Man threatened with prison for collecting rainwater!

Thread: Man threatened with prison for collecting rainwater!

Man threatened with prison for collecting rainwater!

I stumbled across this story while surfing a bit this morning. What kind of insanity is it that an obscure 1935 state law makes it illegal to collect rain water in retention ponds on one's own property?

Especially since firefighters have used this gentleman's ponds over the years while fighting fires in the area!

https://youtu.be/_jnwhJ3X1Qg?t=6m31s
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Seems like a case of stupidity on the part of the authorities. It also seems like a set-up when the jury were denied evidence that would have thrown the case out of court. So if this is the case, if you build a back-yard fish pond in Oregon do the State own the water in it even if it is filled by collected rainwater?

I hope he gets his sentence and any fines squashed.
    Larry

Larry, what about swimming pools? Do they not have those in Oregon? What an insane law!

BTW, I linked directly to this last part of the video for the purpose of this thread, but the first half is likewise insane...

You see, in the first half of the video is the story of a man who was jailed because the PTBs where he lives ordered him to remove his tiny wind turbine. While he did take it down, he was jailed in contempt of court for not also removing the concrete base!

What kind of country are we becoming anyway?
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Hide the Facts

This country is not getting 'Great'. There is no law. You can munipilate the system. Steal $30 K and get off (facts were hidden-cooked books). Molest a minor and get re-assigned. Move into a hourse (not your own, whether paying rent or not) and not be evicted by legal owners. Any questions?
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    Move into a hourse (not your own, whether paying rent or not) and not be evicted by legal owners. Any questions?
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Yeah, Chuck....What's a hourse? I sure don't want to move into a horse, maybe a house!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Maybe a hourse house?
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Seems like a case of stupidity on the part of the authorities. It also seems like a set-up when the jury were denied evidence that would have thrown the case out of court. So if this is the case, if you build a back-yard fish pond in Oregon do the State own the water in it even if it is filled by collected rainwater?

I hope he gets his sentence and any fines squashed.
    im pretty sure that every where in the USA water ways,ponds lakes,even a privately owned man made pond is under the authority of the US fish and game,you cant fish anywhere in the us without a proper license.as far as collecting rainwater,that is pretty stupid,BUT if they can prove that the diversion of the rain water "robs" a natural water shed,then you cant do it.something most people dont understand is that fresh water is becoming scarce. here in placer county cal,its illegal to put a pipe on a rain gutter and collect it in a barrel,even if you want it for drinking water,its not yours to use.you cant put even a small hydro plant on a private stream (that you think is yours as its on your property)to produce electricity.PG&E 9 Pacific graft and extortion ) will sue you and send federal authorities on you,we did a house in the late 1970s,the man had a well drilled,used heat exchangers to heat and cool his house,and then the "waist" water was collected into a large pond,he had proper permits and it was all approved etc.in the late 1990s,he was charged with a crime of "stealing and misusing ground water for un approved purposes" ,he was arrested and jailed for not complying with a court order,which was served to him AFTER he was arrested.he was istting in a holding cell when a deputy served him.he happens to be a very wealthy man,and when he got some really high profile attorneys to step in ,all charges were dropped,but he had to dismantle the system ( i did it,installed it and removed it) because he was taking away from PG&Es right to charge him electricity usage to heat and cool his home.

btw the california aqueduct which serves southern cal with fresh water,comes from lake oroville,the one with the broken spillway,up here in norcal,la had already drained and distroyed the owens valley ,made it a desert,and theyre trying to do it up here now,we have shortages all the time,yet those in la have all they want,to use in a natural desert.

I'm not going to say anything because my comment would involve words such as "central", "USSR", and "planning", then comes the lock, but y'all get the gist.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

This happened a while back, but the fact remains, Oregon is bat **** crazy. Lived there for pretty much all my life, used to be level headed, right of center ideals. Then somewhere back in the 60's it slowly became more liberal, progressive state of mind. This past spring just couldn't take another year of it and moved to Idaho, best thing I've done for my well being

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    [he had to dismantle the system ( i did it,installed it and removed it) because he was taking away from PG&Es right to charge him electricity usage to heat and cool his home.]

I believe everything you said, knowing what kind of folks seemed to have gravitated as staff toward federal and state environmental agencies in the last 20 years or so. I'm just wondering how this squares with what I heard about power companies being obligated to buy back any electricity you generate beyond your needs using solar panels, etc. I heard that too was Federally-mandated and they were outraged by it, and trying hard to get that provision in the regs thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    I believe everything you said, knowing what kind of folks seemed to have gravitated as staff toward federal and state environmental agencies in the last 20 years or so. I'm just wondering how this squares with what I heard about power companies being obligated to buy back any electricity you generate beyond your needs using solar panels, etc. I heard that too was Federally-mandated and they were outraged by it, and trying hard to get that provision in the regs thrown out.
    Yes, that is indeed the case, but there is a huge downside to this scheme. You see, if the power grid is down for any reason, your solar and or wind power must be automatically disconnected from the power grid. This is because if your system is feeding power towards the grid, it becomes a danger to the power company's personnel working on the lines, transformers, et cetera.

The only alternative simply adds more cost to your system and involves inserting an automatic transfer switch to the home power system that disconnects from the grid, but continues to power your home (or office). Upon restoral of the power grid, the system will automatically resume normal operation.

I have a natural gas powered generator for emergency power. When the mains go down, the generator starts automatically and the transfer switch likewise disconnects and isolates the meter, and switches over to the generator's output.

With regards to the point I raised in the opening post, it was the insanity of forcing this gentleman to remove and fill in the retention ponds, thereby eliminating a ready source of water for fire fighting helicopters! It's not as though this man was using any of the water himself!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Quote Originally Posted by av8erjm View Post
    This happened a while back, but the fact remains, Oregon is bat **** crazy. Lived there for pretty much all my life, used to be level headed, right of center ideals. Then somewhere back in the 60's it slowly became more liberal, progressive state of mind. This past spring just couldn't take another year of it and moved to Idaho, best thing I've done for my well being
    It always amuses me when people, nations, whatever describe themselves as - liberal, democratic, progressive are inevitably the complete opposite in reality.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    It always amuses me when people, nations, whatever describe themselves as - liberal, democratic, progressive are inevitably the complete opposite in reality.
    Yep.
    Once, where we live, there wasn't a house to be seen - now, there are 6 around us, and the bloody rules and regulations are starting to slowly creep in with an imbecilic local council. Time to sell up and move out.....10 acres ain't enough......100 acres maybe in the middle of nowhere and built a shed in the middle of it with solar panels and batteries.
    New houses on properties around our way have to have 100,000 litres of water storage minimum (26,500 gals US) - there is no scheme water, and we get a darn sight less rain than Oregon. I guess the intent of the law was good enough, it's just the small minded, pedantic interpretation, to satisfy some small time beauracrat's need for a power trip that is the problem - and that's not a US only problem....

Members who have read this thread: 0