SIM SKUNK WORKS F-84 - Developer Proposal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIM SKUNK WORKS F-84 - Developer Proposal

SIM SKUNK WORKS F-84 - Developer Proposal

I just recently saw that you are now selling this item on JustFlight website! I REALLY REALLY want to purchase this item. My ONLY issue with it (and it's not stopping me from purchasing) but I would love to work with you on updating the .mdl material settings. I really want to paint this thing with realistic metallic textures. Currently it's not setup to do so. Same goes for F-104...PM me if interested. I really think that this F-84 would do very well in a Korean Campaign along side the Milviz F-86F-30 using TacPack. These changes shouldn't adversely affect your current paints other than to improve them if you are using alpha channel at all right now. If I've got the wrong information please correct me. I'm going off of asking another very respected and experienced painter who owns it. Thank you for your time!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I'd be curious to know if the JF product still requires the same SSW registration key or if they've changed their process.

I purchased mine from SSW when it was first released. I shortly discovered that my ISP would not allow their e-mails, so I had to resort to FB to contact them and get my registration key. Then it seemed that whenever something changed on my system, I had to get an updated key. It became such a hassle, I put the aircraft offline and haven't flown it since.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    I just recently saw that you are now selling this item on JustFlight website! I REALLY REALLY want to purchase this item. My ONLY issue with it (and it's not stopping me from purchasing) but I would love to work with you on updating the .mdl material settings. I really want to paint this thing with realistic metallic textures. Currently it's not setup to do so. Same goes for F-104...PM me if interested. I really think that this F-84 would do very well in a Korean Campaign along side the Milviz F-86F-30 using TacPack. These changes shouldn't adversely affect your current paints other than to improve them if you are using alpha channel at all right now. If I've got the wrong information please correct me. I'm going off of asking another very respected and experienced painter who owns it. Thank you for your time!
    Rick, I can get a reasonably good match to a worn natural metal finish with both these. Both, unlike the original Milviz Sabre, are set up for spec and reflectivity but most of the metallic properties derive from the spec. To get reflectivity on the F-84 the alpha channel has to be very dark as it is set low; conversely spec is set very high. This is the way Alessandro Barbarini has set it up for them so I'm not sure the original paints shipped with the model would work so well. But I'm sure the SSW team would be happy for you to put your own settings on the .mdl file for your own use as you are the genius at producing polished metal, no doubt! Whether they would be happy for this new model to be shared I obviously cannot say.

Best regards

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I'd be curious to know if the JF product still requires the same SSW registration key or if they've changed their process.

I purchased mine from SSW when it was first released. I shortly discovered that my ISP would not allow their e-mails, so I had to resort to FB to contact them and get my registration key. Then it seemed that whenever something changed on my system, I had to get an updated key. It became such a hassle, I put the aircraft offline and haven't flown it since.
    After reading the system requirements on the JF site, my conclusion is that the same horrible SSW licensing keys are used if you buy from JF. I can imagine you gave up, my F-104/Harrier keys expired too many times when something changed in my PC BIOS/hardware settings so I stopped requesting new keys.

Actually that's very good input DaveQ! Since I don't have the model I can't say for sure. I'm relying on word of mouth from guys like you who are expert repainters. But I do trust your judgement. If I can be done, then that's all that's needs to be. Does this model use a FRESNEL to affect specular only in the exterior textures?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Hey Rick,

I have both and done a couple of F-104 repaints. I think they support what you need to get your metallic gleams diffuse + alpha and spec + alpha, including the setting for environment reflection. - Brian

Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Thanks gentlemen.... I'll trust your input and pull the trigger....now which one?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I'm a sucker for the zipper but I think the hog is the better model both inside and out.

EDIT - but before you do, make sure you can get the hog paint kit, cuz I can't find one for it.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Exterior things:
    Unfortunately, the "Hog" pilot can not be removed!
    Just electric carter!
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    I'm a sucker for the zipper but I think the hog is the better model both inside and out.

