Star Trek Discovery - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Have you been over to jammersreviews.com ? They have a heated discussion about Discovery (and Orville) going on as well.

I expected that as a Season 1 cliffhanger conclusion - but nevertheless ...Wow!

Personally, I have never relied on reviews to decide what I watch. I like it or I don't, on my own; thank you. I do like this one. It's not TOS exactly, but I don't think it ever claimed to be. This is turning out to be quite a thread.
    LOL
    Sue

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Now that they are in a parallel universe (or so it seems) they don't have to stick as much to the original series...

And perhaps Stamets is turning into a 'Q' type of character?
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Now that they are in a parallel universe (or so it seems) they don't have to stick as much to the original series...

And perhaps Stamets is turning into a 'Q' type of character?
    Ferry,
    Somewhere on the 'net....the Discovery staff stated that the Mirror Universe plays a large part in the series.....

I guess we shall see!

I seem to recall a mirror universe in the original series. But it was a dog-eat-dog, devil take the hindmost sort of place. Spock had a goatee, Uhura had a very nice little dagger, Sulu ran around the ship topless wielding a fencing foil...
    Sounds like they took the concept and ran with it for Discovery. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never seen it. Probably never will. I watched TOS when it can out originally. Even went to see the first movie the day it came out at Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. Got there at noon, got in for the midnight showing. Worth every minute of it

Just my 2 bits, whatever they're worth.
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    I seem to recall a mirror universe in the original series. But it was a dog-eat-dog, devil take the hindmost sort of place. Spock had a goatee, Uhura had a very nice little dagger, Sulu ran around the ship topless wielding a fencing foil...
    Sounds like they took the concept and ran with it for Discovery. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never seen it. Probably never will. I watched TOS when it can out originally. Even went to see the first movie the day it came out at Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. Got there at noon, got in for the midnight showing. Worth every minute of it

Just my 2 bits, whatever they're worth.
    Pat☺
    If memory serves correct,
    EVERY television series of Star Trek after the Original Series has had a few "Mirror Universe" episodes themselves....

One of the debates/discussions amongst "Discovery" followers is whether or not the series actually takes place within the "Mirror Universe"....

Or the even deeper question: which is the actual "Mirror Universe?"
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Or the even deeper question: which is the actual "Mirror Universe?"

Icon2

It's there now!

The 'Mirror Universe' is absolutely crazy good!!

Star Trek has explored alternate universes right from TOS. When we are discussing "The Mirror Universe" I'm working under the assumption we mean The Terran Star Empire first seen in the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror" and then revisited in DS9 and Enterprise. Note that in Star Trek there are potentially an infinite number of alternate universes, as is discussed at length in the TNG episode "Parallels" where we actually see hundreds of USS Enterprises.

I don't remember ever seeing The Mirror Universe on Voyager or TNG, at least not onscreen. We do see this rise and fall of the Empire fleshed out in the books however, especially David Mack's The Sorrows of Empire. There's also a six-issue comics series, Star Trek TNG: Mirror Broken, which takes the same events in a somewhat different direction; the Empire is down, but not out, as the Cardassian/Klingon alliance was never able to conquer the core Imperial system, AKA: Earth. One of my favorite TNG novels is Diane Duane's Dark Mirror, in which a version of the Terran Empire continues to expand through the 24th Century, but they're still in trouble. The timetable for the Halkan prediction of galactic revolt is approaching and they know it. I especially like the description of the evil Enterprise-D and evil Deanna Troi is especially fierce. One of the weaknesses of TNG IMO was that the main characters are almost too morally correct in every instance. I know Gene Roddenberry was an optimist, but I also think Dr. Zaius presented a very strong argument on humanity at the end of Planet of the Apes. In Dark Mirror, the good Enterprise crew get to meet and confront their shadow selves, which I thought was very interesting thematically.

ATTN: PhantomTweak

The episode where Sulu runs around topless with the epee foil is "The Naked Time" from the first season of TOS. It doesn't involve The Mirror Universe, but it is the first time we see the Enterprise go into time warp.

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoraptor1 View Post
    Star Trek has explored alternate universes right from TOS. When we are discussing "The Mirror Universe" I'm working under the assumption we mean The Terran Star Empire first seen in the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror" and then revisited in DS9 and Enterprise.
    James,
    You are 100% spot on here! 'Discovery' is now in the 'Mirror Universe' and from a plot/writing perspective....It's INTENSE...and I'll leave it at that.

On a side note, if you're a TOS fan like I am, then I highly suggest that you watch this - that is if you haven't done so already!

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    James,
    You are 100% spot on here! 'Discovery' is now in the 'Mirror Universe' and from a plot/writing perspective....It's INTENSE...and I'll leave it at that.

On a side note, if you're a TOS fan like I am, then I highly suggest that you watch this - that is if you haven't done so already!

I've already got that one, Panther. I subscribe to the YouTube channel. I also found the graphic novel prequel to the JJ Reboot you wrote about in the misty past in a used bookstore in Buffalo. It really filled things in. Thanks for the h/u. What was interesting to me was how from Picard and Data's point of view in the 24th Century Spock simply disappeared into a void, while in the 23rd Spock creates a whole new continuity. I'm sure this made a lot of what I call fundamentalist nerds heads explode. I just consider the reboot films to be popcorn movies for the summer market and enjoy them for what they are: entertainment. I'm temperamentally disinclined to get wound up over them. I know Discovery is in the Mirror-verse now; I've seen some, but not all of the episodes. I can't responsibly subscribe to CBS All-Access right now, but I suspect I'll eventually have the whole season on Blu-Ray. I love Star Trek. I love bad Star Trek. "Spocks Brain" is so bad it's Awesome.

JAMES

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Icon2

I've already got that one, Panther. I subscribe to the YouTube channel.

JAMES
    Awesome!!!!

Here's some 'Mirror' stuff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails georgiou-greets-burnham.jpg   georgiou-throne-room.jpg   lorca-dragged.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Awesome!!!!

Here's some 'Mirror' stuff...
    Thanks for the wallpaper, Panther. Let me know what you think of this. Don't wait too long to view it; the uploader is having trouble with CBS due to content.

JAMES

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Thanks for the wallpaper, Panther. Let me know what you think of this. Don't wait too long to view it; the uploader is having trouble with CBS due to content.

JAMES
    Interesting.....A bit too in depth for me since I haven't read any of the novels...but obviously a LOT of work went into this!

Cool

And for those questioning how well the series is doing......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 4.56.22 AM.jpg  

Argh! My head hurts trying to follow that mirror-verse explanation. It's all too plecompcated...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Happiness Consultant
    Well Panther,

I gotta say, this is certainly a side of you I didn't expect to see.

But I suppose in lieu of posting your panzers here ...
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Icon4

Well.......
    Now THAT was different!

Life is too short!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 2