Convair Delta Wing Test - Page 11
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Convair Delta Wing Test

Freeware designers have holidays, and families too ! Give them a break for crying out loud.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Freeware designers have holidays, and families too ! Give them a break for crying out loud.
    Sue
    Gee. That's funny. I thought this was a public forum and the question was legitimate. Guess I'm in the wrong place.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Of course we appreciate your interest. Although my part is done on this mostly, I suspect Rick's status is still as posted above, post#246. I haven't heard from him since just before Christmas but I'm sure kids and work have kept him busy over the holidays. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Great progress on the paints! Rick, a little remark from a fellow painter; it seems to me that the font for the "2" in the "XF-92" and 6682 does not match the pictures I have seen of the aircraft. At least the Amarillo USAF font I have is often more just a starting point for hand made numbers, particular the numbers 2 and 7 were to my knowledge different back in the 50s-60s on USAF aircraft than seen in the computer font. A very small detail on a marvellous looking aircraft.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Milton:
    Here's a 1953 NACA photo of the XF-92A with wing fences clearly shown,

amongst other contemporary X-planes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early X-planes - 1953.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    Milton:
    Here's a 1953 NACA photo of the XF-92A with wing fences clearly shown,

amongst other contemporary X-planes.

That's a great photo Sir; thank you for sharing it. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

When one considers the content & context of that photo, it's not hard to understand why U.F.O. reports significantly spiked in that part of the world, during that time period.....

Sorry for the lack of progress reports. Milton is correct. With 3 small kids, job and Christmas break it's been busy around the house. I had wanted to start on more fine tuning off the FDE but found myself burned out on working on it combined with everything going on. So I've put some energies into the DCS Sabre texturing over the Holiday break for a small change of pace. Now that I'm back at work and into a regular routine I will be back in the XF92 again. Texturing is basically complete. I will look into your fonts though, is like them to look correct. Thank you for the detailed observation. I can't wait to get this one out there. Love the history behind the old research planes and what they made happen going forward in time!

Regarding the wing fences in that photo, I sent it to Milton a few weeks back and you'll be pleased to note that those fences are the ones modeled. They are precise in size and shape now after I stumbled upon the shake and dimensions in one of my flight test reports.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

This is top drawer stuff, everyone! Really appreciate the work being put into this! Huzzah!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Time to revisit

Hello all. Sorry for the delay. I got caught up in DCS stuff over the Holiday break. Still not completely done with that, but getting back to the XF-92A. I'm starting in on the FDE. Made a few additional small adjustments to my OA (shadows). Just needing the Pilot to be inserted now. And I believe the modeling action will be complete. Here's some screens to hold you over! Phase I, II & III

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Great progress on the paints! Rick, a little remark from a fellow painter; it seems to me that the font for the "2" in the "XF-92" and 6682 does not match the pictures I have seen of the aircraft. At least the Amarillo USAF font I have is often more just a starting point for hand made numbers, particular the numbers 2 and 7 were to my knowledge different back in the 50s-60s on USAF aircraft than seen in the computer font. A very small detail on a marvellous looking aircraft.
    True. If you use the commercial version of the Amarillo Pro USAF font you'll find that there are multiple variations to several of the numbers and letters (seven versions of "7" for example).
    From the link I provided you can probably get what you need just by copying it and working with that. That's what I would do if I didn't already have it.

The screenshots over the southwest US are looking really nice.

[QUOTE=000rick000;1122462]Hello all. Sorry for the delay. I got caught up in DCS stuff over the Holiday break. Still not completely done with that, but getting back to the XF-92A. I'm starting in on the FDE. Made a few additional small adjustments to my OA (shadows). Just needing the Pilot to be inserted now. And I believe the modeling action will be complete. Here's some screens to hold you over! Phase I, II & III

Thanks so much for the update, much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    You guys wouldnt consider making a version of that Bell X-3 for an old timer like me wouldja???

I love X planes Pam, but it would really be up to Milton. I don't have much research material on that jet.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    it was a powerplant test platform, and well, mostly a failure as it was underpowered. It's just a very beautiful aircraft in my eyes, and worthy of a place in out ranks.. I'd be most happy to do the research and find what there is about it, pictures doc's everything. And not to sound biased or anything, but if Milton built it, I would be perhaps the happiest person on earth. He didnt know it at the time, but he was responsible for convincing me these planes could be made to fly realistically and that they werent just game pieces.. That was for me, a long time ago, but yeah, he got me interested and kept me interested in flight sim..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    it was a powerplant test platform, and well, mostly a failure as it was underpowered. It's just a very beautiful aircraft in my eyes, and worthy of a place in out ranks.. I'd be most happy to do the research and find what there is about it, pictures doc's everything. And not to sound biased or anything, but if Milton built it, I would be perhaps the happiest person on earth. He didnt know it at the time, but he was responsible for convincing me these planes could be made to fly realistically and that they werent just game pieces.. That was for me, a long time ago, but yeah, he got me interested and kept me interested in flight sim..
    Oddly, probably it's greatest contribution to aeronautics was in exploration of inertial roll-yaw coupling. I completely agree about it's appearance, it looks like something out of a comic book and I mean that in a good way. Of course, then we'll need an X-4 and an X-5 as well. Oh, and then the swept wing Skystreaks, and....

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird....it's a plane....it's a STILETTO Can hardly wait for the XF-92A and I agree with everyone so far, the Stiletto would be a great addition to these X-Planes.

Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Blog Entries
    Ditto on the XF-92.. And apologies.. X-3 was my first love as an 8 year old kid with a tube of glue .. That was a very long time ago ..

Whatever happened to this one? Will it ever see the light of day? Last status post was back on January 19th. Sure looking forward to this one.
    -- WH

Still looking for a good 3-view with cross sections if I am to model this. No need for me to put in a lot of time on this if I can't get it right.

However, Bjoern thinks he can do the model justice just by eye-balling it, so maybe he will do it. :-)
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; February 2nd, 2018 at 16:57.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Still looking for a good 3-view with cross sections if I am to model this. No need for me to out in a lot of time on this if I can't get it right.

However, Bjoern thinks he can do the model justice just by eye-balling it, so maybe he will do it. :-)
    Milton I hope you are referring to the X-3 not the XF-92A.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Milton I hope you are referring to the X-3 not the XF-92A.
    LOL Yes, I thought he was asking about the X-3.

Rick will have to address the question about the XF-92A; it is completely in his hands now.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Confusing it is..

Yes, I was referring to the XF-92A. With all those beautiful screenshots one could only want more.
    -- WH

Milton if your in search of a project, a fsx native lodestar or PV-1 would be a great addition to P3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Still looking for a good 3-view with cross sections if I am to model this. No need for me to put in a lot of time on this if I can't get it right.

Unless you clone me, hook me up to machinery to keep my bodily functions up and constantly inject me with amphetamines so that I can tackle the X-3 next to all the other stuff I'm doing, I absolutely won't.

Members who have read this thread: 1