EDIT - but before you do, make sure you can get the hog paint kit, cuz I can't find one for it.
    last page

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4-v4-available

Actually that's very good input DaveQ! Since I don't have the model I can't say for sure. I'm relying on word of mouth from guys like you who are expert repainters. But I do trust your judgement. If I can be done, then that's all that's needs to be. Does this model use a FRESNEL to affect specular only in the exterior textures?
    Fresnel is set for spec and reflective.

DaveQ

PS. For which I prefer see signature!
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

By now, ModelConverterX should be capable enough to just change the material properties in the .mdl yourself.
    This leaves the issue of distribution, but maybe politely asking the devs is all it takes.

I'm not sure that would work on SSW models. I once tried to simply adjust the model radius on their F104 and that broke their activation scheme. I doubt you could alter the .mdl in any way and have it work.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    After reading the system requirements on the JF site, my conclusion is that the same horrible SSW licensing keys are used if you buy from JF. I can imagine you gave up, my F-104/Harrier keys expired too many times when something changed in my PC BIOS/hardware settings so I stopped requesting new keys.
    My i ask how many times your key has been invalidated before your patience ended ?
    Most of users that had to ask for regenerate a key did it once, very very few had to do it several times.
    Most of time keys are sent within minutes, sometime we delay due to time zone, a New Zeland or Australian guy most probably asks for a key when here is night.
    Our licensing procedure may seem "odd" or even "horrible", however it protects user withdrawal/refund right and also us against piracy, more over it adheres perfectly to Italian and European laws in this field.
    We have more than thousand of users and most of them are pretty much happy with our licensing procedure and support we give them, we never hoped to hit 100%.
    regards
    /SSW
    BTW:
    To those who will want to read our refund policy is below, as aside note i can quote what one the largest world wide publisher has said about our policy:
    I really wish we had an actual law like you mentioned in your link, here in the U.S.!

SIM SKUNK WORKS WITHDRAWAL AND REFUND POLICY

GENERAL CONSIDERATIONS
    According to Italian and European laws if the customer receives the activation key is meant that the software is "unsealed" and thus looses the right of withdrawal and refund because it is a necessary condition for it that the software is returned certainly and "sealed."
    SSW complying with the law, protecting his resources and customers right, leaves freedom to buy the product, test it (with a reasonable time limit) and decide whether "unseal" or not, which occurs with the request of the activation key, request that can be delayed at will by the customer.
    Instruction for automatic or manual activation key request is written clearly on the documentation on the site site under "How to.".

REFUND CONDITIONS
    Having said the above, the refund may be requested if:
    It has not gone more than 14 days from the day of purchase
    It was not asked and sent the software activation key

JURISPRUDENCE ON THE RIGHT OF WITHDRAWAL AND REFUND
    Article 55, paragraph 2, letter. d) of Legislative Decree no. 206/2005, states that "is excluded the application of the articles on the right of withdrawal in cases of " supply of audiovisual products or computer software unsealed by consumer."
    Is widely accepted by jurisprudence that can be considered as still sealed software, one that, despite having been downloaded directly from the manufacturer in the form of self-installing file, requires the installation of the product on your personal computer and the subsequent final activation by inserting special codes provided by the same manufacturer or distributor.
    In such cases, the software installed but activated with the key can not still be considered "immaterial" sealed and the consumer can not be given the right of withdrawal.
    The rule seems appropriate, otherwise no one could be certain that the request of the right of withdrawal is not a pretext to obtain a refund and keep using the product, in fact it is not possible to ascertain the necessary condition to the withdrawal, the return of unsealed product itself.
    Last edited by SSW1; September 30th, 2017 at 05:31.
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/images/ssw_sig.png

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post

It happens more and more often that mail providers block the messages that contain our attachments, this could be reasonable as long as the same providers alerted the sender or recipient that the message was blocked giving the reason why, unfortunately this does not happen and creates some problems with our users who blame us for the lack of reception, we apologize but is out of our control.
    It would be good for these users to complain with providers that do not respect the rules.
    /SSW

As a computer programmer, anything that is copy protected in any way or form will never ever land on my system. Any scheme is trivial to overcome if you have even a modicum of skill. This is why copy protection disappeared many, many years ago on productivity software (Word Processing, Database and Spreadsheet programs). Copy protection serves only to make life difficult for legitimate owners.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by SSW1 View Post
    It happens more and more often that mail providers block the messages that contain our attachments, this could be reasonable as long as the same providers alerted the sender or recipient that the message was blocked giving the reason why, unfortunately this does not happen and creates some problems with our users who blame us for the lack of reception, we apologize but is out of our control.
    It would be good for these users to complain with providers that do not respect the rules.
    /SSW
    "Been there, done that" and got nowhere. Sorry.

