FSX Native Douglas A-20 Havoc Released - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: FSX Native Douglas A-20 Havoc Released

Blog Entries
    Update on the metal skins and bumps Milton.

I worked with a number of albedo/alpha, bump/alpha and specular/alpha combinations last night, and this morning. I also worked with about a dozen Fresnel ramps and GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome maps. The various combinations took the skin just about where ever I wanted it to go, darker, brighter, shinier, duller, reflectivity and specular intensities etc.

Bottom line from my chair is, your settings are about spot on in the middle. I wouldn't change anything and stick with that setup for any other metal skins for the other variants.

It looks like the new bumps are acceptable, so I'll finish those up for all of the variants. The PK is good to go, so no changes necessary there. IMO

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Update on the metal skins and bumps Milton.

I worked with a number of albedo/alpha, bump/alpha and specular/alpha combinations last night, and this morning. I also worked with about a dozen Fresnel ramps and GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome maps. The various combinations took the skin just about where ever I wanted it to go, darker, brighter, shinier, duller, reflectivity and specular intensities etc.

Bottom line from my chair is, your settings are about spot on in the middle. I wouldn't change anything and stick with that setup for any other metal skins for the other variants.

It looks like the new bumps are acceptable, so I'll finish those up for all of the variants. The PK is good to go, so no changes necessary there. IMO

Ah, thank you Sir for the extra efforts all around.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Nearly there...............

Yep I have also noticed some small things to adjust, but the main job is finished......

Cheers,
    Huub

The screen shots just don't do the bump maps justice, so I thought a video would show the plane better.

These are the new flush rivet normal maps on the metal skin model. The skin is still a basic color study and adjustments will most likely be needed in spec alpha and other areas, but it is effective for showing the contours.

The entire texture set, including the bumps is done at 4K DXT5 resolution. I initially resized the entire paint kit to 4K before beginning any work. The small detail holds really well using this approach.
    I used a trick or two on the alpha channels for the metal skin. I used a slightly different alpha value for the rivets themselves to produce the lighting differences as the point of view moves.

For the painters, the bumps should do most of the heavy lifting in Prepar3D. The light engine will catch the edges of the flush rivets due to the nature of the map itself. I put a perfectly flat spot at the center of each dimple, which will generate a subtle highlight or shadow, depending on movement. On a matte skin the effect will still work in relation to the dull finish, eliminating the need for a bunch of detailing in the baked rivets in the paint work.

The effect won't be as pronounced in FSX. If you have Steve's DX10 fixer the effect should be a bit more lively.

Let me know what you think of the bump profiles.
    If we sign off on this set I'll go ahead and publish the new bump sets.

Yes, I definitely like these !
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Yep I have also noticed some small things to adjust, but the main job is finished......

Cheers,
    Huub
    Looking good Huub!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Blog Entries
    One quick question Milton.

Fabric panels:

Were there any fabric panels, or was this an all metal airplane?
    It appears that certain parts of the rudder, elevators and possibly ailerons had fabric sections, but I'm striking out finding data on that.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

One quick question Milton.

Fabric panels:

Were there any fabric panels, or was this an all metal airplane?
    It appears that certain parts of the rudder, elevators and possibly ailerons had fabric sections, but I'm striking out finding data on that.

Gordon,

All fabric as noted in the attached. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aileron.jpg   elevator.jpg   rudder.bmp  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Gordon,

All fabric as noted in the attached. Thanks

Thank you sir...got 'em.
    Thomas Jefferson

would be fun to create a download pack with all the textures so far for the A-20 Wouldnt be that hard to do i may download some skins and do that
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Blog Entries
    The metal look is at a place where I'm satisfied with the results. I spent quite a bit of time with the albedo/alphas, specular and normal maps. The metal skin looks and acts very natural in the sim at these settings.

Some shots of the final revisions in P3Dv4

Thomas Jefferson

Exquisitely crafted Gordon; looks just right all over!

Thanks for all your investment in this one.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Gordon , that 2nd screenshot is divine !!! Mike

Gorgeous Gordon... Looks amazing!

[QUOTE=********;1109648]The metal look is at a place where I'm satisfied with the results. I spent quite a bit of time with the albedo/alphas, specular and normal maps. The metal skin looks and acts very natural in the sim at these settings.

Some shots of the final revisions in P3Dv4

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Exquisitely crafted Gordon; looks just right all over!

Thanks for all your investment in this one.
    I can only second that. Stunning outcome. Best metal job I think I have ever seen in FS.

Stunning images. Brilliant work, Gordon!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Wow Gordon, that is really beautiful

I have been "Miss Behaven", which can be found in the library, there is a FSX and a FS2004 version.

Cheers,
    Huub

wow Gordon, so beautiful..
    I can only hope you make this available for use.

Miss Behavin looks great too, Huub!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    wow Gordon, so beautiful..
    I can only hope you make this available for use.

Miss Behavin looks great too, Huub!
    Absolutely...!

I'll make a basis skin with no markings, and the one as shown in the screen caps.
    Thomas Jefferson

The metal look is at a place where I'm satisfied with the results. I spent quite a bit of time with the albedo/alphas, specular and normal maps. The metal skin looks and acts very natural in the sim at these settings.
    Extremely high WOW! effect on this one Gordon! Exquisite is an appropriate term, Milton!
    Duckie

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Wow Gordon, that is really beautiful

I have been "Miss Behaven", which can be found in the library, there is a FSX and a FS2004 version.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Another outstanding paint Huub. Thank you.
    Duckie

Perfection "G"... outstanding metal work!!!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I love these repaints. After researching original photo material for the P-61 Black Widow I thought I'd give the Havoc a try, too. Turned out to be pretty fruitful (and time intensive).

I mainly tried to focus on nose art / repaint relevant and technical images. The 74 highres photos are here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...DhxdXE4dThBWGM

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Uploading these as I write. The files contain 2k and 4k textures for each version for FSX and P3D. A separate archive containing both the 1944 version and the restored is also available for FS9.

I neglected to mention - a big thanks to Huub and Gordon for sharing their expertise (and some of their files) on the weathering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hell N Pelican II 1944.jpg   Hell N Pelican II Restored.jpg  
    Last edited by wellis; October 28th, 2017 at 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by wellis View Post
    Uploading these as I write. The files contain 2k and 4k textures for each version for FSX and P3D. A separate archive containing both the 1944 version and the restored is also available for FS9.

Ahhh, beautiful work Sir, both versions. Be proud to have them in my hangar.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 2