turbojets must have been interesting!

Yes, the Fences are an option. As first version of the plane had them, along with Elevons which stopped short of the fences and wing tips. Since we opted for the Afterburner model, which had all moving Trailing edge elevons, we opted to allow for wing fences which were also tested during the USAF and NACA phases. There's no photos, of them so we took some artistic liberty based on the fact that multiple configurations were likely tested, to place them in about where the F-102 had them.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

PHASE III (WHITE) Test

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

These screenshots are amazing...... they all look like works of aviation art. Nice work Rick!
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    These screenshots are amazing...... they all look like works of aviation art. Nice work Rick!
    Thank you muchly!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Enter the AB! Thanks Brian! I'll post a list of features which are now included tomorrow. This project is really coming along. Thanks for the interest and all the help!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Good looking reheat Rick! Does it come with marshmallows?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    100% agreed!

As much as i love bare metal that white dress does look fantastic on her ! Well done, Rick !

Unique features (confirmed thus far as working) include:

1. VC selectable wing fences and inlet test vane.
    2. Wing vapor effects.
    3. High G/AoA airframe buffet.
    4. Throttle AB detent sound with AB engagement sound.
    5. Period pilot figure

There's one more major item that I would like to implement but it's beyond my skills. I imagine that I need to have a fairly competent coder, like Brian or Bjoern. We'll see if I can convince someone! For now I'll leave it at this.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Unique features (confirmed thus far as working) include:

1. VC selectable wing fences and inlet test vane.

Why not make this permanently selectable?
    (Info for Milton; needs to be coded into the model.)

Code:
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>XF-92_Wing_Fences</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (A:TITLE, string) 'FENCES' sstr 0 &gt; if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>
    Will activate when "FENCES" is contained in the [fltsim.x] entry's "title=" line.

Code:
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>XF-92_Inlet_Vane</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (A:TITLE, string) 'INL_VANE' sstr 0 &gt; if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>
    Will activate when "INL_VANE" is contained in the [fltsim.x] entry's "title=" line.

So all you'll have to do is create multiple [fltsim.x] entries for each configuration and you can select them from the aircraft menu. Next advantage: Milton won't have to export three different models. Third advantage: With a bit of folder and config file path magic, you can even have slightly different flight dynamics for each one. without many redundant model files and textures. 125% efficiency!

There's one more major item that I would like to implement but it's beyond my skills. I imagine that I need to have a fairly competent coder, like Brian or Bjoern. We'll see if I can convince someone! For now I'll leave it at this.
    If it's engine related shenanigans, I'd provide a more universally applicable approach SOMEDAY. I've got a UI template set up for an engine damage gauge, but it is configured for piston engines and still lacks most, if not all, systems interactions. One of these days, it's going to be adapted to jets and turboprops, so you can put it into any plane you want. However, the whole thing is on the backburner since most of my dev time is taken up by the A320 and Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Why not make this permanently selectable?
    (Info for Milton; needs to be coded into the model.)

Code:
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>XF-92_Wing_Fences</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (A:TITLE, string) 'FENCES' sstr 0 &gt; if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>
    Will activate when "FENCES" is contained in the [fltsim.x] entry's "title=" line.

Code:
    <PartInfo>
    <Name>XF-92_Inlet_Vane</Name>
    <Visibility>
    <Parameter>
    <Code>
    (A:TITLE, string) 'INL_VANE' sstr 0 &gt; if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
    </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
    </PartInfo>
    Will activate when "INL_VANE" is contained in the [fltsim.x] entry's "title=" line.

So all you'll have to do is create multiple [fltsim.x] entries for each configuration and you can select them from the aircraft menu. Next advantage: Milton won't have to export three different models. Third advantage: With a bit of folder and config file path magic, you can even have slightly different flight dynamics for each one. without many redundant model files and textures. 125% efficiency!

If it's engine related shenanigans, I'd provide a more universally applicable approach SOMEDAY. I've got a UI template set up for an engine damage gauge, but it is configured for piston engines and still lacks most, if not all, systems interactions. One of these days, it's going to be adapted to jets and turboprops, so you can put it into any plane you want. However, the whole thing is on the backburner since most of my dev time is taken up by the A320 and Metro.
    Thanks for your comments Bjoern. There is only one model currently.
    The wing fences are currently selectable in the VC by gauge. I think Rick has something else in mind.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

After discovering the actual shape of the ONLY wing fences used in flight testing for data gathering purposes, Milton was kind enough to indulge me with a redesign. This is the precise shape of the exact wing fence used...a freak find while reading through a flight test report....reading pays off! Stay in school kids!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

The talent gone into the making of this model is fantastic. Every progress report, every new screen shot is better than the last. I, for one, check this thread everyday. I am anxiously awaiting the day I see it is ready for download. Again, I, for one and looking more forward to the completion of this model than to anything the big man in the red suit might put under the tree for me this year.

The skill of the team working on this model is very impressive.

Keep the updates coming.

Barry

Until you threw the white paint on it, I had never noticed that the canopy support arms weren't recessed and rested on the fuselage when the canopy was closed. Nice find on the wing fences, it's looking great.

Thanks Jan, Barry and Sundog! It's getting close to a public beta.

What still needs to happen:

1. FDE refinement.
    2. A few external texture details.
    3. Redo of interior canopy rail details
    4. Getting the pilot in there! (Javis is working this right now).
    5. My secret wishlist project item(s).
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Added Vortex tufts, Final bits are the visible panels. This is difficult because they changed over time and testing what panels were actually there. So It will end up being a slight hybrid and simplified for quality sake. But should be true to the spirit of the various modifications that were made.

So far I have the original paint. The Phase II, Phase III Original White, and this one, which will also have the X's aboard.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Rick....I think you're cheating again.....that's the real plane....

Haven't seen anything on this one in a couple of weeks. How's this project coming along?

Members who have read this thread: 1