Convair Delta Wing Test - Page 5
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Convair Delta Wing Test

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    If these are to your liking you're good to go, Milton :

110% sure that if he was still around Hansi would've been glad to donate his F-86 gauges for your XF-92 project, Milton. They are from quite a few years ago of course so no 3D alas. And our F-86 model was for FS9 but the gauges work fine in FSX. However they don't in P3Dv4.... I just checked... I don't have enough knowledge of gauges to know if they can be *made* to work in v4.... ( Bjoern ?.... )

Nice option here is that some gauges are double, click them and they'll turn into another gauge. F.i. the ILS gauge can change into the ADF gauge.

So, if you like i can send you the gauges or maybe you have our old Sabre puppy still lying around somewhere ? It's all Hansi's and my work, you're very welcome to it, naturally. In addition to the gauges you can of course use anything. I'd say put the whole VC in and remove what's not needed. In that case i'll send you our F-86 model source.

( afraid no AB gauge, Rick.... F-86 didn't have one.. )

Cheers,
    Jan
    Thank you Jan; you are most gracious. Yes, Hansi and I have worked together before and he graciously provided some needed new xml gauges in past projects.

I do have the F-86 in all its glory and thank you and your team for all that effort.

I have merged and converted the VC out of the xp-72/xp-54 and converted things for jet use.

Since your post here, I have used 6 gauges from the F-86 cab file; thank you very much. :-)

I think aside from some texture changes we must make to "purify" the panel and cockpit for a "jet", we are almost there.

I really appreciate your spirit for the project.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    In addition to the standard stuff, We do need an Afterburner ignition gauge upon reaching a throttle %power setting, as this model has AB. Anyone able to help in that arena? Milton will need that as well.
    It's all in the aircraft.cfg.
    afterburner_throttle_threshold=90 (or 95)

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    However they don't in P3Dv4.... I just checked... I don't have enough knowledge of gauges to know if they can be *made* to work in v4.... ( Bjoern ?.... )
    XML gauges should work just fine. C++ based ones not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    It's all in the aircraft.cfg.
    afterburner_throttle_threshold=90 (or 95)

XML gauges should work just fine. C++ based ones not at all.
    I have the afterburner working okay; not a problem.

All the gauges are working fine in P3Dv4.

Focus now is on the AB effects.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The J33-A-29 isn't your F-16 or F15 with burners just blasting out the back end. Much less power so mostly we should see the flame inside the pipe. But if anyone has effects experience I doubt it will be turned down!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

The J33-A-29 isn't your F-16 or F15 with burners just blasting out the back end. Much less power so mostly we should see the flame inside the pipe. But if anyone has effects experience I doubt it will be turned down!
    I believe I have the effects taken care of now.

EDIT: Thank you Jan for use of your F-86 Jan Rosenberg effects. They are working great now.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; November 2nd, 2017 at 15:55.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Good news Milton! As soon as I can devote more than an hour at a time in this we'll be cooking with fire in the texture side!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

VC Textures Updated

So I've gone through and removed references to obvious prop driven mechanisms. Key here was to try and blend in with the original textures, and not to try to redo them from scratch. Removed painted shadows from the main panel to allow for those with DX10 FSX or P3D to use VC shadows without it looking strange. Added placards that would be plausibly appropriate.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

How do we solve for way tiny effects in P3D? AB specifically?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

How do we solve for way tiny effects in P3D? AB specifically?

Screenshot please
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

In relation to this, do you know of anyone who has a nice MiG-17 "lick 'o flame" effect for my Bear Studios Fresco? None I've tried come anywhere near the cartoon like flame that comes out the back of Randy Ball's MiG-17! (It was especially impressive at EAA's night show last year!!) Better yet, how would one go about animating a flame effect? I'm always willing to try new things and help if possible!

