Win10, P3D_V4 and TrackIR

Thread: Win10, P3D_V4 and TrackIR

Win10, P3D_V4 and TrackIR

I had this combination working up to the point where I messed with trying to get into the BIOS. After I was forced to reinstall Win10. . .AGAIN, I haven't had any luck since. I have tried all 4 drivers posted on the NaturalPoint Website. I have tried setting the program to run as administrator or not. I have set the compatibility mode to Win8, or Win7. . .nada. All I get is one light on the camera and that's it.

Has anyone had similar problems and been able to get TIR working?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I had this happen on a new computer with windows 10 and P3D v3.4. I believe I fixed it by installing one of the simconnect.msi that can be found in redist folder. It was either the FSX Accel SP1 or FSX RTM variant. You can install both without it interfering with each other.

Blog Entries
    All of those work together Ed.
    I run the current update, as administrator, with no induced artifacts or glitches from the Natural Point software, so we'll assume the setup is stable.
    I'm using the clip Pro version.

I often times see odd feedback from the led indicators, usually in sketch lighting conditions, but things smooth out when I darken the studio, or at least eliminate the glare sources that bork the reader.

Are you able to access the TackIR user interface?
    If so, how does your device respond to the 3D grid and camera calibrations in the interface?

I'll assume you got your BIOS squared away.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    . . . . .I'm using the clip Pro version.
    Same here TrackIR5 with Pro Clip

Are you able to access the TackIR user interface?
    Yes, it pops up in-sim as soon as I double click the TIR icon

If so, how does your device respond to the 3D grid and camera calibrations in the interface?
    Prior to the last reinstallation of Win10, the interface loaded, I got two yellow LED's on the camera, the interface minimized and I was flying. . .all within less than 20 seconds. Now the interface pops up, I get one LED on the camera and the menu sits there until I close it out (same with every single driver I've tried)

I'll assume you got your BIOS squared away.
    Yes I did, actually there was nothing in it I understood and after the mess I made the first time, I decided to leave well enough alone.

Current System Specs:

Just a thought, but since this is a new installation of Win10, I noticed I have no .Net Framework installations yet. . .are those required for anything related to this Sim?

Apparently 4.6.2 is installed although it isn't listed anywhere. I tried to install and it quit because it says it's already installed.

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    My camera has fallen on it's head so many times I never know what to expect from it. I just fired mine up and get one yellow, but the head unit tracks until I move it out of range.

I'm scratching my head with your symptoms. It sounds like the head unit is not communicating with the camera, but why?
    USB and wiring...I'm sure you already looked at that. Checked another device on the USB...you've done that too I'll bet.

Right now I'm at the end of a 18 hour day and kind of worthless, but let me think on it when I re-boot in the AM.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

My camera has fallen on it's head so many times I never know what to expect from it. I just fired mine up and get one yellow, but the head unit tracks until I move it out of range.

I'm scratching my head with your symptoms. It sounds like the head unit is not communicating with the camera, but why?
    USB and wiring...I'm sure you already looked at that. Checked another device on the USB...you've done that too I'll bet.

Right now I'm at the end of a 18 hour day and kind of worthless, but let me think on it when I re-boot in the AM.
    Headed to bed here also Gordon. Fresh eyes in the morning!

Current System Specs:

Have you run the legacy simconnect installers like evvatc suggested above? It might be the culprit.

Dimus, I did run one of them but not both. Problem is unless those were automatically installed prior to this whole mess about a week ago I have never run those in the past and TrackIR had always run very well.

Current System Specs:

I think it does not hurt to run all of them just for the sake of it. I think I remember that I had a similar issue and that's how I solved it but my memory is not always reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I think it does not hurt to run all of them just for the sake of it. I think I remember that I had a similar issue and that's how I solved it but my memory is not always reliable.
    Well, I have run both of those and tried every driver version on the NaturalPoint website. As mentioned above I have also tried each driver in each possible configuration and none of them give me the two LED lights on the TrackIR5 camera. I'm going to post this as a last resort on the Natural Point Forums but I don't expect anything from them that will fix it.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Just a thought, but since this is a new installation of Win10, I noticed I have no .Net Framework installations yet. . .are those required for anything related to this Sim?

Apparently 4.6.2 is installed although it isn't listed anywhere. I tried to install and it quit because it says it's already installed.
    AFAIK, this is correct. I just moved to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and everything I've run that I know requires. .NET has worked fine despite me not installing it or seeing it in the installed programs list.

Second, there are three Sim connect installers that you should run IIRC.
    Last edited by odourboy; September 22nd, 2017 at 11:57.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Blog Entries
    Morning Ed,

I woke up with an idea.

When you load the Sim and TrackIR and you see the one light, I'm assuming it's the light on the left of the camera.
    At this point you still have no activity on the TIR interface from what you have indicated.

When you load the actual mission, does the right hand light go active?
    Thomas Jefferson

Morning Ed,

I woke up with an idea.

When you load the Sim and TrackIR and you see the one light, I'm assuming it's the light on the left of the camera.
    At this point you still have no activity on the TIR interface from what you have indicated.

