Version 4.1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Version 4.1

Rain effect:

Instruction for update:
    Modules: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewt...=6322&t=120861
    For ORBX users: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...omment-3724905

Nothing special in this update (only for VR users). Not 4.1 but 4.001 would be a good name for the rest .
    Nothing about perfomance AA, Dynamic Lighting, waves problems...

Good to see that larger ships will turn not in the same place .

I will install Client only perhaps.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

as the video states its only the aircraft supplied that have the rain effect all other addons do not come with the vc rain effect, its only in the 2d panel in others

You will see these rain effects in the Virtual Cockpit

Below is the list of default aircraft with these effects

1) Beech Baron 58

2) Beech King Air 350

3) Maule M7 260c

4) Mooney Bravo

5) Piper cub

6) Robinson R22

7) Sikorsky MH

8) Sikorsky S

9) Sikorsky UH Elaine Dixon
    Prepar3D® Forum Global Moderator

It still has that awful front end. That it had in V2 (my last dalliance with P3D). There was someone who came out with a freeware front end back then which allowed for the setting up of a flight before even going into the sim. Who can remember that and I wonder would it still work now or has it been updated?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

You can do that with the stock UI. In the create flight screen there’s a check box for “show at startup”

You can do that with the stock UI. In the create flight screen there’s a check box for “show at startup”
    I was going to mention the same thing. Everything you need to load a flight, plan a new flight and so on is right there on the Create Flight screen by simply checking the box as Deimos mentioned.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Since the update made my A2A aircraft useless on the ground, I thought I'd install the Content update to see the VC rain effects in the default aircraft. Not the prettiest, but zero effect on frame rates. Woohoo! Hopefully the developers will offer updates to their aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I have a lot of time invested in the current V4, which is spectacular, and I am not anxious to do a complete re-install.
    That said, I know I'll do it, so what I just said is Bollocks.

I have located all of my third party assets to add-ons folders outside the main sim, so the re-installs are actually relatively painless at this stage of the game. Still..I always hold my breath a bit.

Active Sky & ChasePlane
    If those two are read to go, I'll pull the trigger.

Just did that tonight so I should be all set for an update once they fix a few things. Maybe it's my imagination but the sim seems to load a bit faster and run a little better. But that may just be my imagination ;-) It was not as hard as I expected to move the aircraft out. I don't know why the payware is not installing outside the sim as it is supposed to now.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post

its running very well on 8 cores with the new hyper threading supported, ive can seen a huge improvement with no stutters
    YEAH! , should run great on my 12 cores then. Soon as they fix a few bugs, I will update.

LouP

Blog Entries
    I backed up all of my usual stuff, effects, in sim aircraft, gauges...all the usual bits. Turned out I didn't need it, but I like having things backed up anyway.

Downloaded the whole kit and archived it for posterity.
    I opted to do the client install only after doing a bit of research.

ChasePlane sorted out a tiny syntax bug today, so now they are up to speed.
    Active Sky automatically pointed me to the update...that went perfect.

FSUIPC installed fine.

I haven't gotten to my ORBX FTX Global stuff yet, so I can't comment there.

The only glitch was last night when I was doing the 5+hour download of the 12gig LM package.

Windows crashed the party like the obnoxious drunk who lives next door, and commandeered my system for one of their routine invasions. It borked the download, so I re-booted the Win10 update and started the LM download over at 2:00 AM. Second try got it.
    Big shout out to my good friends over at MS. KMA

The install
    That went as smooth as honey butter.

Right off the bat I went and looked at some of my 4K VC textures in the F7F Tigercat. I built these in 4K knowing that we would eventually get 4K in the office.
    After I got back up off the floor, I spent quite a bit of time panning and checking light and bump mapping. Holy cow.
    Even the single pixel bumps were phenomenally clear.

If nothing else, the 4K option for the VC is worth every penny of stepping into P3Dv4.1.
    Performance is mind numbing with the new GTX 1080 TI card managing data like a terminator. Testing...I'm seeing solid 90 to 125 FPS...with all the candy sliders far right. When LM suggested an 8gig card, they knew what they were talking about. I opted for the 11gig, and don't regret the $$$ outlay.

BTW...I ran the latest NVIDIA driver update yesterday, I swear it took the whole thing completely off the charts.

All in all...I'm giving the update

Tweaks

I've put a ton of time in chasing P3Dv4 tweaks. There are a handful that neutralize the performance killers, and produce big gains in FPS and smoothness.
    These are also the tweaks I've used for video work and screen caps I've been posting most recently. I thought it would be helpful for some if I shared these.

First, I'm running the CPU and GPU at stock curves. NO OVERCLOCKS. I went that route before had had too many black screen and driver crashes. At the performance levels I'm seeing, overclocking would just be for bragging. I'm happy where I'm at, so I'm saving the equipment.

I turn off Dynamic Lighting and Reflections for most flights. DL is a Frame Killer, but very nice when you don't mind.

I spent a lot of time with Affinity mask. This is a huge performance booster, but finding the blurries threshold takes some experimenting.
    Right now I'm using (no blurriness or stutters):

[JOBSCHEDULER]
    AffinityMask=116

I set NVIDIA to let the 3D Application choose it's settings via the control panel.

