Just Flight/AH DHC-3 Otter released!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Flight/AH DHC-3 Otter released!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Just Flight/AH DHC-3 Otter released!

https://www.justflight.com/product/dhc3-otter

The DHC-3 Otter is a single engine, high-wing aircraft designed for short take-off and landing (STOL) operations. Developed as a successor to the popular DHC-2 Beaver, it shares the same configuration but with a larger wing, fuselage and a significantly greater operating weight. It is powered by a R-1340 radial engine and it can seat up to eleven passengers and a variety of cargo, including ski-doos and motocross bikes destined for remote areas which are inaccessible to less rugged aircraft. A total of 466 were built between 1951 and 1967.

This DHC-3 Otter package includes wheel, amphibian, float and ski variants of the aircraft, and classic and modern cockpit configurations.

Modelled using real-world plans, the aircraft feature multiple animations and a highly detailed engine. The faithfully recreated virtual cockpit features 3D instrumentation, wear and tear, and realistic systems functionality.

A variety of civilian and military paint schemes for each variant, realistic flight dynamics and an authentic radial engine sound set complete this extensive package.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I was looking at the screenshots on the JF website, I don't see any ground shadows, does anyone see this in there sims?
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I was looking at the screenshots on the JF website, I don't see any ground shadows, does anyone see this in there sims?
    No problems here, and I see some in the JF screenshots as well.

..... was my take on the Milviz announcing their Beaver thread...(and got my ears clipped..) Glad that's been set straight now finally !!

There's been Beavers in FS ever since we've been givin the opportunity to create our own stuff. Otters mostly neglected. One wonderful DHC-3 Otter model in FS95/98. That's it ( i'd rather leave the Virtualcol atempt out of the quotation..)

So, i think it's safe to say that the second wonderful DHC-3 Otter model is finally here ! Thanks very much AH/JF !

Wonderful but certainly not perfect ( what is ?...) atleast sofar. There's still quite some work to do on the flight dynamics. F.i. as soon as you touch the prop levers in flight she'll start bucking like a happy calf that's just been released in the meadow. And i can't believe that the real Otter behaves so heavy and sluggish in a turn ( and that's just with the wheeled version...) Should resemble the Beaver a bit, shouldn't it ?

On the otter hand ( sorry..;-) however, the external model is excellent and the VC is very nice as well. Nice touch is that you'll get an AP in the modern cockpit. What will be interesting to see is how the pilots will manage to step out of the cockpit... Seems like they'll have to fold themselves in half to do that. Seems like the dev wanted to avoid to fall into the trap of the too small pilot figures syndrom at all cost. I'm also not sure about a female top fashion model needing a job as a Otter co-pilot on the side. ;-)

One of the nice and interesting features of the Otter IMHO are the two big bare-metal exhaust pipes at either side of the nose and their nicely shaped front cover. Certainly very well executed by AH, apart from the exhaust texture alas... They should look like this:

Apart from that, really great to be able to say "Nice Otter!" instead of "Nice Beaver!" for a change ! About time too ! Thanks a lot again AH/JF !!

Until later i suppose..

Cheers,
    Jan

Scratch the bit about the pilot figures being too big.It's fine. Sorry. : https://youtu.be/xDdC4YEcFsg?t=3m5s

I agree on the exhausts Jan, they are a tad OTT, so I have reworked them and will form part of a "quick-fix" SP I'm working on right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails floatA.jpg   FloatB.jpg   Amphib.jpg  

Hello,

It looks like the installer doesn't put the external lights effect into FSX.
    I had no lights in FSX until I copied the effects from the P3D v4 folder.
    There seems to be no VC lighting at all unless it is night time.
    I have added this to the empty lights section of the aircraft.cfg file, so at least I can see when
    the weather is overcast.

light.0 = 10, 3.35, -1.1, 3.2, fx_vclightGreH ,

I am no pilot and have never even seen a real world Otter but I am guessing that it doesn't
    stall if the throttle or prop rpm are reduced from maximum at a climb rate of 700 fpm.
    Maybe they do but mine needs more power.
    Regards,
    Nick

The standard Otter is no greyhound. It is much bigger and heavier than the Beaver with not a great deal more power. As for your stalling issue, what altitude are you at? have you leaned off the mixture to compensate?

