Version 4.1 - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Version 4.1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Is there an idiots guide to adding Aircraft and AI to this v4 somewhere? It's all been changed and I'm confused.
    The 'idiot' guide says, "Just add it the way you have always added an airplane, i. e., aircraft in SimObject folder, effects in Effects folder, and Gauges...well gauges usually go in the main aircraft folder these days with the panel.

There are two ways to add aircraft Naismith. The xml method and the Simobjects methods. So far, all aircraft I have seen have gone in the SimObjects folder. They may be some using the xml technique, but I don't know of them.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

So far I know only two developers that install their aircraft outside the main folder, A2A and Anthony (Ant's aeroplanes). Ant also gives you the option in the installer. I have installed many of them outside by manually making an appropriate xml file. There are nice instructions for this in the A2A forum. All my JF planes and all freeware planes are in folders outside the main one. It helps to save space in the P3D SSD. Milviz, SSW and SWS ones are inside because I could not install some needed modules outside the main P3D folder.

Really? I've been reading about having to make up XML files and they are stored in documents as opposed to the cfg. I tried importing my FSX AI e.g. and it won't show up. Aircraft are in a new folder under Simobjects and their bgls are in scenery global. Perhaps I won't bother and just await Ultimate Traffic Live coming out.

Edit this was in direct response to an e-mail by ncooper and seems to be out of sequence - sorry about that. Just ignore.
    Last edited by Naismith; October 22nd, 2017 at 14:10. Reason: Ooopsie
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Really? I've been reading about having to make up XML files and they are stored in documents as opposed to the cfg. I tried importing my FSX AI e.g. and it won't show up. Aircraft are in a new folder under Simobjects and their bgls are in scenery global. Perhaps I won't bother and just await Ultimate Traffic Live coming out.

Edit this was in direct response to an e-mail by ncooper and seems to be out of sequence - sorry about that. Just ignore.

What AI is it ?
    Older FS9 models wont work in v4 like they did in v3 and will just be invisible.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Since early FSX I have always held to the normal way of addon (aircraft) installations. . .aircraft install to the SimObjects/Airplanes folder. I have continued that method into P3D_V4.1 and have never seen any adverse reaction when running the Sim. The airplanes still load, there are no problems such as missing textures, gauges, aircraft parts, etc. I have gone over an outline of how the xml style of handling aircraft is supposed to work and decided that the old adage. . ."If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applied here and stayed with what has always worked.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Well I discovered by chance that once you create the folders outside P3D along with the .xml file to activate the folders, the Carenado stuff installs there just fine once you redirect the install. The only real reason I see to do this is that it makes things easier and smoother when updating the sim to a new version. The update to 4.1 spurred me on to setting things up like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3D tree.jpg  

each to their own, for me creating external folders doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy I prefer the method of everything in one location

its easy to track and less xml codes to go wrong

but like i said everyone has different ways of doing things

I've started keeping everything in stand alone SimObjects, Effects, Gauges etc. folders outside the Sim's folder structure since P3D2. It was just a case of updating the relevant cfg files when P3D4 came out, so effectively three versions of the sim are all using the same scenery, aircraft, effects etc. The XML method is good for add-on developers as it makes things simple but for legacy stuff is more complicated than just editing a cfg file.

i have adopted a system where I have separate folders for testing, payware and freeware outside of the main folders, each with an effect, fonts, gauges, simobjects and sounds folders. If you go into "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" there are a series of .cfg folders for effects.cfg, fonts.cfg, gauges.cfg, simobjects.cfg, sounds.cfg etc. you can open them up and create new Entries for each of the different folders.

FSX you could do it with simobjects in the right cfg file but with P3D they took it to the next level where everything has it. I really like having an external testing so I can download and install new aircraft into the testing folder before I copy it into the main folders, that way if something is not right it is super easy to purge it all out before anything gets moved into the main folders, it also makes re-installing easier since most of the add on's are outside the main folder.