In P3D I do the following.
    I've found that higher settings produce negligible visual improvements, but hit FPS significantly. This is my personal preference.
    Note: I use ChasePlane, so the wide angle mode is enabled. This is highly recommend by ChasePlane for best performance.

Last edited by gman5250; October 11th, 2017 at 20:27.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

microsoft just did a update to win 10 in the past 24hrs so that will be interesting to see how it affects anything

Something for who is waiting for better rain effect:
    https://blog.tfdidesign.com/2017/10/...-is-trueglass/
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Blog Entries
    Prepar3Dv4.1 Install Update

I'm sharing my initial data for the benefit of members who are updating their v4, but more importantly, for those who are considering making the commitment to 64bit. It can be intimidating, considering GPU requirements and cost, but the benefits are immense.

I have researched overclocking both the CPU and GPU. I am taking the conservative approach, testing at stock settings before punishing the hardware. My personal minimums demand solid 60 FPS for smooth video work. Anything beyond that is just beer muscles.

I updated from version 4.0.23.21468 to 4.1.7.22841.
    Client update only. No negative issues after a few hours in the sim.

After a bit of testing, I did a benchmark flight.

The important settings are the ones I've posted above.
    Eye candy sliders, i.e. shadows, autogen etc. are full right.

Additional:

Factory settings on CPU and GPU. No Overclocking. The frame counter is NVIDIA, but I'm seeing exactly the same with EVGA OSD, and LM stats.

Active Sky is updated and enabled with cloud density at maximum, draw distance 90 miles. Todays live weather on this flight plan. Volumetric atmosphere (clouds) enabled.
    ChasePlane Cameras are enabled. Wide Screen mode.

I turn off vegetation shadows when I'm going to be at altitude for longer periods. Low level VFR I leave them on. This flight...OFF.

FSUIPC: Updated to FSUIPC 5.121b

Scenery:
    Mega Scenery Earth
    Nevada

Airplane:

D18 Beech by Milton Shupe

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    11G-P4-6593-KR, 11GB GDDR5X

Even at maxed cloud densities w/shadows, performance on the 11gig card is mind blowing. Depending on viewing angle/camera, frames are solid 185+, hitting over 200 when the camera angle is stable.

I was getting good performance prior to the update, but I'm seeing significant improvements...again.

Beer Muscles
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Something for who is waiting for better rain effect:
    https://blog.tfdidesign.com/2017/10/...-is-trueglass/
    Thanks, looks awesome. Unfortunately, the aircraft developers need to purchase licenses and build it into their aircraft, not sure how many are willing to do that.

But interestingly the licencing is free for freeware developers.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    .barring power outages or alien invasions,
    Out where you thrive, I would of bet money on alien invasions (The truth is out there)

I tried to analyze how the rain effect is done. The textures are in P3Ds main \texture\ folder. But how is the effect triggered? I thought it might be a gauge, but not so (except the gauge is hidden behind a ambigous name).

It's not attached as an effect to the airplane either.

The background for my effort is to try to make it for other AC work. I also didn't find any reference in the SDK to it.

Mysteries!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

It is in the latest SDK, under material settings I think. It's a LUA script attached to the material. The script itself is in the P3d / scripts folder.

Edit: its under "new aircraft procedures".

That's it, Dave! Thanks!

The file is PrecipWindshieldEffect.lua

I'll inspect it for further work. Interesting way of injecting it into the sim. Who knows what's possible here. Seems to be a very powerful interface.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Essentially Gary it is a 21st century reworking of the ancient chain-animated texture system from FS2004 (FS9). The only major 'advancement' though is the introduction of lua scripting, which replaces the fixed logic embedded in the core engine.

This system allows for customization of the logic as well as the use of custom bitmaps.

I'd suggested and hoped that L-M would have developed a script driven but shader based system, similar to that which is used in ETS and ATS, where the wipers work realistically to help clear the water from the windows, but not perfectly!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Does anyone know if the beta ORBX Objectflow works in 4.1. It was the one being updated first in v3 with every P3D update.

Dumb question here, but which files contain the updates? Is it just the client MSI file? Or do I need to download others also?

Sorry, just feeling kind of daft right now.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    Dumb question here, but which files contain the updates? Is it just the client MSI file? Or do I need to download others also?
    All you need is the Client. If you fly the F-16, you might want to download the Content and its two cab files.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Does anyone know if the beta ORBX Objectflow works in 4.1. It was the one being updated first in v3 with every P3D update.
    Hello, there is a new objectflow 2 module available for download at the Orbx open beta forum.
    It was ready in time for the release of P3D v4.1 but for now needs to be manually copied and
    pasted.
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    All you need is the Client. If you fly the F-16, you might want to download the Content and its two cab files.

Thank you!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Hello, there is a new objectflow 2 module available for download at the Orbx open beta forum.
    It was ready in time for the release of P3D v4.1 but for now needs to be manually copied and
    pasted.
    Wonderful! Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0