Convair Delta Wing Test - Page 7
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Convair Delta Wing Test

Thanks Milton! I credit my smart phone with the ability to send all those hand drawn up photos to you.... Multitasking in between meetings, or while doing honey do list items or yard work!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Milton revised the nose section slightly to a more accurate shape. I've added more rivets...can't see them yet. You will when bumps are created. Stars and bars added for test.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

That's shaping up nicely Rick. Great looking metal progress,
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Milton & Rick

Looking fantastic! This is going to be great!

The Old Master Sergeant

That's going to be so much fun to fly! Nice work so far guys.

This is looking awesome! Im not a jet guy at all, but with these two pros on this masterpiece I will definitely be taking it up for a spin Great job Milton and Rick

Found this technical report on the Convair. Maybe there is a nugget or two in there that will help the project.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Convair.pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Found this technical report on the Convair. Maybe there is a nugget or two in there that will help the project.

Kevin
    Excellent find Moses.

From what I've read so far, this will be very useful. :-)

The afterburner augmentation at 100% (11,800) rpms I had correct at 7500 lbs thrust but had not seen that statement before.

The fuel capacity of 560 gals we have, but in 7 cells functioning as 3 tanks is new information.

The performance data is awesome to have. That will be very useful.
    Drag coefficient is ideal to have. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

These are the dogs I have. This was not one of them! Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XF-92A.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	55539
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Lighting Testing

Doing a little light testing. Dynamic Reflection ON and then OFF. Both have their place, and both look good, but it's different lighting...DR is still too washed out IMHO. It's not contrasted enough to produce the reflection well enough yet.

added more rivets since last for the rivet counters...lol....

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    At this stage of the game, DR does not seem like it is going to be a simple switch on and off option. Models set up to do a certain thing with light, specular, Fresnel and Global Reflection are gong to render washed out, contrasty and bright in DR mode. It is a quandary.

That aside, the model looks great!
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

It is very interesting to follow the progress on this special little delta! I know the feeling when you are working with a great team and everything is just happening smoothly. I had a great time with Henk and Dave Q when we did the Viggen rework project (and we have done quite a few other projects as well).

Keep up the great work! And Milton, It seems like you are involved in all the projects there are on this forum these days :-) Seriously, thank you for your time and effort with bringing these old aircraft to live for us in FS!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    At this stage of the game, DR does not seem like it is going to be a simple switch on and off option. Models set up to do a certain thing with light, specular, Fresnel and Global Reflection are gong to render washed out, contrasty and bright in DR mode. It is a quandary.

That aside, the model looks great!
    I don't fully understand how DR works under the hood, and if settings can be tweaked? But you're right Gordon, as painters we have to basically choose which setting we will cater to, as both cannot work optimally from the same texture set.

Thanks! This has been a great learning experience for me! And working with Milton has been great. We've got a few more model revisions to make ad I made a large Discovery of never before seen photos in the mother of all XF-92A archives yesterday. :-)
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Model revisions about done now; will have them to you today Rick.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    I made a large Discovery of never before seen photos in the mother of all XF-92A archives yesterday. :-)
    Have you come across s decent cockpit photo yet? If so, could you post it or post a link to the archive? I'm very curious!
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

What would be an historically accurate chase plane to get ready, for videos we'll create of your new XF-92? T-33X, F-80X, or F-86?

Rick, does that large photo archive you discovered show chase planes?

Toby

go to Flickr.com and do a search for "CONVAIR XF-92A"

Behold the only known (to me) cockpit photo of the XF-92A

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by mig21bis View Post
    What would be an historically accurate chase plane to get ready, for videos we'll create of your new XF-92? T-33X, F-80X, or F-86?

Rick, does that large photo archive you discovered show chase planes?

Toby
    Either F-80 or F-86 T. I think those would be accurate period chase aircraft. I think T-33 would have been too late?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Thanks to your Flickr reference, Rick, here it is - plainer than day, chase plane was F-86. We'll use the MilViz model - ready when the XF-92 is released!

Was testing done at EDW?

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    go to Flickr.com and do a search for "CONVAIR XF-92A"

Behold the only known (to me) cockpit photo of the XF-92A

That's a great shot! Too bad the flickr copy is so small.

Don't know if this helps at all, but I enlarged and did some enhancing of that flickr photo.

Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

The VC at this stage will be kept as the XP72/54 port over as it's late in the game...but I don't put it past Milton to take on a project like this...however, I won't speak for him as for our agreement we decided that VC wouldn't be done since no reference pics existed (until this one showed up). But even this one isn't really good enough to use as reference to model a VC. I don't want to burden Milton with anything more than he's willing to do. Since this was my pet project, I'm just happy he was willing to do the exterior and port over one of his other fantastic VC's for use in it!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Looking for prop or jet engine blast effects for this project. Anyone know of available freeware effects that might be converted for the xf92a?

Would also be nice to see some "heat shimmer" behind the exhaust when sitting static if you have knowledge of that effect somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Looking for prop or jet engine blast effects for this project. Anyone know of available freeware effects that might be converted for the xf92a?

Would also be nice to see some "heat shimmer" behind the exhaust when sitting static if you have knowledge of that effect somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

I have a jet engine heat shimmer effect that I can email to you early tomorrow morning! What is a jet/prop blast effect? Is that when the jet/prop engine spools up and blasts dust and dirt off of the runway?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I have a jet engine heat shimmer effect that I can email to you early tomorrow morning! What is a jet/prop blast effect? Is that when the jet/prop engine spools up and blasts dust and dirt off of the runway?

Thank you; yes, exactly.

I will control both based on N2 % range setting, one at idle, and the blast for the takeoff run.

EDIT: Update - I now have the perfect heat shimmer effect, and working on the jet blast; I am now happy with what I have. Just need to tweak a bit more and add an xml gauge and some model xml to control when they show.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; November 9th, 2017 at 20:18.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

You're going above and beyond Milton!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 1