It has worked with most aircraft, a few payware aircraft it does not (Milviz especially) but after testing with in the external folder if it does not work its easy enough to install into the main folder.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Thanks Joe I think I will your route a whizz.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I backed up all of my usual stuff, effects, in sim aircraft, gauges...all the usual bits. Turned out I didn't need it, but I like having things backed up anyway.

Downloaded the whole kit and archived it for posterity.
    I opted to do the client install only after doing a bit of research.

ChasePlane sorted out a tiny syntax bug today, so now they are up to speed.
    Active Sky automatically pointed me to the update...that went perfect.

FSUIPC installed fine.

I haven't gotten to my ORBX FTX Global stuff yet, so I can't comment there.

The only glitch was last night when I was doing the 5+hour download of the 12gig LM package.

Windows crashed the party like the obnoxious drunk who lives next door, and commandeered my system for one of their routine invasions. It borked the download, so I re-booted the Win10 update and started the LM download over at 2:00 AM. Second try got it.
    Big shout out to my good friends over at MS. KMA

The install
    That went as smooth as honey butter.

Right off the bat I went and looked at some of my 4K VC textures in the F7F Tigercat. I built these in 4K knowing that we would eventually get 4K in the office.
    After I got back up off the floor, I spent quite a bit of time panning and checking light and bump mapping. Holy cow.
    Even the single pixel bumps were phenomenally clear.

If nothing else, the 4K option for the VC is worth every penny of stepping into P3Dv4.1.
    Performance is mind numbing with the new GTX 1080 TI card managing data like a terminator. Testing...I'm seeing solid 90 to 125 FPS...with all the candy sliders far right. When LM suggested an 8gig card, they knew what they were talking about. I opted for the 11gig, and don't regret the $$$ outlay.

BTW...I ran the latest NVIDIA driver update yesterday, I swear it took the whole thing completely off the charts.

All in all...I'm giving the update

Tweaks

I've put a ton of time in chasing P3Dv4 tweaks. There are a handful that neutralize the performance killers, and produce big gains in FPS and smoothness.
    These are also the tweaks I've used for video work and screen caps I've been posting most recently. I thought it would be helpful for some if I shared these.

First, I'm running the CPU and GPU at stock curves. NO OVERCLOCKS. I went that route before had had too many black screen and driver crashes. At the performance levels I'm seeing, overclocking would just be for bragging. I'm happy where I'm at, so I'm saving the equipment.

I turn off Dynamic Lighting and Reflections for most flights. DL is a Frame Killer, but very nice when you don't mind.

I spent a lot of time with Affinity mask. This is a huge performance booster, but finding the blurries threshold takes some experimenting.
    Right now I'm using (no blurriness or stutters):

[JOBSCHEDULER]
    AffinityMask=116

I set NVIDIA to let the 3D Application choose it's settings via the control panel.

In P3D I do the following.
    I've found that higher settings produce negligible visual improvements, but hit FPS significantly. This is my personal preference.
    Note: I use ChasePlane, so the wide angle mode is enabled. This is highly recommend by ChasePlane for best performance.

Hello Gman,
    Thank you so much for your valuable tips to get more performance out of P3Dv4! I followed them all and they gave a huge improvement. Except one: the affinity mask setting under the jobscheduler header. I searched the P3D.cfg file but I could not find this header. My P3D file is in the folder user/app data/roaming/lockheed martin. Can you tell me where I can find the Affinity mask setting?
    Thanks and best regards,
    Stickshaker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Hello Gman,
    Thank you so much for your valuable tips to get more performance out of P3Dv4! I followed them all and they gave a huge improvement. Except one: the affinity mask setting under the jobscheduler header. I searched the P3D.cfg file but I could not find this header. My P3D file is in the folder user/app data/roaming/lockheed martin. Can you tell me where I can find the Affinity mask setting?
    Thanks and best regards,
    Stickshaker
    I am pretty sure that Affinity Mask needs to be added to the cfg. It is not there by default. I tend to save and then reuse my cfg files, so it has been there for as long as I can remember (which so so long these days).
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Blog Entries

You will need to add that to the P3D config file. I don't get any negative artefacts at that setting, but if you do, try going down to 84. Glad I could help with the performance!
    Be sure to back up the config file as a precaution.

