Flight Replicas Douglas DC-4/C-54/Carvair Released - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Flight Replicas Douglas DC-4/C-54/Carvair Released

Quote Originally Posted by Penz View Post
    Lovely Danish paints Jens-Ole!

They give me a great urge to replace my beloved JBK model (that I modified for P3DV4 myself ...).
    Thanks! I think the danish scheme looks very good on the C-54! It was quite a job to research all the decals associated with the rescue marking around windows and cuttable sections. The decals are in both english and danish and are different from all other c-54 rescue decals i have seen.

As you probably know so was the black painted walkways a bit different on the danish 54’ (longer and 3 sections among things), do you have any pictures of the top of the wing showing where the walkway ended and/or if it overlapped the dayglo?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Are these posted somewhere for download??
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

There are many pictures of the Danish C-54's here (after the ones of C-47's), but sadly not really a good overwing one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/alfblu...57640929346985
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

A lot of nice pictures, thanks for bringing them to the forum

Thanks, one of them shows the upper wing 👍

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Mine isn't finished yet, real life interfering big time.. hopefully this weekend, a bit more patience please..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    ...a bit more patience please..
    Always.. Just anxious for your wonderful textures...
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Just around of making N708Z. WIP in an early stage.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post

I should be uploading my one tonight

Repaint request (Olympic Airways)

Hello everyone,

Can a fellow fs-painter help with a repaint for this great a/c with the Olympic Airways classic livery?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a744228bf8162d167914a370b42abf59.jpg  

Telly...any idea where in Greece these pictures are taken?

Request for PAA & United Liveries

This is a long worded request for a late 40's/early 50's repaint of PAA & United Air Lines.

About a month before Mike released his C-54/DC-4 I started the 1947 "Round the World" schedule, Flight #4, with PAA. This left New York and proceeded through Europe using a Connie (I used the A2A L049) until it arrived in Calcutta...whereby the passengers were transferred to a DC-4, after staying overnight, for the balance of the trip to KSFO. So now I have 44 passengers and a crew in Calcutta with no PAA DC-4 to get them out. Would really appreciate someone doing a PAA repaint for that era so I can get everyone home. Than I need the UAL repaint to get them from KSFO back home to New York (PAA was not authorized to fly passengers between these cities in 1947).

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Telly...any idea where in Greece these pictures are taken?
    If I had to guess, it would be Hellenikon Airport (LGAT) before the east international terminal was built (between 1960 and 1969).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellini...tional_Airport

Looking online the only reference to that particular scheme telly was for a dc6 not a dc4

that must have just happened during the final days of the two dc4s

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    Looking online the only reference to that particular scheme telly was for a dc6 not a dc4

that must have just happened during the final days of the two dc4s
    The old OA logo (with the iconic bird) was phased out around 1958-59 with the newer Olympic circles.

"Douglas C-54 Skymaster, SX-DAC / 27336, Olympic Airways (OA / OAL) Taken on 1957 at LHR/EGLL)"
    Photo source: https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1182419

"Douglas DC-4 SX-BAG at Corfu in the late 1950s - Peter Goodearl"
    Photo source: Airline History (not operational)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1182419-large.jpg   3pln3561.jpg  

Telly, there was IMHO no Olympic Airways SX-BAG around. This should be SX-DAG which has this paint scheme in 1966, shortly before sold to Balair in January 1967 as HB-ILD. The second Olympic Airways, a C-54G SX-DAC, was also sold 1967, wearing at least this "modern" Olympic scheme.

Perhaps this could help.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by TiAr View Post
    Telly, there was IMHO no Olympic Airways SX-BAG around. This should be SX-DAG which has this paint scheme in 1966, shortly before sold to Balair in January 1967 as HB-ILD. The second Olympic Airways, a C-54G SX-DAC, was also sold 1967, wearing at least this "modern" Olympic scheme.

Perhaps this could help.

Thomas
    That will help

I will start on that one tonight as ive done both DAC schemes in TAE and olympic

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    That will help

I will start on that one tonight as ive done both DAC schemes in TAE and olympic
    Wow, thank you for taking the time to paint this bird!

And Thomas, you're absolutely right about the registration, it's supposed to be SX-DAG.
    SX-BAG was a Douglas DC-3 (C-47) which had the reputation of being the first commercial aircraft to be hijacked in history (or so they say!).

Another little tidbit of information about Greek aircraft registration is the use of the third letter as to how many engines the aircraft had:
    A = 1, B = 2, C = 3, D = 4 and so on (Examples would be SX-BAG as a DC-3, SX-DAG as a DC-4, SX-CBA as a Boeing 727-2xx)
    This was used during the late fifties throughout the mid-70's but later abandoned, with a few cases which didn't follow this rule during the period.

Mike,

First of all congratulate on a marvellous package! Doing the RDAF paint I came across a small texture mapping issue for the engines:

A great deal of both USAF and other military users had a Propeller danger line decal painted on the inner engine cowling to show the propeller of the outboard engine. With the current mapping it is the same texture for both inner and outer cowling which makes this impossible to paint without getting the decal on both cowlings. Any change for a separate texture for inner/outer cowling for the military C-54s?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

JensOle,

you can only paint one engine, but this mapped all four. So I decided to left these things out. I am sure Matt thought the same with his great repaints...

Thomas

That was the reason for asking Mike about it.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    That was the reason for asking Mike about it.
    The model was so close to the limits of what I could compile that even 5-10 extra polygons or one extra 50kf animation was enough to stop things. As so few users had different paint schemes on the engine cowls, mapping these is one area that I chose to simplify.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Telly View Post
    Wow, thank you for taking the time to paint this bird!

And Thomas, you're absolutely right about the registration, it's supposed to be SX-DAG.
    SX-BAG was a Douglas DC-3 (C-47) which had the reputation of being the first commercial aircraft to be hijacked in history (or so they say!).

Another little tidbit of information about Greek aircraft registration is the use of the third letter as to how many engines the aircraft had:
    A = 1, B = 2, C = 3, D = 4 and so on (Examples would be SX-BAG as a DC-3, SX-DAG as a DC-4, SX-CBA as a Boeing 727-2xx)
    This was used during the late fifties throughout the mid-70's but later abandoned, with a few cases which didn't follow this rule during the period.
    I havent forgotten about this paint, Ive just been limited on time

this is where i am on a template before transferring it to the paintkit I know the word Olympic is a tad too bold, i will tone that down

Update: Repaint working on N708Z Brooks Air is going on. But I am not really happy with it... But I do it!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by mgchrist5 View Post
    Out now on the FR website directly. Looks quite nice! Really looking forward to the Carvair in particular...

http://flight-replicas.com/DC-4_Home.htm
    Can somebody please verify if this model has window reflections or a subtle opacity of windshields in the virtual cockpitc ? Checked a lot of screenshots but i am still not sure. Thank you and kind regards, Thomas

Members who have read this thread: 2