Gentlemen, understand that there are only 2 pictures of the cockpit that I'm aware of. Both are of the piece in the USAF museum, and both are terribly out of focus! They are useless for reference. As such, Milton and I discussed converting the XP72 VC for use in the XF-92A. This greatly reduces production time. It also is in line with the spirit of the actual production of the real thing. Where parts were borrowed from off the shelf inventory. Also, being a test aircraft, there were no externa lights, and navigation equipment was likely lmited to a single ADF. Though I'm up for something more modern in order to facilitate use with VORs for ease of sim use.
    Would it be possible to see the USAF museum photos..?
    Really just curious...
    Last edited by Seahawk72s; November 3rd, 2017 at 23:02.

Sorry I thought it was 2, there are 4 interior shots with only ONE of the main panel... all fuzzy and and no whole shots...too bad. If someone who lives nearby would like to take some shots of the interior if possible, I would like to see it, even for just curiosity sake!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Progress

Panel lines are coming. Now that I've got everything mapped from Milton, the real work can begin! Rivets on canopy, wings complete. Fuselage started along with fuse panel lines. Can't wait to tackle the inlet. The Anti-glare shield here represents "Phase I" testing where all flights were conducted by CONVAIR test pilots only. USAF pilots including Chuck Yeager, didn't come onto the scene until "Phase II", and NACA Pilots didn't kick the Tires until "Phase III". Please note there is NO BUMPS, place holder ALPHA (so I can see the rivets), and NO SPEC, and limited fresnel in play.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Ah, all that work is starting to look like a real aircraft now. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Another AWESOME add-on coming down the pipeline!

Icon25 Pointy jets are...pointy

Interesting project! I think I built a plastic model of it when I was a lad.

Can't but help notice the fillet at the tip of the fin though. (Milton- probably too far along to worry about a little niggle like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Interesting project! I think I built a plastic model of it when I was a lad.

Can't but help notice the fillet at the tip of the fin though. (Milton- probably too far along to worry about a little niggle like that).

LOL Ole Eagle eyes. Thanks for that observation.

The left side rudder actuator housing is quite a bit smaller than the right side, I suspect after which the drawings were made.
    The right side housed two cameras and was much larger.

See the attached.

But I will reduce the left side so it is more at the appropriate size for the rudder actuator housing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Left_XF-92A_Color_3V.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Might he also be referring to the actual tip of the rudder at the top being pointy instead of rounded as in the photo? Looks like we both missed that detail... Probably easy one to miss too, because the ailerons are pointed. So it probably looked right to us both! Lol. Nice to see so many detailed oriented people here!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I will be painting both cameras Milton! Have no fear. They will be included!

What will be nice, is that we have some neat camera options for P3D, so for those users I plan on having camera locations in those positions.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

What a cool project Guys ! Can't wait to fly her ! Mike

Blog Entries
    Sorry I thought it was 2, there are 4 interior shots with only ONE of the main panel... all fuzzy and and no whole shots...too bad. If someone who lives nearby would like to take some shots of the interior if possible, I would like to see it, even for just curiosity sake!

Those look like a JJ Abrams movie with all that light bloom..

I will be painting both cameras Milton! Have no fear. They will be included!

What will be nice, is that we have some neat camera options for P3D, so for those users I plan on having camera locations in those positions.
    I think one camera was used to capture the movement of the air flow of the right wing decorated in flow strings. Not sure about the other.

I have corrected the left side rudder actuator, but will now go back and correct the tip.

Edit: now corrected and changes sent to Rick.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; November 4th, 2017 at 19:31.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Something I'm curious about that you probably know already is the elevons length. Is it a set length or does it extend to the tip of the wing? There are 3-views that support both but in this youtube video you can see it does not extend to the end of the wing. The bare metal version looks this way but maybe it was modified on the later painted white version?

Note 5:10 into this clip:

3-view showing "short" elevons.

There were 3 versions I believe. Rick can likely explain it better but I modeled them per the 3 sets of 3-views I have. We are aware that there was a different set for trial to try to fix the massive pitch up issue they were experiencing.

EDIT: I have pictures of the bare metal version that shows it both ways so they apparently changed to full width fairly early. All the painted versions show a full width elevon.

EDIT: there were also several different sets of wing fences used. We modeled with and without as an option.

There were also different camera setups in case you find one that is different. I have pics with none, one, and two cameras. This was a test machine and a lot of changes took place.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 0