Example:

[FACILITIES]
    COUNTRY=
    STATE=
    CITY=
    GTL_BUTTON=4096

[MISC]
    Com_Rate=7
    [FlightPlanMap]
    LineWidth=2

[BUFFERPOOLS]
    UsePools=0
    PoolSize=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]
    AffinityMask=116

[DEBUG]
    ScenarioErrorReporting=0

[MOUSE]
    EnableGestures=True
    [NavigationVisuals]
    EnableFacilityVisuals=False
    ShowAirportVisuals=False
    ShowVORVisuals=False
    ShowNDBVisuals=False
    ShowTACANVisuals=False
    ShowILSVisuals=True
    ShowAirspaceBoundaryVisuals=False
    ShowWeatherStationVisuals=False
    ShowWaypointVisuals=False
    ShowVictorAirwayVisuals=False
    ShowJetAirwayVisuals=False

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.0.0]
    Mode=1920x1080x32
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Thaks, Gman, going to give it a try!

Blog Entries
    Thaks, Gman, going to give it a try!
    Let me know how that works for you. Affinity mask is going vary dramatically from system to system. The two big things are micro stutters and blurries.

My objective was to net a solid 60 FPS while running Shadowplay at 4K with all of the P3D bling turned up, live weather and ChasePlane cameras. ChasePlane has some tiny niggles at some camera angles that will stutter, but it has nothing to do with Affinity Mask.

On my system, with no overclocks on the CPU or GPU I'm getting solid FPS at 100-150 frames with the setup I posted above. Resolution is perfect for video capture, and frames never go below 60, which is what Shadowplay requires, so I'm satisfied with the Affinity Mask 116 on my rig.

BTW, I had another NVIDIA driver update today, so first thing I'll check is for any performance changes. Depending on driver updates, I sometimes see FPS bump up after an update, but I've never seen frames go down.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    After making a test flight over demanding terrain (FTX England) it indeed seems that performance has markedly improved (even without checking framerates). Thank you for your advice, Gman!

Funny, inserted (not tried yet)

[JOBSCHEDULER]
    AffinityMask=116

as suggested, but

[BUFFERPOOLS],
    [DEBUG],
    [MOUSE], are missing in my p3d.cfg. Are these lines related to any specific program? Mouse I have....
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Funny, inserted (not tried yet)

[JOBSCHEDULER]
    AffinityMask=116

as suggested, but

[BUFFERPOOLS],
    [DEBUG],
    [MOUSE], are missing in my p3d.cfg. Are these lines related to any specific program? Mouse I have....
    Thanks

That syntax may or may not be in your configuration file. It won't affect the section you will be adding.

You can insert the JOBSCHEDULER AffinityMask code by itself. I put mine towards the bottom.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Due Diligence:

Affinity Mask is a very system specific modification, and is quite different in P3Dv4 than it was in previous releases. What works on one system, may prove to be wrong for another.

For everyone who is interested in exploring the options offered by this tweak, I strongly suggest taking the time to run the calculations for your specific system through the Affinity Mask Calculator. It will give you a few options, depending on the variables you ask the calculator to profile.

IMO, it is very much worth the invested time.

http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affini...uItem=hardware

I ran some numbers today and came up with two optimum profiles for my system. One is based on a six core CPU, the other based on six core hyperthreaded CPU. The Affinity Mask numbers are different for each. The chart below is based on the hyperthreaded setup, which is default for my system. The chart was constructed with the F7F Tigercat sitting parked, engines idling, avionics on, AS Next P3DV4 live weather, P3D bling set as per my earlier posting here (post 34), ChasePlane cameras enabled.

During the actual flight, over very demanding scenery and autogen, the CPU hovered around 36% and power never really broke a sweat. Checking EVGA Precision X with no overclock the card barely broke a sweat, running around 76 degrees at all of the sensor points. Perfect. The sim made about 80 FPS on the ground and averaged around 120 FPS at cruise altitude. I set tessellation to Maximum for this check ride.

