Flight 19 - High Road To China
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight 19 - High Road To China

Flight 19 - High Road To China

Venice, Italy.

Sitting in the cockpit studying some charts on the eve of another long haul.

Just flew in from Merc Air HQ in Rochford UK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-sep-29-001.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Look at those white walls! lol

LouP

Hi there folks,
    Hehe, we are off and running! Had a nice start on this adventure "High Road to China". To start with we took off from LIPV San Nicolo, Italy Adriatic Pond(Sea) to LDRO Otocac, Croatia. All the time wondering if our passports are going to clear the agents at the airport, heard that they were real tough. Added is a picture of the flight preparing to take off, but if you noticed Willy's bird wasn't in the line up, Hehe He and his bird were still in the hanger, so we started giving him a bad time about being late because he was cleaning the white wall tires on the Avia.

On a hilltop in Croatia.

Rob was down in the quarry out of sight.

I was just fine on the ground!. When the airport manager came to collect fees I explained the other two were hovering 50 feet above to avoid the parking charges. He handed back my Canadian passport and drove off, muttering something about "Yan..e to..ists".

Brac is interesting... besides the wine, olives and fall colours, it was the source of "its precious white stone which was used in building Diocletian's Palace in Split and the Canadian National Vimy Memorial. Very widespread is also the claim that it was used in the White House in Washington, D.C."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LDSB -Brac.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Howdy all,

With any kind of luck this day we should be taking off from LDSB Brac Island, Croatia, and heading to LYPG Podqorica, Serbia/Montenegro. Great, over the weekend we finally got a crew in to unload Brac Island order of these sticks for corndogs. My question is what the heck are they going to do with all these sticks! Oh well, our job was just to delivery them. Talk to you all later.

Getting prepped at LDSB. Willy's trying to hide from the fee-collector in a cloud of smoke:

Along the scenic Adriatic coast, resplendent in fall colours:

All safe and sound on the ground at LYPG (Podgorica, Montenegro)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LDSB TO LYPG.jpg   LDSB -Brac 2.jpg   LYPG.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Decided that the Avia apparently was smoking a bit too much, so I switched back to an old favorite. Besides, the Avia had too many engines and not enough rudders.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Albania.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-oct-4-001.jpg  

Hi all,

Here we are heading from Podgorica (LYPG0 to Kucova (LAKV), now don't ask me how to pronounce these names. At least this is the last stop for the corndogs sticks and a few other minor cargo. We still have some cargo of farm equipment and books. Sound a little strange. Ah...who know maybe just a little Leary of things being shipped like those into an area where there isn't much farming done, and books the books are written in English, no way. But, what the heck, we are getting paid for this shipment, and paid they had to pay in advance. hehe. think, after we deliver this stuff we will be needing a beer, and then getting out of Dodge ASAP.

Farm Equipment? Me too! What caliber is yours?

Seeds too!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-oct-4-001.jpg   Flt 19-2017-oct-4-002.jpg  

Hey Willy, very neat! Sure hope we don't run into any sharp custom agents when we land. hehe. See you tonight.

Hi there again,

We left Kucorva (LAKV) and headed for Thessalonikis (LGTS) with only one big worry, customs at LGTS as noted before sure in the heck not sure what this crazy cargo is. Got some information from the shipper about where to park upon arrival, Checking the landing charts it shows a taxi way that is off from the main terminal which ends close to a very large wooded area. We are to wait until we were approached by some airport employee to unload the plane. When those fellow got to us we noticed a large hole cut into the fence surrounding the airport, and hidden in the bush was a big truck! We yelled at them to get this stuff of the plane so we can get the heck out of Dodge before the local police show up. Man! this was a heck of a way to make a buck! See you all later, unless we end up in the slammer. hehe.

My co-pilot Fred is sitting the right seat with a shotgun pointed out the window towards the woods "just in case"

Wow! Hello,

Hey, we got out of LGTS without any problem with the local law enforcement, hehe and we didn't waste any time leaving I clue you in. It was a little spooky around here until those character got their farm stuff and the English books loaded on their trucks and bugged out. Gee, and they didn't even say thanks or good bye! Maybe the police left us alone in order to catch the bad guys. No problem as long as they leave us alone. So here we go, as mentioned we left LTGS and headed towards LGLM Limnos, Gr. It was a alright flight, and no suspicious aircraft gave chase to us. So far, so good. Now, need to pick up some honest cargo in order to pay for landing fees and fuel. Shucks, it is always something right!

Hi again, just thought we would show you a selfie picture as we were doing our pre-start check list.

Taco and I made it to the Greek island of Chios.

Homer spent time on Chios but that was a bit before our time....like 8th century BC.

Hey there!

No pictures, some dumb guy forgot to load the camera as usual. (hehe guess who) We picked up some cargo at Limno (LBLM) to be delivered to Chios (LGHI) co-signed to a fellow name Homer, we think that we just might be a little late for the delivery, based on what Moses mentioned on the pervious post. LOL. We had a headwind for most of the flight, it is the first time we have had a headwind on this adventure, Moses said it was because of him. Sure hope he changes the brand of tea he has been drinking, might help with the headwind, you think. All in all it was a very nice flight. Catch you all later.

Hello

Took off from KGHI Chios and headed to LGSR Santorini it sure seems like all we have been doing is Island hops. Delivered our cargo and now will be spending the day trying to find some more freight that needs to go east. No problem we should be able to find something. We will be leaving the green trees, fields of Greece, and be heading into vast sands of Turkey and eastwards. Really something to look forward to is that we will be flying some country that like to take pot shots at low flying aircraft. Hehe, who said it would be easy, if I find that person I am going pop him in the nose. See you next time.

On the road to Cyprus.

Hello Folks,

OK, sure don't know where to start this note. Might as well start at the first thing after landing at Santorini, we left there heading for Karpathos, but thing got a little tricky for Dudley and myself we have used more fuel than we allowed for. We landed at Karpathos in order to fuel up and grab some sandwichs, and then hope over to where Willy and Moses landed. From there, after we all got together, headed for Kastelorizo( spelling) Which was a nice flight, just a little head wind and cross wind for landing. Last night, Moses and Dudley and I headed LGPH Pafos. Willy and Fred stayed behind in order to do some TLC on the Beech and will be with us, hopefully, as we head to Z190.

Surrounded by Beeches on the ramp in Jerusalem.

Forgot to take any pics last night, but we flew on to Alexandria, Egypt yesterday. I've switched to something a little fast in anticipation of longer flight legs ahead.

Hello all, long time no see. hehe.

Well heck, after some problems along the way into Egypt after landing we ran into the local custom folks and to me looked also like some people from the military. Now these folks went thru the caribou like a hurricane leaving nothing untouched. It going to take Dudley and I a few hours to put all back into there correct place. Another thing that kept us at Port Said (HEPS) was some minor problems with the Caribou which took some time waiting for parts to be delivered, but alas they finally got here, and the custom folk passed on that we were OK to continue our flight to HEAX Alexandria. Gee, that was nice of them (*&&^%^%). Well, back to the flight, it was an very enjoyable flight and we all make it down OK. Hehe, and the corn dog sticks were delivered just on time.

A couple of pics from Cairo

Had a slight traffic problem on short final

Moses found some shade from the desert sun

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-oct-27-002.jpg   Flt 19-2017-oct-27-003.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0