offline play

Thread: offline play

offline play

Can't play CFS3 single-player while offline. Rundll32 / processor @ 96% - Game never loads. When I reestablish an internet connection, everything's fine. Seems weird.
    Anyone know how to fix so CFS3 can be played without an internet connection? Thanks

Single Player

Hi which version are you using? basic,upgraded,ETO Expansion?
    alcanallen.

offline play

using basic cfs3.1 - thanks

Don't assume the problem is with CFS3. That rundll32 process hogs the PC when you're not connected? That's because rundll32 is trying to connect some as yet unidentified process to the net - it enables processes in dlls to run. CFS3 can't load when offline because rundll32 is trying very hard to connect some other process to the net. Find that process, kill it and you'll be able to do whatever offline. It may be software trying to update (including failed Windows updates...), idiot programs checking Facebook feeds (woohoo ), cloud syncronising or even malware/virus/DDoS stuff.

A google search will throw up some answers.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

rundll32 problem

Thanks Tom. I'll see if I can find out who the culprit is.

CFS3 Rundll32 CPU hog SOLVED!

For anyone else wanting to run CFS3 while offline, thanks to Tom's suggestion, I've discovered that starting some older games can cause rundll32.exe to open gameux.dll @ near 100% CPU Usage!
    For Windows (I have W7-sp1) users, locate the gameux.dll in both the System32 and SysWOW64 folders and rename them (eg. gameux_X.dll). If you run into any problems (I haven't), rename them
    back to the originals.
    All is now quiet on the European front.

Good to hear you nailed the blighter. :-)
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

MS Games Explorer

The problem is with a Vista/Win7 feature called Games Explorer: it lets you run games from a single folder location within Windows and supplies ratings info, box art, system requirements, game statistics and yadda yadda. That is, if the game is made to conform to the MS specs for Games Explorer: it downloads this stuff from the net and searches for updates, patches etc when you start the game. Older titles not supporting the GE specs are likely to choke looking for nonexistent game info when you're offline.

I'd suggest removing CFS3 from the Games Explorer folder and running it from a standard shortcut instead - like most of us old farts do...
    Tom

I don't have a Games Explorer folder. Anyway, the renaming fix worked and caused no other problems.

Members who have read this thread: 0