It would be good if SSW could change the product registration process. That you do have in your control.

I applaud SSWs efforts to combat piracy and loved the Hog, but the registration key exchange process just didn't work for me in light of the e-mail issue with my ISP.
    -- WH

My i ask how many times your key has been invalidated before your patience ended ?
    Most of users that had to ask for regenerate a key did it once, very very few had to do it several times. (...)
    At least 5 times for each of the 3 SSW addons I have, from 2011 when I bought the F-104S till ca. 2015 when I gave up. I fully agree that SSW was usually very responsive sending new keys but that is not my point. I just find it too frustrating when I want to launch the addon I own and payed for and I can't because the key is invalid. I really do not want to continue this debate, I can live without SSW addons, there are enough other addons to enjoy. Obviously SSW has every right to use whatever DRM they want but I would start buying SSW product again the moment SSW would adopt the JF wrappers (which are also well protected against piracy but much more user friendly).

Cheers, Henk Schuitemaker.

Most of users that had to ask for regenerate a key did it once, very very few had to do it several times...
    With my single purchase at least 4 times over 7 months.

I never could understand what triggered having an invalid registration key in the first place. I had only assumed it was related to updates to my OS, hardware or drivers.
    -- WH

Guys thanks for replies. I definitely didn't anticipate this turning into a discussion about the product protection but it's been valuable nonetheless. I didn't realize that it was such a hassle to get installed. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I too will avoid these products. Not out of malice I think they look amazing, but I too am utterly and completely done with these types of invasive, and overly time consuming methods of "protection". I've never purchased from SSW before, so I'm sorry if this is a sore spot for some. I'm unwilling to pay upwards of $60 for an add-on I can't install or uninstall or change out PC parts at will and not be able to be up and running immediately upon completion. Good luck to you all. SSW, highly recommend you switch to something less cumbersome. This is the sole reason I'm not purchasing. Your work looks amazing and from what I've read they are great aircraft. All the best,

Rick
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Guys thanks for replies. I definitely didn't anticipate this turning into a discussion about the product protection but it's been valuable nonetheless. I didn't realize that it was such a hassle to get installed. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I too will avoid these products. Not out of malice I think they look amazing, but I too am utterly and completely done with these types of invasive, and overly time consuming methods of "protection". I've never purchased from SSW before, so I'm sorry if this is a sore spot for some. I'm unwilling to pay upwards of $60 for an add-on I can't install or uninstall or change out PC parts at will and not be able to be up and running immediately upon completion. Good luck to you all. SSW, highly recommend you switch to something less cumbersome. This is the sole reason I'm not purchasing. Your work looks amazing and from what I've read they are great aircraft. All the best,

Rick
    every opinion deserves respect, as we have said we do not have the claim to make everyone happy, we do not target 100%, we are not business oriented, better some less customer but also some less concern. We will bear not to have you among our customers.
    /SSW

every opinion deserves respect, as we have said we do not have the claim to make everyone happy, we do not target 100%, we are not business oriented, better some less customer but also some less concern. We will bear not to have you among our customers.
    /SSW
    Completely understand. No bad feelings here! Good luck in your endeavors.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Rick
    +1 My sentiments exactly.
    Mike M.​

Well, I have a great ISP and I have Mario on FB messenger or email faster than the speed of light and unless he has his dinner, the key will be there pretty fast ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DagR View Post
    Well, I have a great ISP and I have Mario on FB messenger or email faster than the speed of light and unless he has his dinner, the key will be there pretty fast ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Dag, if this is true then you've got my attention. I'll do FB messenger. That is basically immediate.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 1