Thanks.
    I expect that I will get used to it.
    Are the lights effects missing from the FSX installation?
    Regards,
    Nick

Hi Nick,

We're looking into the effects/lights now.

Thanks
    Martyn
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

An updated installer is now available in your Just Flight account which will improve the modelling/texturing of the exhausts as well as fixing a minor issue with the seat belts.

The paint kit is now available to download - https://www.justflight.com/support/dhc3-otter/f7791cf

Thanks
    Martyn
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

Well done, Baz, Martyn ! She looks fantastic ! Thanks !!

But please have another look at the FD as well ?... ( prop control bucking, too sluggish in turns, itchy Overspeed warning ?... )

Thanks a lot !

cheers,
    jan

Installed the update this morning and just finished a flight with Alexandair, modern cockpit model.

Love it.

Noted some issues and just created a support ticket.
    Last edited by WarHorse47; October 13th, 2017 at 08:02.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post

But please have another look at the FD as well ?... ( prop control bucking, too sluggish in turns, itchy Overspeed warning ?... )
    Normal operating limit speed is 144 mph for the landplane and just 134 mph for the seaplane according to the manual.

"Normal cruising flight operations should be confined to speeds below this value."

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Normal operating limit speed is 144 mph for the landplane and just 134 mph for the seaplane according to the manual.

"Normal cruising flight operations should be confined to speeds below this value."
    Yessir, certainly. Landplane cruise speed 125 mph at say 5000 ft, overspeed warning at 130... Just thought for a rugged aeroplane like the Otter a little belitteling ( Ohhhh......don't break me!....)

Most important is the bucking after setting the prop rpm that needs a fix.

I'll take a look Javis but I am not getting what you report. Smooth reduction in both throttle and prop, at all speeds.

Hello,
    just for the record, I experience the same.
    If I alter the propeller lever, for quite a while afterwards the aircraft does indeed
    buck.
    It is a similar effect to that which would be felt in a car that was running out of fuel,
    slower, normal, slower, normal etc but in an even rhythm.
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    I'll take a look Javis but I am not getting what you report. Smooth reduction in both throttle and prop, at all speeds.
    Actually i'm getting it with reducing throttle as well, Baz, a bit less maybe. And it's not that it's unique to the Otter FD, seen it with a couple other models as well. I wonder if it might've anything to do with the STOL capability that has been applied ....

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Hello,
    just for the record, I experience the same.
    If I alter the propeller lever, for quite a while afterwards the aircraft does indeed
    buck.
    It is a similar effect to that which would be felt in a car that was running out of fuel,
    slower, normal, slower, normal etc but in an even rhythm.
    Exactly that, Nick

I'll have a look and get back. Thanks.

OK I've checked the violent bucking problem. First off, I had not realised you were in P3D. I could not understand why you were having this problem and I was not. I was in FSX.

Now, I believe the problem lies with the excessive head motion effects in P3D, If you disable the head motion entries in the sim CFG, just edit them all to "0" , I think this will solve your problem. The entries can be found under [DynamicHeadMovement] in Prepar3D.cfg in your user/APPdata/Roaming/LockheedMartin/Prepar3Dv... /Prepar3D.cfg file.

For some reason, V4 up has a vicious amount of head movement effect, I have no idea why. It might have something to do with the changes made for VR views etc.

Please try it and let me know.

Thanks.

Sorry to ruin your theory but I am getting exactly the same bucking in FSXA.

Regards Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    OK I've checked the violent bucking problem. First off, I had not realised you were in P3D. I could not understand why you were having this problem and I was not. I was in FSX.

Now, I believe the problem lies with the excessive head motion effects in P3D, If you disable the head motion entries in the sim CFG, just edit them all to "0" , I think this will solve your problem. The entries can be found under [DynamicHeadMovement] in Prepar3D.cfg in your user/APPdata/Roaming/LockheedMartin/Prepar3Dv... /Prepar3D.cfg file.

For some reason, V4 up has a vicious amount of head movement effect, I have no idea why. It might have something to do with the changes made for VR views etc.

Please try it and let me know.

Thanks.
    Hey Baz, on my install in v4, that fix did work with the otter. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Sorry to ruin your theory but I am getting exactly the same bucking in FSXA.

Regards Chris
    Hi Chris, do you have momentum effect turned on?

Members who have read this thread: 0