Convair Delta Wing Test - Page 3
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Convair Delta Wing Test

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Engine data may be a bit of a problem, but the J33 allows extrapolation from data for other aircraft (T-33, P-80, etc.).

No point in defining a delta planform in the FDE when you need to determine its aerodynamic characteristics by coefficients (C_L, C_d, etc.) in the .air file and aircraft.cfg anyway. Same for elevator influences in terms of pitch acceleration, moment and drag increase.
    FSX flight dynamics reference (minus engine-related things): http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/resourc...msfs-v1-0.169/

The worst thing about making FDEs is having to fill gaps (usually a lot and very wide) in source data with a lot of time-consuming trial and error.

Some charts containing aircraft characteristics are displayed in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKQ87g4SsQ
    Yeahhh, FDE's are cascade after cascade of variables effecting other variables and changing them on the fly. We all WISH they could be set in stone, but that'll never happen. The laws of physics just wont allow it.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Some wire frames to share here; I know some folks like to see such things.
    AWESOME!

Hugely appreciated, and duly downloaded/stored to where I cherrish such treasures. :-)

Thank YOU, My Friend - most heartening to see you testing exciting new waters.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Yeahhh, FDE's are cascade after cascade of variables effecting other variables and changing them on the fly. We all WISH they could be set in stone, but that'll never happen. The laws of physics just wont allow it.
    I wish there was an external tool for deriving steady state data from an aircraft.cfg and .air file. AJPC and AirWizEd already do this, but only in relatively isolated areas of the FDE.
    The worst and most time consuming thing about flight testing in FSX is always having to accelerate toward the test point after an aircraft reload because FSX doesn't save engine spool state.

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    Josh,
    Paul Clawson made one (FSDSv3, for FS2004) back in 2005. It flys well in FSX. I did not use Rob's VTOL Gauge - made my own FDEs, Turbo-Prop. Here is a video of it landing on Tokyo Skyscraper Helo Pad in FSX Accel. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr5xjupE3MU . But you have to learn to fly it and most simmers don't have the time or patience to learn how to fly it. Flys like a helicopter so there is a learning curve. But it's 'airplane' not helicopter FDEs.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Edit: Found the link to video of it flying in FS2004. Link: https://youtu.be/VP8EdVX6LdU
    That was a pretty tight landing spot! Does it have a VC? I'd like to know just how hard of a time Skeets had backing one of these down!

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    AWESOME!

Hugely appreciated, and duly downloaded/stored to where I cherrish such treasures. :-)

Thank YOU, My Friend - most heartening to see you testing exciting new waters.

LOL Nigel; I knew you would like them. :-) Thanks

Finished the exterior animations and now ready to map for textures. Yeaaaa! :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2017-oct-26-004.jpg   ms-2017-oct-27-005.jpg   ms-2017-oct-27-006.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hi Stéph,

I must leave that decision to Rick as I believe he has someone to do it already.

Thanks for your offer; will keep it in mind.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Woohoo, up to the texture stage. I'm looking forward to it being painted as the "MiG-23" (fictional) from the movie Jet Pilot.

Milton's hard work. Mapping in work.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Nice shots Rick. Now, if we can find a pilot brave enough to pilot her. :-)

Anyone have a late 40's - early 50's pilot figure (at least head and helmet with oxy mask) to donate? Able to convert to Gmax is necessary.

Here's a pic of what we are looking for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails late 40s-early50s helmetmask.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi Milton,
    no problem at all!!!
    If you ever need his knowledge, Jean-Pierre Bourgeois is really very good at creating flight dynamics.
    Anyway, I'll be looking forward to the development of this beauty!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Steph! Thank you for the offer. I may take you up on it. More to come.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Some guy named Yeagor contacted me about being a test pilot but not sure he has the credentials. I referred him to Rick. :-)

Borrowing parts to build a VC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2017-oct-27-011.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Some guy named Yeagor contacted me about being a test pilot but not sure he has the credentials. I referred him to Rick. :-)

Borrowing parts to build a VC.
    Just like thre real thing Milton. For those unaware the real one used parts from many different aircraft to reduce development and production time.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Maybe John Terrell has an old discarded pilot model that won't be making it into future WBS products? LOL....I can dream!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Interesting video:
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

She should be ready for the paint shop today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2017-oct-28-004.jpg   ms-2017-oct-28-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I'm begining to believe that Milton is in fact 3 people, maybe triplets, all called Milton and all superb aeroplane makers. If not how could one man be so prodigious? I do love a good conspiracy theory
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

The paint shop is ready for the removal, rinse, acid wash, rinse, masking, application, and curing! Paint mixed, and sprayers loaded!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    The paint shop is ready for the removal, rinse, acid wash, rinse, masking, application, and curing! Paint mixed, and sprayers loaded!

On its way
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

On its way
    Looking at the real life photos, I think this front gear piece faces the rear of the aircraft. -d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2017-oct-27-005.jpg  
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

On its way
    Got it! Thanks Milton. The beauty of this one, is that Milton has been able to fit everything nicely and efficiently for exterior onto one texture sheet! That means way less work time for me, and quicker turn around. Since I'm only now dealing with 6 total texture creations. Diffuse, Diffuse Alpha, Specular, Specular Alpha, and Bumps. hopefully start work on this tonight in earnest. I'm setting of the PSD's right now so that I can create a good paint kit when released. Hoepfully we can get some good what if schemes when ready!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Looking at the real life photos, I think this front gear piece faces the rear of the aircraft. -d
    LOL Good catch there dvj!

It's funny. In FS9, the c_wheel is animated 100-200 and at animation Keyframe 100, it would display as in the sim facing correctly.
    In FSX, that part is animated from 0-200 and at Keyframe 100, it displays backwards so I did not catch that I had it backwards since it showed 180 degrees around. :-)

EDIT: Corrected - LOL
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mapping is nearly done. Milton is a pro and inventive on the fly. I hope to do right by him and his work. This is a project I have long wanted to see happen. I'm very grateful Milton was willing to get involved in such a big way. Thanks Milton!

BTW I think we still are in need of a vintage pilot figure out at least helmet, oxy mask and goggles.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Mapping is nearly done. Milton is a pro and inventive on the fly. I hope to do right by him and his work. This is a project I have long wanted to see happen. I'm very grateful Milton was willing to get involved in such a big way. Thanks Milton!
    Rick, you did a lot of research and have been incredibly helpful to make my part easy. I have worked with some great people over the years and I now put you in that category.

Thank you
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Materials test. Working very well. Moving ahead with painting.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 1