Twin Otter question

Thread: Twin Otter question

Twin Otter question

Hi everyone, I purchased the Aerosoft Twin Otter X a while a go and was wondering if there were any opinions on springing for the latest Twin Otter Extended version. Worth the upgrade? The panels do look much nicer on the extended version.

Thanks,
    LouP

If you are a fan of the TwOtter, I highly recommend that you buy the latest and greatest. It is about as accurate a representation of the TwOtter as I think you could do for FlightSim. I have quite a bit of time in the airplane, so I can attest to that. The one limit that faces the modeling of all the deHavilland types is, getting the Lift/Drag performance right when the airplane is in the "STOL" configuration.

The TwOtter is a pretty straight forward airplane when you operate it 10 and 20 degrees of flap, 82 knots and below taking off and landing like any other airplane. Most Airlines and a lot of modem operators still mandate that they are flown that way. But the Twin Otter becomes quite a different rascal with really sharp "teeth" when you start working the 30 to full flap range. Full flap go-arounds, or an engine failure at this point becomes a major challenge. You have to ease the power back in to prevent the nose from pitching up and stalling....getting back to 20 then 10 degrees of flaps to have any hopes of flying away while un-naturally pushing forward on the yoke to maintain airspeed as the airplane feels as though it is levitating up, tail first....nose down. It is a sensation that is "Pure deHavilland!" This new version of the Twin Otter and the recent MilViz Beaver both do a good job of modeling the Take-off performance, and letting you feel the power of the flaps. Unfortunately the speed still increases to unrealistic levels when trying to do STOL approaches. If you practice...you can develop a technique that realistically allows you to make some amazing short takeoffs and landings.

Just Do It... you won't regret it.

Thank you for the information. I always have enjoyed the Twotter but was never satisfied with vc in the "X" version.

LouP

the only drawback in the upgrade you no longer get the skydiving model, other than that everything else is been updated nicely

Thanks again guys. Picked this up on a great deal using the upgrade price since I owned the Twin Otter X. Much better and improved over the X version and having a blast flying her.

LouP

I'm am glad you bought it and are enjoying it! I didn't think you'd regret it...

Members who have read this thread: 0