When you load the actual mission, does the right hand light go active?
    Well, when I load the interface and move my head, I have movement in the interface. . .even with just the single light, but at that point I'm already sitting in the aircraft ready to fly. However there is no movement in the Sim and the right hand light never comes on.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    AFAIK, this is correct. I just moved to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and everything I've run that I know requires. .NET has worked fine despite me not installing it or seeing it in the installed programs list.

Second, there are three Sim connect installers that you should run IIRC.
    I'm in the dark on this "simconnect installation" thing. I was always under the assumption that simconnect was a product of the P3DV_4 or any other sims installation. As long as I've been flying I've never done any manual installations for that and never saw any suggestion as part of the installation that it was a requirement.

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    Are you using ChasePlane or EzDok Ed?
    Thomas Jefferson

Are you using ChasePlane or EzDok Ed?
    No, just TrackIR. I am beginning to look at the latest Win10 installation and the updates that were automatically installed as part of that as the culprit. Nothing else makes any sense. None of the 4 driver versions work, makes no difference if I set them to run as Admin or not. Changing Compatibility modes has no effect and while I have read posts in Natural Point that seem to indicate similar problems, they were all solved by either reinstalling a different driver, uninstalling their NVidia drivers and then reinstalling them after the TrackIR drivers were installed or some other minor fix. I have tried everything and I still only get one LED when I load the interface and it remains that way.

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    No, just TrackIR. I am beginning to look at the latest Win10 installation and the updates that were automatically installed as part of that as the culprit. Nothing else makes any sense. None of the 4 driver versions work, makes no difference if I set them to run as Admin or not. Changing Compatibility modes has no effect and while I have read posts in Natural Point that seem to indicate similar problems, they were all solved by either reinstalling a different driver, uninstalling their NVidia drivers and then reinstalling them after the TrackIR drivers were installed or some other minor fix. I have tried everything and I still only get one LED when I load the interface and it remains that way.
    It's obviously an issue with comms.

My tech friend feels there is an issue with NVIDIA/Windows10/DirectX. Current Win10 updates are causing issues with DirectX on many NVIDIA cards.

He recommended this:
    "For the time being, roll back to a previous version of the Nvidia Gforce drivers, disable the Physx and Experience. *Just cleanly install the drivers"

At least you have high confidence in your headset and TrackIR software. That eliminates an issue with the actual hardware.

I've been getting buggy behaviors system wide lately, at an increasing rate. I'm spending wayyy too much time chasing ghosts out of my machine too.
    Thomas Jefferson

It's obviously an issue with comms.

My tech friend feels there is an issue with NVIDIA/Windows10/DirectX. Current Win10 updates are causing issues with DirectX on many NVIDIA cards.

He recommended this:
    "For the time being, roll back to a previous version of the Nvidia Gforce drivers, disable the Physx and Experience. *Just cleanly install the drivers"

At least you have high confidence in your headset and TrackIR software. That eliminates an issue with the actual hardware.

I've been getting buggy behaviors system wide lately, at an increasing rate. I'm spending wayyy too much time chasing ghosts out of my machine too.
    lol, I did that last evening Gordon. I didn't test it until this morning though. I completely uninstalled all NVidia drivers, ran CCleaner then went in and did a manual search for any leftovers. Next I ran the NVidia Installation for an earlier NVidia Driver and only installed the graphics drivers. As you can see, it made no difference. One note, at the bottom right of the interface there are three lights. . .the first two are lit, the last one (blue) is not which apparently indicates that TrackIR does not recognize P3D at all.

UPDATE: Got it. I went back and copied one more simconnect.msi file and placed it in the Prepar3D root folder and then ran the installer from there (FSX-SP2-XPACK). Went back to P3D and both lights popped on and the interface minimized. WooHoo, lol.

Current System Specs:

Great news Ed! Now enjoy!

I'm in the dark on this "simconnect installation" thing. I was always under the assumption that simconnect was a product of the P3DV_4 or any other sims installation. As long as I've been flying I've never done any manual installations for that and never saw any suggestion as part of the installation that it was a requirement.
    No idea why LM doesn't just install all the variants as a matter of course during installation. I think it would save everyone some head-aches. With some past releases, they actually did. And if you'd installed FSX/FSX ACC on your system, it installs a couple of them for you anyway, so it masks the fact that P3D didn't install them even though they're providing a required interface into the sim.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Definitely good information odourboy. These probably were installed on my system (I had FSX/Accel installed at one time) right up to the point that I messed with the BIOS and had to reinstall Win10. . . .which then removed them.

Anyway, all seems to be running fine thus far. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with observations, suggestions, words of encouragement, etc, etc. It has been very much appreciated and eventually led to the correct combination.

Current System Specs:

Great to hear you got it working! It can be so frustrating at times.

Blog Entries
    Well....that was easy. lol

Good one Ed. Tenacity and perseverance....
    Thomas Jefferson

Well....that was easy. lol

Good one Ed. Tenacity and perseverance....
    Yep, Nothin' to it Gordon, lol. . . .Piece a cake!!

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0