The curve shows core one carrying a specified load, and the rest of the cores very equally distributed with similar curves. I did about an hour flight with the cores balanced very evenly. No blurries or stutters.

Important to note, this curve was created using a number generated by the calculator. I'm running a series of tests today and will share that data later.

BTW, rather than hijacking this thread I can start a dedicated thread if we have enough interest. I can make a video showing setups and performance with optimized Affinity Mask.
    Let me know below if that's something we want to see.

Last edited by gman5250; November 6th, 2017 at 14:46.
    Thomas Jefferson

[BUFFERPOOLS]
    UsePools=0
    PoolSize=0

It is
    unnecessary for P3D, it was good option for FSX I suppose (and only the one, UsePools and PoolSize means the same).
    Engine of P3D puts graphics for card memory "as default", not like FSX. It was option to force this in FSX (and case of some artifacts as well).

Only two tweaks are ok for P3D according me:

Fiber frame and Affinity Mask.

Affinity Mask caclulator:
    http://store.fsxtimes.com/cal-cam.php

but I personally do not use any.

My settings:

btw.
    ******** I see You have V-sync off and You wrote about 100 fps, so do You have G-sync and monitor with refresh rate 144? If V-sync isnt ticket You dont see screen tearing on monitor ?
    V-sync/G-sync limits fps to refresh rate of monitor, so for example I setup my monitor to 60 Hz, and in P3D I see 60 fps max, not more (so level of Hz of monitor, btw max my is 144). However, Fall Creators Update Windows 10 (3-4 November) causes problems for P3Dv4 with this.
    Last edited by YoYo; November 6th, 2017 at 14:19.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

This is a very useful and informative discussion.
    I would like to pick up your suggestion, Gordon, and ask if you could open a new thread with a related title to further explore this matter.
    I'll sticky it because there 's a lot of useful information on how to tune p3d 4.1 to specific systems.

Thanks,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    btw.
    ******** I see You have V-sync off and You wrote about 100 fps, so do You have G-sync and monitor with refresh rate 144? If V-sync isnt ticket You dont see screen tearing on monitor ?
    V-sync/G-sync limits fps to refresh rate of monitor, so for example I setup my monitor to 60 Hz, and in P3D I see 60 fps max, not more (so level of Hz of monitor, btw max my is 144). However, Fall Creators Update Windows 10 (3-4 November) causes problems for P3Dv4 with this.
    Screen resolution 1080p, 1920 x 1080
    Monitor refresh is 60HZ.

In all of the video I have shot, V-sync has been off and texture filtering as I posted earlier. I've never had any tearing, not even in the raw video cap. I've also found that texture filtering, at least for my monitor resolution doesn't have to be at the highest settings. If I do turn V-sync on with triple buffering, FPS drop down around 60. Still good for video, but there is no benefit for me using V-sync.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    This is a very useful and informative discussion.
    I would like to pick up your suggestion, Gordon, and ask if you could open a new thread with a related title to further explore this matter.
    I'll sticky it because there 's a lot of useful information on how to tune p3d 4.1 to specific systems.

Thanks,
    Mark

I'll do that today Mark.

We can get the topic going with some guidelines and parameters. I'll follow up with a video showing my setup A-Z and live charts, FPS etc. It's a lot more comprehensive when you watch the data through all of the peripheral monitors.

I think it will be a helpful tool, seeing as P3Dv4 is such a diversion from everything that went before. I'm still deep in the learning curve, but I am getting super results so far.
    Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by YoYo; November 6th, 2017 at 14:00.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Gordon, is affinity mask only for hyperthreading CPUs? I have an i5 7600k, no affinity mask, and P3D keeps Core 0 at 100%, and the other three are evenly distributed according to load. Total load maxes out over NYC at around 65%, 40-50% everywhere else. I figured out any stuttering I saw was from the GPU (6GB GTX 1060) exceeding 100% usage (heavily-forested with cloudy/hazy weather), and changed my settings so it never uses over 90% in those situations. I get to keep PTA, yay!

Pat

Members who have read this thread: 0